• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunday River is having a women's retreat (including skiing, of course) Jan. 4-6.- called the Holiday Hangover. Along with the skiing they will have yoga, demos from Coalition, sunrise hike up and ski down.

I considered this. But i am off this week and have other plans (skiing with family instead :-) )
Maybe next time!

I saw this and was tempted, except that I have the whole holiday week off so wasn't sure I want to take the first Friday back.. There is also now the complication that the Patriots might have to play that weekend (wildcard), and if that happens I'll be at the stadium either Saturday or Sunday. Definitely tempted depending how things work out though.

No wildcard game! :-) But Pats get the early game on Sun Jan 13 - 1:05 pm.
That doesn't fit in with my ski schedule!

Skied Loon yesterday - what a mixed bag of conditions! They got about 4" of new snow, but heavy, dense, wet snow - which bumped up, and then started to refreeze = crud. What a workout!
Predicted to get a few inches more tonight (here's hoping!)

MissySki

Angel Diva
I considered this. But i am off this week and have other plans (skiing with family instead :-) )
Maybe next time!

No wildcard game! :-) But Pats get the early game on Sun Jan 13 - 1:05 pm.
That doesn't fit in with my ski schedule!

Skied Loon yesterday - what a mixed bag of conditions! They got about 4" of new snow, but heavy, dense, wet snow - which bumped up, and then started to refreeze = crud. What a workout!
Predicted to get a few inches more tonight (here's hoping!)

Yes, so glad they have the bye this week!! Still couldn't convince myself to take tomorrow off after having 12 days off for Christmas and going away later this month for diva west, but hoping to ski somewhere closer for a day this weekend if the weather cooperates! I'll be at the game on the 13'th, excited for that, but I was kind of surprised we got the early slot this year. At least it's good for working the next day. Might try to get to Sunday River for the MLK long weekend, assuming that the Championship round will be in Kansas City and not in Foxboro, but ya never know if that will be the case, or if we'll even still be in it, so hard to plan days that far out at the moment..

Nice that Loon got snow, hopefully everyone is getting a little more today. Stinks that it wasn't nice powder though, the warm/freeze stuff going on the past couple of weeks is really annoying.. but right now any fresh snow is good for the mountains I suppose. I was supposed to get a coating or a little more of snow in MA this morning, but we didn't get anything. Kind of a good thing for my morning commute, but hopefully north country is whiter!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
A few inches last night and this morning in western Maine mountains. Now sunny.
BIG storm coming next Tuesday!
Crossing everything. Could be a foot-plus.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet did a nice overview of Cannon in a MOTH thread recently. Worth copying for general reference.

Cannon, NH

The Peabody (right in front of the Peabody lodge) chair spits people out at the upper end of mid-mountain. All paths down start with an icy drop that is difficult to navigate. Some skiers need to avoid the Peabody chair altogether for that reason. If you're game, then from the Peabody chair you can reach the Cannonball quad, which in turn takes you to the summit. It's a different climate up there compared to down at the lodge.

The Eaglecliff chair is your alternative to the Peabody chair. It doesn't get you as high on the mountain, but it still accesses a ton of terrain. You can get to the Zoomer chair from the top of Eaglecliff. Looping Zoomer for a while can be fun, as can looping Eaglecliff. From Eaglecliff you can head down to the Tram if you keep going to the right, you can ride the Tram up to the very top. You should definitely do this ride. There's a great cafe/bar up there at the top of the Tram worthy of a break. The trail called Tramway is the easiest way down from that summit, but it takes you to the top of Peabody lift (see above for warnings about that area of the mountain). Or ride the Tram back down. Tram rides are included with your lift ticket.

If you consider yourself a novice, stick to the Tuckerbrook area until you take your lesson. That is the area to your right as you exit the Peabody lodge. There are two chairs there, Brookside and Tuckerbrook. You can either build your confidence on easy terrain in that area or scare yourself silly on its short but steep headwalls.

If you are an advanced skier, you might want to head over to the Mittersill double. Barron's is the classic run over there. I really enjoy the ride up that old-fashioned double chair.

I'm not talking about glades here. Cannon's glades are tight and difficult. Its bumps are too. Its one easy bump run is at the top of the mountain - Vista Way. That trail is aptly named because it offers an amazing vista of the mountains across the highway. Mt. Lafayette is quite impressive.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI on Cannon...Eagle Cliff is not open mid-week except for holiday weeks and some random other weeks when "the Brits" are there. Which is a damn shame for less than advanced skiers - especially when the mid mountain is icy or socked in. You can maneuver from top of Peabody if you are aware of the possibilities & conditions without too much trouble much of the time, but it can be tough on spots.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Wildcat snowmaking team is one of six teams that made the cut in the SAM contest called I AM A SNOWMAKER for 2019. Can vote daily at until Jan. 14, 2019. https://www.saminfo.com/i-am-a-snowmaker

The Wildcat team is relatively small, only 3-4 people. I guess that means I saw all of them moving guns around on a trail under a lift a few weeks ago. The size of the snow whales was pretty impressive for mid-December.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, so glad they have the bye this week!! Still couldn't convince myself to take tomorrow off after having 12 days off for Christmas and going away later this month for diva west, but hoping to ski somewhere closer for a day this weekend if the weather cooperates! I'll be at the game on the 13'th, excited for that, but I was kind of surprised we got the early slot this year. At least it's good for working the next day. Might try to get to Sunday River for the MLK long weekend, assuming that the Championship round will be in Kansas City and not in Foxboro, but ya never know if that will be the case, or if we'll even still be in it, so hard to plan days that far out at the moment..

Nice that Loon got snow, hopefully everyone is getting a little more today. Stinks that it wasn't nice powder though, the warm/freeze stuff going on the past couple of weeks is really annoying.. but right now any fresh snow is good for the mountains I suppose. I was supposed to get a coating or a little more of snow in MA this morning, but we didn't get anything. Kind of a good thing for my morning commute, but hopefully north country is whiter!

Problems of being a skier and a Pats fan :wink: LOL
I think we are going to get to the mountain early and quit by 12 to watch the game!

Loon did get some nice snow last Thurs - about 6" overnight - while I was still there so that was a great day!

They got almost 19 out of this storm yesterday and today - of course I had to be back at work though - it's killing me seeing all the pictures and reports :frown:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Problems of being a skier and a Pats fan :wink: LOL
I think we are going to get to the mountain early and quit by 12 to watch the game!

Loon did get some nice snow last Thurs - about 6" overnight - while I was still there so that was a great day!

They got almost 19 out of this storm yesterday and today - of course I had to be back at work though - it's killing me seeing all the pictures and reports :frown:

I'm excited for the game, wish it was still supposed to snow though!

I was at Loon last Saturday, the conditions were good and held up really well. I imagine it must all be fantastic now! I've also been dying over all of the Facebook pictures the past couple of days, doesn't anyone work??? Lol The jealousy is real!

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm excited for the game, wish it was still supposed to snow though!

I was at Loon last Saturday, the conditions were good and held up really well. I imagine it must all be fantastic now! I've also been dying over all of the Facebook pictures the past couple of days, doesn't anyone work??? Lol The jealousy is real!

I wish it was still supposed to snow too - have great memories of snow games in Foxboro -Go Pats!

We were at Loon last Saturday too! Conditions were great, skied off by the end of the day, but that's a busy Saturday at Loon!

The jealousy is real - might come down with "a flu" when there's another storm like this one (couldn't this time after being on vacation last week! Hahaha

But we'll be back on Sunday (even if we have to quit early!)

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conditions were really nice this weekend at Cannon! The hubby and older kids (10 & 8) had fun exploing some new glades. The 10-year-old had been dying to ski the Kinsman glade, and was not disappointed! The conditions were so nice that I finally got the 5-year-old on some of the steeper blacks, and he skied them with really nice parallel turns (until he got tired in the afternoon)!

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amazing conditions at Loon this past Sun/Monday as well! I missed out on the huge storm they got during the week, but it made for great skiing the weekend.
Looks like more snow in the forecast for next weekend :-)

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just up at Bretton Woods, where I'll be teaching this upcoming season. The gondola will be done when they open the mountain for skiing; it's almost done now. It will definitely be used during ski season to deliver skiers to the summit. In the past it took two lift rides to get to the higher summit; the gondola will make that a shorter ride.

With the gondola in the game, there will be three lifts within walking distance from the lodge that get skiers to blue terrain, plus a beginner lift to beginner terrain. I'm guessing that weekend lines should be shorter. On weekdays there are no lines.

BWoods usually opens before Thanksgiving. They blow a ton of snow on grassy (not rocky) slopes, so it doesn't take them many cold nights to get terrain open. They offer those early December cheap tickets every year, for a limited time, just to get people there before Christmas vacation. I'm not sure you can still buy those tickets, but if they are still available, it's well worth it. But of course it's a gamble on how much terrain will be open before Dec 15.

If you are interested in views, Bretton Woods, when it's fully open, has them. You can look down on the Mt. Washington Hotel from its summit; that's a rush. Wildcat has great views from its summit; you can maybe just barely see skiers hiking up Tuckerman Ravine on a clear day. Cannon, from its summit, gives heart-stopping views of Mt. Lafayette across Franconia Notch -- whenever it's not socked in with fog.

As a rule, Sundays are less populated at all New England mountains.
BW also has good deals for NH residents. They also do twilight tickets from 2-8 and 4-8, AND they do a pasta and ski deal on Fridays and Saturdays I think?

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all! Just discovered this thread thanks to another Diva! I pretty much only ski at Loon, occasional visits to Cannon, WV, Wildcat, and I do get up to VT once or twice a year. AND I'm going to Grand Targhee this March!!! Anywhooooo I'm 14 days at Loon and 1 day at my pipsqueak local mountain so 15 days total. Last weekend was killer at Loon, frigid temps on Saturday but Sunday was much warmer. We usually get to Loon for 8 am on Saturdays and Loon@Noon on Sundays. I also spend a good deal of time in the Bunyan with my mug... : ) I have the 20s pass. This is my second year having it, last year it was called the Millennial. No access to SR or Sugarloaf, but with the same blackout dates. Maybe I'll meet some of you up there!!! I occasionally get out for mid-week skiing when I can, I'd love a ski buddy!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Very cold temps settling in here (Maine). For those heading up, be advised. (and a big snow storm coming Sunday - the farther north, the more snow - no mixed bs).

MissySki

Angel Diva
Very cold temps settling in here (Maine). For those heading up, be advised. (and a big snow storm coming Sunday - the farther north, the more snow - no mixed bs).

I'm very excited!

Now just trying to find someone to plow my driveway while away as it looks like we might get quite a bit more at home than originally expected.. usually we snowblow, but I don't really want to come home to a foot+ Monday.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Snow-forecast.com has Wildcat at a possible 49 inches for this storm total!

Still trying to figure out what to do this weekend...I have the Silver New England Pass, so blacked out Saturday and Sunday. If the wind holds out, I'd be more than willing to buy a pass and head up to Sunday River for Sunday. But also have a ticket for Wildcat (husband and I bought a four pack on discount early season). But if the winds are what they're saying, not sure if I want to buy a pass or use up two of our Wildcat tix...plus driving to Wildcat on Sunday sounds like it would be an adventure in itself!

Serious first world skier problems here.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Snow-forecast.com has Wildcat at a possible 49 inches for this storm total!

Still trying to figure out what to do this weekend...I have the Silver New England Pass, so blacked out Saturday and Sunday. If the wind holds out, I'd be more than willing to buy a pass and head up to Sunday River for Sunday. But also have a ticket for Wildcat (husband and I bought a four pack on discount early season). But if the winds are what they're saying, not sure if I want to buy a pass or use up two of our Wildcat tix...plus driving to Wildcat on Sunday sounds like it would be an adventure in itself!

Serious first world skier problems here.

I wasn't seeing bad wind until Monday at SR, are you seeing it for Sunday too?

elemmac

Angel Diva
I wasn't seeing bad wind until Monday at SR, are you seeing it for Sunday too?

Snow-forecast was showing Sunday morning pretty windy at 25 mph, Accuweather is showing about 30, with gusts in the 40s. And other weather outlets are saying "blizzard conditions" which generally involves wind...I'm very much hoping they're wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly