• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

Tvan

Angel Diva
@tinymoose - your reaction sounds like mine. I had body aches the day after my second shot, took two Tylenol and felt much better within 12 hours. DH had a different experience... he ran a fever, had chills, body aches and stomach issues for 12 hours. Both of us are fine now, and I've taken photos of both of our cards on our phones., scanned them to keep copies in our wallets, and put the original in a safe place.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC... while I know this intellectually, emotionally, I still struggle with this concept. In my 5th decade of life.
:wink:
Having moved from New York City to North Carolina in high school back in the 1970s, that made it very clear how different things are across the U.S. for many aspects of adult life. Even if on the surface the retail stores, shopping centers, and supermarkets make it seem pretty similar on a day-to-day basis.

Paying attention to the regional and national differences as the pandemic evolved since Jan 2020 made it that much clearer that there is a lot of variation across cities, counties, states, regions, and countries. Even looking at state level statistics misses a lot of what's actually happening related to COVID-19.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/g...-been-given-in-us-how-many-people/6599531002/

Vaccination progress by state, as of April 25, 2021
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 10.17.59 PM.png

altagirl

Staff member
Not that we don't have an anti-vaxxer problem in Utah, but I will say our statistics often look really skewed when I look at the graphics on the NYT every day. We are at the bottom with percentage of total population vaccinated, but we have been in the top 5 or so lately for using almost all the doses we've been issued. The gap between those two stats is that Utah has a really young population (because people here tend to have so many children), and there is no vaccine for that age group yet. As I understand it, they only issue doses based on ELIGIBLE population not total population.

1619461635511.png

Edit: today Utah is 10th (best) at 85% of doses used, but last week we were has high as 4th best in the nation for percentage of doses used. But we're the 3rd WORST state at percentage of the population fully vaccinated. It makes it a little... apples and oranges to track.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
It makes it a little... apples and oranges to track.
Yep, tracking vaccination progress doesn't make much sense unless looking at more details. Even though the state-level numbers are coming from CDC, how each state reports to CDC varies a fair amount. I look at the state summaries more to see the variation between regions and don't pay that much attention to the actual percentages.

Will be interesting to see when the range for the USA Today map percentages stops changing.

Christy

Angel Diva
Right now it's a bit like looking at the middle of a horse race. You can probably tell something, sometimes (look at all those southern states at the bottom) but we need to see how it all shakes out. It's easier but still not necessarily easy for adults to get an appointment here--there's still so much pent up demand.

It's bumming me out to read about softening demand in so many other places, and so many people not showing up for their second shots. I don't see how we'll truly get to herd immunity, and it seems like mutations will continue if we don't.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's now somewhat easier to get an appointment in MA, but not necessarily "easy". It depends on where you want to go.
I was finally able to find an appointment on Friday night for the next day Saturday morning at Walgreens right in my town. I know I'm super fussy, but I had been less interested in getting it there since Walgreens seems to have been in the news for several vaccine transgressions (the website not allowing people to book their second appointment and therefore not allowing them to book the first one either since they required that you book both, giving people saline accidentally instead of the vaccine and also their website had a glitch a while back with booking people who got Pfizer for 4 weeks for second shot instead of 3 weeks), but since it was so close by I didn't want to pass it up. Hopefully, my Walgreens won't be in the news for problems :smile:

I'm still on the list to receive an invite to book an appointment for the mass vaccine site and will drop off since I was able to book elsewhere, but am curious to see how long it takes them to send me the invite. Like how long would I have been waiting if I had to wait for that invite?

MissySki

Angel Diva
It's now somewhat easier to get an appointment in MA, but not necessarily "easy". It depends on where you want to go.
I was finally able to find an appointment on Friday night for the next day Saturday morning at Walgreens right in my town. I know I'm super fussy, but I had been less interested in getting it there since Walgreens seems to have been in the news for several vaccine transgressions (the website not allowing people to book their second appointment and therefore not allowing them to book the first one either since they required that you book both, giving people saline accidentally instead of the vaccine and also their website had a glitch a while back with booking people who got Pfizer for 4 weeks for second shot instead of 3 weeks), but since it was so close by I didn't want to pass it up. Hopefully, my Walgreens won't be in the news for problems :smile:

I'm still on the list to receive an invite to book an appointment for the mass vaccine site and will drop off since I was able to book elsewhere, but am curious to see how long it takes them to send me the invite. Like how long would I have been waiting if I had to wait for that invite?

I actually received a link to book from my state pre-registration around a week after I'd already gotten my first dose.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Where I went here they scheduled the second one at the same time they scheduled the first.
That's a pretty typical part of the process I think.

The issue is that there are people who have missed the second shot. The percentage I saw was 10%, which is actually not bad if you consider the 80-20 rule. Hard to know how much trouble people have if they can't make their second appointment for whatever reason in terms of re-scheduling.

Jenny

Angel Diva
That's a pretty typical part of the process I think.

The issue is that there are people who have missed the second shot. The percentage I saw was 10%, which is actually not bad if you consider the 80-20 rule. Hard to know how much trouble people have if they can't make their second appointment for whatever reason in terms of re-scheduling.
They’ve been reporting a lot of Michiganders skipping the second one.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They’ve been reporting a lot of Michiganders skipping the second one.
Source? Do you remember the percentage? Only article I found doing a quick look said 1% for one of the vaccine providers in Michigan. But that was from a few weeks ago. Things change so fast . . .

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So interesting to hear about everyone’s experiences; I had my 2nd Moderna vac last Wed. Not long afterwards, my arm hurt (as did the first shot); however, the next day, I felt awful, drained, terrible body aches, just overall crappy. I plugged through my emails & did a few things for work, only because I could not get comfrable enough to sleep ... I did go to bed early & ended up getting a decent sleep. My arm was still pretty sore Fri & Sat, but horrible body aches were gone, but can’t say energy level was high. My good friend had her 2nd shot on Monday ...and her only side effect was a rash at the vaccine spot on her arm; so crazy how we all have different reactions & some not at all. My DH has his 2nd shot this week; he’s already keeping his schedule clear the next day, just in case. Regardless ...happy to have both shots under my belt!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Source? Do you remember the percentage? Only article I found doing a quick look said 1% for one of the vaccine providers in Michigan. But that was from a few weeks ago. Things change so fast . . .
I can’t find it again - was just something I remember seeing in passing and being annoyed by it. I’ll keep an eye out and if I find it again, I’ll post it.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where I went here they scheduled the second one at the same time they scheduled the first.

Me, too. They put up a white board at the entrance saying that the 2nd shot was going to be on x date, exactly 3 weeks away, at the same time. Since this was all done through my health care provider, you were automatically scheduled for the 2nd shot as you were getting your first shot. And when they checked you in, if you said you couldn't make it on x date, they would boot you out of the line!

It made me glad I didn't choose a random time in the middle of the work day and instead chose a time before when work started. I know not everyone has the luxury of doing that; I'm very grateful I could.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was given the vaccination card at my first dose (Feb 18) with the date and time to return for the second dose (March 18). Civilized. Easy. Not a vaccination site but a non profit health clinic that not many people knew were doing vaccines. Today I rode on my bike by the Kaiser Permanente site and people were lined around the block to get vaccines. 62% of my county has already received vaccines. Not surprising for this area.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga