• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

MissySki

Angel Diva
Probably every mountain ski school everywhere is in need of extra help teaching that week. If anyone in the New England area wants to try ski instruction, call your local mountain ski school and ask if they need part-time help for Feb. Vacation week. You can probably teach any three-day stretch during that week and they would appreciate it. Hope for a season pass for next year.

Even if you have no experience?

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The way it seems is that you have to know how to ski/ride to be an instructor. I have friends that teach that have no certifications!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, many ski schools will hire you even if you have no previous teaching experience.

If you are interested, just call the SSD, ski school director. At two mountains where I've worked, the SSD and his buddies start calling the ski clubs for anybody who skis who might be willing to teach after they exhaust their lists of ski instructors who no longer work for them. I have no idea how much training these rookie instructors are given, but I do know people who know nothing about teaching are brought in to teach.

British kids are on vacation and flood into New England to ski about this time of year, adding to the huge numbers of lower NE state residents skiing during their Feb. vacation week. Staffing is low anyway, and very much overpowered at this point in the season.

If you contact a ski school, know as you call that you are really needed. You might even consider bargaining if possible for what you want in return for your service. I'm not sure they are willing to negotiate compensation, but I know that the mountains where I've worked do get desperate.

It is my understanding that you will be a "volunteer" with perks for pay, rather than an "employee" on staff. I think. That's a question you'll need to ask. It sounds like Gunstock pays actual $$. You should also ask about liability coverage in case someone in your charge gets broken and sues you and the mountain. Vacationers do get broken, but usually don't sue.

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just signed up for the "Ladies Day Extravaganza at Mount Sunapee on March 12. Anyone else going? They will have demos, a clinic, etc. Cost is $35, plus $25 if you need a ticket, $45 for a 1.5 hour clinic and lunch.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just signed up for the "Ladies Day Extravaganza at Mount Sunapee on March 12. Anyone else going? They will have demos, a clinic, etc. Cost is $35, plus $25 if you need a ticket, $45 for a 1.5 hour clinic and lunch.

I’ve been thinking about it, but not sure yet. My birthday is the day before so I was planning to take it off work and ski. Wouldn’t likely do the Tuesday as well if I take off Monday, so have to decide on that first.

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you share what it's about? I'd consider going...but I'll be returning from a ski-cation that Monday...

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm - I might consider it - my husband is going to be away sometime in March, so if that is the week, I'm in! It would be nice to meet up with some of you!

(Also need to check on work stuff.........it always gets in the way of my ski plans)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just signed up, looking forward to it! I’ve really been wanting to do a lesson in general, so it’ll be nice to have the clinic. I’ve also never been to Sunapee, so it’ll be nice to check it out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just signed up, looking forward to it! I’ve really been wanting to do a lesson in general, so it’ll be nice to have the clinic. I’ve also never been to Sunapee, so it’ll be nice to check it out.
Sunapee has a great view. Went during early season a few years ago so no much was open. As I remember, the base lodge that is farther from the entrance to the parking lot is the better one. Has free bag check.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf lost its 120 ft tall summit communications tower (which has probably been there 40 years) on Monday afternoon. It just folded over in half. Lifts shut down Monday at 2:00 and did not open at all on Tuesday. Anonometer at summit maxed out at 100 mph, so winds were in excess of 100 mph.

Mt Washington reported winds of 171 mph, the highest ever recorded in February.

FARsugarloaftower-1024x768.jpg

Zard

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone else going?

I’m considering since most of my team at work will be away at a conference that week, anyone have any opinions on the clinic? I’m hesitant to sign up and then miss out on the other activities that day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf lost its 120 ft tall summit communications tower (which has probably been there 40 years) on Monday afternoon. It just folded over in half. Lifts shut down Monday at 2:00 and did not open at all on Tuesday. Anonometer at summit maxed out at 100 mph, so winds were in excess of 100 mph.

Mt Washington reported winds of 171 mph, the highest ever recorded in February.
Wow!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone else going?

I’m considering since most of my team at work will be away at a conference that week, anyone have any opinions on the clinic? I’m hesitant to sign up and then miss out on the other activities that day.
The clinic is from 10:30- 12, and nothing else seems to be scheduled at that time, except for demos. I did sign up for the clinic, but since you pay on the day I am assuming if I have second thoughts about that part last minute it will be no biggie. One of the deciding factors for me will be if my 20 year old joins me for a ski day (March break from college). Skiing with her trumps a clinic-- unless she wants a clinic herself, that is.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone else going?

I too signed up for the clinic, but figured I'd see how I felt about it when the day comes. Like @diymom said, I didn't really see anything else happening in that time frame on the schedule. Can be a nice way to get grouped with skiers of similar ability and it's always great to pick up some tips! I haven't taken a group lesson in a long time, and actually am this weekend at Sunday River only because it was so cheap with the on mountain hotel stay I'm doing so I thought, why not? Might be interesting to compare the two. I have never skied at Sunapee either, so I wouldn't mind someone else leading! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna