• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmmm well I guess we'll see. Hopefully some lifts will run..! (Now is when I wish I had AT gear) Otherwise the bars are gonna be CROWDED lol. They probably will be regardless with how much is booked up, at least I can get to the Shipyard easily from the Summit hotel

Is a blizzard a good time to try cross country if all else fails? :rotf: Could bring snowshoes.

Lemme know what you decide! And WOW on Wildcat amounts?!?! But yeah that drive would likely be something else!

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva
For a decent resort (not so much for challenge but just snowpack, grooming, and being shielded from wind) Bretton Woods is always a solid bet. Despite having skied this mountain since one of my first ever real ski trips as a little one, it’s consistently been that old, dependable friend I go back to when conditions get rough and variable or if I take someone to ski who hasn’t been out east before. You don’t go for something new, but rather the consistency. Every single time I’ve been “snowed in” at a resort, it’s been because my family chose to drive up before the storm to Bretton Woods, and not once have I ever encountered winds closing down a lift! So for anyone who’s hoping to get a snowy mountain almost all to themselves in NH/ME area, I highly recommend it for escaping high speed winds.

lenap3

Certified Ski Diva
Hmmm well I guess we'll see. Hopefully some lifts will run..! (Now is when I wish I had AT gear) Otherwise the bars are gonna be CROWDED lol. They probably will be regardless with how much is booked up, at least I can get to the Shipyard easily from the Summit hotel

Is a blizzard a good time to try cross country if all else fails? :rotf: Could bring snowshoes.

Lemme know what you decide! And WOW on Wildcat amounts?!?! But yeah that drive would likely be something else!

Do you think SR will be ok running lifts on Monday? Trying to coax my BF back out on skis with me then and SR happens to be oh so conveniently 45 minutes from his dorm haha.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Do you think SR will be ok running lifts on Monday? Trying to coax my BF back out on skis with me then and SR happens to be oh so conveniently 45 minutes from his dorm haha.

Not sure if you follow Ski The East, but they have a weatherman who does a weekly Snowcast and he is usually pretty good. He's calling for high winds everywhere Sunday, but saying get to your destination before the storm and take off Monday from work. So I took that to mean yes for better wind then?. However, it is supposed to be extremely cold Monday if that matters. I was planning to just ski Saturday and Sunday and play Monday by ear, thinking that would be the windy day but if skiing is limited Sunday I'll be hoping to ski Monday too. I'm really hoping for some turns Sunday in the storm!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Holy moly, Batman! 12-18"!!!
:yahoo:

Saturday evening start, all day Sunday.
Monday, however, does look windy. At Sunday River, that typically affects the west side lifts (Jordan, heading east to Spruce, which usually stays open - or tries) and the Chondola. Also bitterly cold. So - heads up.
Sunday is a Gore-Tex outerwear, fat-ski day for SURE.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Holy moly, Batman! 12-18"!!!
:yahoo:

Saturday evening start, all day Sunday.
Monday, however, does look windy. At Sunday River, that typically affects the west side lifts (Jordan, heading east to Spruce, which usually stays open - or tries) and the Chondola. Also bitterly cold. So - heads up.
Sunday is a Gore-Tex outerwear, fat-ski day for SURE.

Wait, so which outlet are you following for weather? I see some saying worse wind Sunday and some Monday.. I will def have lots of layer and outerwear options along with a couple of ski choices. So excited! Also found a plow guy for home, so that's all set.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wait, so which outlet are you following for weather?
TV: WMTW, Portland. Online: intellicast, accuweather.
It will be windy, eventually. Forecasters are variable as to precisely when.
Oh heck, go enjoy, dress warm, etc.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Weather reports continue to be all over, most of them fully admitting this is a tough storm to track and predict. Wildcats prediction amounts have dropped to a measly 27 inches.

I’d say no to xcountry :laughter:. But yes to snowshoes (and a backpack that will carry skis). If lifts are in hold, it might be worth going for a little trek up part of the mountain.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Weather reports continue to be all over...
TV meteorologist last evening said that the long range models for the storm are largely in the hands of the National Weather Service, most of whom are furloughed. :mad2:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Weather reports continue to be all over, most of them fully admitting this is a tough storm to track and predict. Wildcats prediction amounts have dropped to a measly 27 inches.

I’d say no to xcountry :laughter:. But yes to snowshoes (and a backpack that will carry skis). If lifts are in hold, it might be worth going for a little trek up part of the mountain.

So I'm up for snowshoeing in general, but I'm not sure about bringing skis. I only say this because last time I did it was spring and it was still a beast to carry up skis AND boots in pleasant weather. Putting on ski boots in tons of new snow and blizzard conditions on top somewhere seems like it could majorly suck.. OR is there some way to hike in my actual ski boots with no hike mode? I don't imagine it'd be easy to keep snowshoes on the slippery surface..? I can't wait to do the AT class and see if I like it, then maybe I'll get some gear for future endeavors.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Putting on ski boots in tons of new snow and blizzard conditions on top somewhere seems like it could majorly suck.. OR is there some way to hike in my actual ski boots with no hike mode?

Oh man, I completely didn’t think about that aspect. Hiking without a walk mode is definitely possible, though nowhere near ideal...maybe just for a short stint.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all! Just discovered this thread thanks to another Diva! I pretty much only ski at Loon, occasional visits to Cannon, WV, Wildcat, and I do get up to VT once or twice a year. AND I'm going to Grand Targhee this March!!! Anywhooooo I'm 14 days at Loon and 1 day at my pipsqueak local mountain so 15 days total. Last weekend was killer at Loon, frigid temps on Saturday but Sunday was much warmer. We usually get to Loon for 8 am on Saturdays and Loon@Noon on Sundays. I also spend a good deal of time in the Bunyan with my mug... : ) I have the 20s pass. This is my second year having it, last year it was called the Millennial. No access to SR or Sugarloaf, but with the same blackout dates. Maybe I'll meet some of you up there!!! I occasionally get out for mid-week skiing when I can, I'd love a ski buddy!

Hi SlyFox! :wave: We are primarily Loon skiers too :-) I usually have to work Saturdays, but we are often there Sundays and Mondays!

Still trying to figure out what to do this weekend...I have the Silver New England Pass, so blacked out Saturday and Sunday. If the wind holds out, I'd be more than willing to buy a pass and head up to Sunday River for Sunday. But also have a ticket for Wildcat (husband and I bought a four pack on discount early season). But if the winds are what they're saying, not sure if I want to buy a pass or use up two of our Wildcat tix...plus driving to Wildcat on Sunday sounds like it would be an adventure in itself!

Serious first world skier problems here.

We dont know what we are doing tomorrow either.....we are also blacked out on our Loon silver pass, and I am not sure about driving to another mountain - Cannon and Bretton Woods are not far, but they are predicting A LOT of snow........ maybe we will hunker down tomorrow and have a late brunch and then watch football and get out and ski early for Monday! (Brrrr)

elemmac

Angel Diva
We dont know what we are doing tomorrow either.....we are also blacked out on our Loon silver pass, and I am not sure about driving to another mountain - Cannon and Bretton Woods are not far, but they are predicting A LOT of snow........ maybe we will hunker down tomorrow and have a late brunch and then watch football and get out and ski early for Monday! (Brrrr)

The Silver pass always seems like such a good idea...until you get snow on a holiday week!!

I ended up making my way to Sunday River (having a condo there helps) so I don’t have to drive anywhere tomorrow, and planning on buying a day pass tomorrow. Hoping the weather is bad enough to keep the crowds low, but good enough to keep the lifts on.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Struggling at work today - should have called in and gone up - readingthe ski reports is killing me!

And of course, its a crazy annoying day at work :rolleyes::frusty::help:

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did an afternoon at Loon today, it was pretty great! Some steeper spots got scratched off back down to the ice, but it wasn't bad. They groomed some and left some untouched. Got a little tracked/bumped out later in the day. Woods were fun, but pretty much tracked out and made for some icy spots. I have a feeling this weekend is going to be madness everywhere!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gunstock is in need of part time instructors for February break weeks---

Gunstock is looking for a few good part-time ski and snowboard instructors for Massachusetts & New Hampshire vacation weeks (2/18-22; 2/25-3/1). Come teach lessons, make some extra money, and score a season pass good through the rest of the 18-19 season!
Apply Online Here:
https://www.gunstock.com/emplo…/employment/current-openings/

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably every mountain ski school everywhere is in need of extra help teaching that week. If anyone in the New England area wants to try ski instruction, call your local mountain ski school and ask if they need part-time help for Feb. Vacation week. You can probably teach any three-day stretch during that week and they would appreciate it. Hope for a season pass for next year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna