• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/08/skier-killed-in-collision-on-cannon-mountain/
One skier was killed and another had to be hospitalized after they collided on the slopes at Cannon Mountain Ski Resort in New Hampshire on Friday afternoon.

“The accident resulted in one fatality, with the other skier being transported off property at approximately 3:20 p.m. with several injuries,” the Franconia Notch resort in the White Mountains said in a statement, adding there were many eyewitnesses to the accident.

“We’re thankful we didn’t have two fatalities. We do certainly feel for both victims’ families. This was purely a skier collision in my estimation,” Cannon Mountain general manager John DeVivo told the New Hampshire Union Leader.

DeVivo said the skier who was killed was not wearing a helmet.

“We at Cannon Mountain always advocate for the use of a helmet. We always advocate for skiing and riding within your own ability level. We always ask folks to keep an eye out for ever-changing conditions,” said DeVivo.

DeVivo said the skiing conditions on Friday were ideal, with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 20s.

“Conditions were outstanding. I literally had just come off the hill from that area five minutes before,” DeVivo said.

Skiers on the mountain Friday were shocked to learn about what happened.

“It was perfect conditions for skiing. I can’t imagine anything like that would happen,” Frank Sapienza of Brookline told the Union Leader.
Cannon Mountain Ski Area has trails of varying difficulty, including 15 percent rated for beginners, 52 percent intermediate and 33 percent expert.

The accident happened on the Middle Ravine trail below the Cannonball quad lift that is marked blue as an intermediate or “more difficult” trail, in contrast to the black diamond “most difficult” expert trails and green-coded “easier” beginner trails.

WMUR reports that no children were involved in the accident. The deceased skier’s name and age were not immediately released.

State police troopers responded to the ski resort to investigate and the state’s medical examiner was also dispatched to Cannon Mountain.
Franconia police are also investigating the death.

This is not the first skier death Cannon Mountain has seen. A 57-year-old Amherst woman died of injuries she received when she skied off a trail and into the woods in 2017.

In 2016, a skier was found dead at Cannon Mountain as a result of massive head trauma.

MissySki

Angel Diva
https://www.wcvb.com/article/massac...on-mountain-near-resort-closing-time/26767533

Here are the specifics. So sad, and just sounds like a horrible accident. The skier who was hospitalized was definitely just in the wrong place at the wrong time as apparently the skier who died hit him after falling and sliding in from another trail. Certainly we also don’t know if it would’ve made a difference, but I cannot understand why a 39 year old wouldn’t have a helmet on.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I heard the news, I went to the victim's FB page, thinking he might be a friend of a friend. (thank God, he wasn't the Jeremy I was thinking of.)

What I did see, and it really haunts me, was a selfie he had taken at 11:12 that morning. He was riding the lift at Cannon, wearing a knit cap. He was alone on the chair.

May he rest in peace.

MissySki

Angel Diva
When I heard the news, I went to the victim's FB page, thinking he might be a friend of a friend. (thank God, he wasn't the Jeremy I was thinking of.)

What I did see, and it really haunts me, was a selfie he had taken at 11:12 that morning. He was riding the lift at Cannon, wearing a knit cap. He was alone on the chair.

May he rest in peace.

So of course then I had to go look.. You’re right, very haunting. So so sad.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone looking for skis for spring conditions Ken Jones has announced their spring demo day. It will be on Friday March 29 at Waterville Valley.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For anyone who knows Cannon, this description may clarify what happened. The deceased evidently gained speed coming down Profile, crashed through the fence at the bottom (it usually have big blue pillows covering it for situations like this, but I don't know if that was the case when this accident happened), and tumbled down the embankment of the far side of the fence onto the connector trail below, colliding with the second skier there.
"A preliminary investigation by state police revealed that Keiran was skiing down the Profile trail when he lost control and was thrown from his skis. He continued to slide through a roped-off area at the end of that trail, and then off an embankment. Keiran subsequently struck Slocum, who was skiing on the Middle Ravine trail."

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That area is where the lift line forms (on that side - at the bottom of Profile), but the lift was closed for repairs from a power outage a few days earlier - so no people there. With relatively fewer people on weekdays, there may or may not have been a line anyway.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
All lifts went on full windhold at 12:30 p.m. at Sugarloaf - Sunday, 3/9.
Also heavy snow in the region.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Conditions were great at Tenney in NH this morning. I arrived about 8:30 and it started snowing at 9:00. At least 3 inches by lunch time. A little dense but good fun on top of the nicely groomed trails. Very rarely hit bottom.

The roads in Plymouth were all snow covered by the time I left around 1:00. Felt like lots of people drove south to Boston on I-93 earlier than usual for a Sunday. Lots of traffic when I left Plymouth at 2:00. Plows on I-93 had no trouble keeping up with the snow. A bit of sleet by Manchester, and soon after it was just a drizzle with the temp around 34.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tenny is open? When did that happen?
You used to report on the new owner's progress in getting it up and going, but I haven't seen those reports for a long time. I missed that it finally opened.

MissySki

Angel Diva
You used to report on the new owner's progress in getting it up and going, but I haven't seen those reports for a long time. I missed that it finally opened.

I’ve been seeing people posting their days there on the Ski The East Group on Facebook. I was surprised to see it too! Looks absolutely deserted during the week, I bet a lot of people don’t realize it’s back. I’ve never been and will have to check it out sometime, looks nice!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tenney has been open since some time in January when there was enough snow cover. Generally Wed-Sun, but have had lifts running on Mondays after a snow storm. Today all lifts were running so I had a chance to get a feel for the entire mountain. Really quite fun!

The head of the owner company, Michael, is skiing now. It's his first full season, although I think he got out on the slopes a few times last winter.

$59 full day on weekends and $50 half-day. Since I want to be on the road back to Waltham earlier, I got the AM half-day, 9:00-12:30. Then had Soup & Scoop in Plymouth. Steaming bowl of soup with a big scoop of ice cream. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks absolutely deserted during the week, I bet a lot of people don’t realize it’s back. I’ve never been and will have to check it out sometime, looks nice!
Well worth a visit. There were perhaps 30 people in the lodge at lunch time (Sunday). The bar & grill is open for lunch. Unusual for more than three chairs in a row to be occupied. Chair rides are on the long side since they are vintage lifts (have foot rests), but the towers are old style and short, so well below the tops of the trees. Relatively little wind as a result even if there is wind in the tree tops.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turned out to be a good day to check out Cannon. Even better since @canski met up with me in the afternoon.

Cannon was completely closed on Sunday due to high winds. That meant more snow that hadn't been skied off this morning. Cloudy with snow showers most of the day, but I did see little patches of blue sky when I first got on the slopes mid-morning after driving from Waltham.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another fun day skiing in NH. Was at Sunapee for the Ladies Day Extravaganza. Must of have at least 120 women of all ages, perhaps as many as 150. Of course, the weather was very cooperative. Perfect spring skiing with sun but not too warm so the snow stayed nice all day.

I'm behind on trip reports. Have one more ski day before I leave NH to head back to Waltham.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Another fun day skiing in NH. Was at Sunapee for the Ladies Day Extravaganza. Must of have at least 120 women of all ages, perhaps as many as 150. Of course, the weather was very cooperative. Perfect spring skiing with sun but not too warm so the snow stayed nice all day.

I'm behind on trip reports. Have one more ski day before I leave NH to head back to Waltham.

It was a beautiful day!

Just popped into my head, did you hear anything during the day about the RFID gates sitting to the side of the lower lifts? I heard some people talking about their gates not working with the New cards for Epic, so now they have to scan everyone by hand. Word was they didn’t have a way to make things communicate due to differing technology, so those gates may now be obsolete for them. Sounded strange, but it was a conversation including an instructor. The scanning seemed a bit slow to me at times, and I think the gates really move people quicker in general elsewhere, a shame if they have gates they can no longer use! Please sell to Sunday River! Lol. Would love them to invest in RFID, along with Loon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just popped into my head, did you hear anything during the day about the RFID gates sitting to the side of the lower lifts? I heard some people talking about their gates not working with the New cards for Epic, so now they have to scan everyone by hand. Word was they didn’t have a way to make things communicate due to differing technology, so those gates may now be obsolete for them. Sounded strange, but it was a conversation including an instructor. The scanning seemed a bit slow to me at times, and I think the gates really move people quicker in general elsewhere, a shame if they have gates they can no longer use!
Vail Resorts invested in a special RFID technology way back. It's the basis for EpicMix. I'm not at all surprised that the system that Sunapee was using was different. There are 3-4 vendors for RFID cards and the associated gates or hand scanners.

Please sell to Sunday River! Lol. Would love them to invest in RFID, along with Loon.
Somewhere along the way, I've picked up the idea that a new installation of RFID for lift access for a larger resort can be on the order of $2 million. Since Sunday River has multiple base lifts, I would guess the cost would be on the high side. Even Snowbird opted to spend money on other capital improvements for quite a few years before going to RFID. Alta and Solitude had spent the money quite a while before Snowbird finally installed RFID a few years after the MCP was created.

It's not just the hardware. Need the backend software, assuming want picture ID and online re-loading.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Had a very good time at Waterville Valley today. Made use of a free ticket voucher that I got last fall. Had a chance to explore the terrain on Green Peak, as well as ride the summit T-bar that serves blue terrain that's good fun.

Temp when I left around 4pm was supposedly 38 but the snow stayed pretty cold. Perhaps softened a bit in the afternoon but still pretty much New England hard pack conditions after the corduroy was skied off by mid-morning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna