• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... @RachelV hope you're doing well!

I got Pfizer and while I felt very weird for about 24 hours I didn't have a fever or feel toooooo badly. I was chilly / sweaty, like having a fever in that you can't be the right temperature, except without the actual fever. And body aches, but definitely not as bad as it sounds like yours were.

Glad you're feeling better! Congrats on the antibodies. :smile:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I totallly had Pfizer shot 2 brain fog and it was a very clear 24 hour period. That being said, given what I’ve read about COVID brain fogs, I’d rather have a 24 hour ick than an endless multi week ordeal. DH got his second shot this monday and has been strutting around talking about his lack of side effects. But he got the kids’ cold, so I’m just going to credit my awesome immune system for both cold avoidance and that reaction.

I’m not competitive.
:rotf:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh no, good to know! I took one Tylenol first thing in the morning because I was already super-sore from my garden job, and I do have to do physical work the next couple days. Didn't take anything the 1st dose; hope I didn't screw up the immune response this time around... :eek:

I wouldn’t worry about it!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got my second shot yesterday and have had no side effects. LOL ... here is the proof that I am a stress bucket. All day yesterday, I stressed about the side effects. Now, I am stressing that I am not having an immune response. :crazy:

It’s so individual, don’t stress about it! Be thankful if you are someone who doesn’t have a reaction, I can tell you that sure would have been my preference lol! :thumbsup: The majority of people I’ve personally heard about notable symptoms from are under ~50. Though I know some older who had symptoms and some younger who had no symptoms as well.. there is no formula for normal.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It’s so individual, don’t stress about it! Be thankful if you are someone who doesn’t have a reaction, I can tell you that sure would have been my preference lol! :thumbsup: The majority of people I’ve personally heard about notable symptoms from are under ~50. Though I know some older who had symptoms and some younger who had no symptoms as well.. there is no formula for normal.
Except me.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just an fyi for others, the current recommendation is to NOT take over the counter pain relievers or antihistamines prior to your vaccination. Seems this is due to not wanting to suppress any immune response to start. Once you develop side effects, if you do, it’s okay to take something. I still stuck to Tylenol at that point, not wanting to suppress the inflammatory process.

CDC link for reference below:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/prepare-for-vaccination.html#:~:text=It is not recommended you,well the vaccine works.
My problem with this was defining "before". They need to tell me hours. I had a stiff neck the night before, so took either aspirin or Aleve, I think aspirin, as I was going to bed. Plus before my first one I took a triptan for a migraine. Without some kind of time bracketing this isn't very helpful.

newboots

Angel Diva
My problem with this was defining "before". They need to tell me hours. I had a stiff neck the night before, so took either aspirin or Aleve, I think aspirin, as I was going to bed. Plus before my first one I took a triptan for a migraine. Without some kind of time bracketing this isn't very helpful.

I don't think the triptan would count - it's not an anti-inflammatory but works through some other mechanism. If you took aspirin it was likely out of your system; Aleve lasts all night, as you know. Don't worry! The booster will be needed probably sooner rather than later!

shadoj

Angel Diva
I don't think the triptan would count - it's not an anti-inflammatory but works through some other mechanism. If you took aspirin it was likely out of your system; Aleve lasts all night, as you know. Don't worry! The booster will be needed probably sooner rather than later!

After my "oops," I looked up the half-life of Tylenol (2-3hrs). I'm guessing most was out of my system by the time I got my 2nd shot. Funny that they never mentioned NSAIDS as part of the pre-vaccine instructions, and I don't think my girlfriend was instructed to stop taking her (mild) immunosuppressants beforehand, either.

A little further reading revealed that trial tests of the COVID vaccines didn't necessarily exclude those taking NSAIDS, and they were still getting those ~95% success rates. Other prior research of children pre-dosing NSAIDS before other vaccinations showed a lower number of antibodies, but not by enough to prevent an adequate immune response. So, maybe it's not as bad as we're all fearing.

An update: I went to work today. Arm was still a bit sore, but that's mostly gone now. Temp regulation was a little off last night. Started feeling a bit foggy/nauseated/off mid-morning (~20 hours post-dose). I'm now running a low-grade fever and am pretty tired. Hope that's all I'll have to report :smile:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Just spent the day in bed, mostly asleep, after my boss shooed me offline following our 930am videoconference and saw how ashen and sh!tty I looked. Had a combination of extreme brain fog (which made me uncomfortable to try to work and power through... that’s how mistakes are made), major fatigue, headache and muscle ache. But, at least I was able to sleep!!! My pug fulfilled his purpose-bred duties and slept next to me like a furry hot water bottle. Symptoms were noticeable when I got up around 6 or 7am this morning but having spent the day in bed, I’m feeling less cruddy now.

When Dr Pugs got his second shot, he had a fever, was extremely achy, wasn’t able to sleep, and then 2 days later had to work overnight call. Poor guy. Thankfully that’s months in the past now.

MissySki

Angel Diva
After my "oops," I looked up the half-life of Tylenol (2-3hrs). I'm guessing most was out of my system by the time I got my 2nd shot. Funny that they never mentioned NSAIDS as part of the pre-vaccine instructions, and I don't think my girlfriend was instructed to stop taking her (mild) immunosuppressants beforehand, either.

A little further reading revealed that trial tests of the COVID vaccines didn't necessarily exclude those taking NSAIDS, and they were still getting those ~95% success rates. Other prior research of children pre-dosing NSAIDS before other vaccinations showed a lower number of antibodies, but not by enough to prevent an adequate immune response. So, maybe it's not as bad as we're all fearing.

An update: I went to work today. Arm was still a bit sore, but that's mostly gone now. Temp regulation was a little off last night. Started feeling a bit foggy/nauseated/off mid-morning (~20 hours post-dose). I'm now running a low-grade fever and am pretty tired. Hope that's all I'll have to report :smile:

This wasn’t intended to scare anyone who had already been vaccinated, only to offer the most current guidance for anyone who still remains to be vaccinated so they can decide how to proceed if it comes up for them. i.e. some people were popping pills right before their jab in hopes of avoiding side effects. Will it cause an issue in immune response? The experts don’t know for sure. To me that equals, if there’s a choice and I don’t need to take this type of medication for a medical purpose then might as well err on the conservative side.

Probably the most frustrating thing to me this whole time has been how much we (meaning collectively on the expert level) don’t know for sure about anything.. That’s not a knock on the medical/scientific community as it’s understandable for guidance to change constantly as we learn more etc.

Last edited:

shadoj

Angel Diva
I'll admit I was in mild panic mode yesterday, thinking I might have screwed up things. Turns out I was already mildly feverish when I found out about the CDC recommendations... I'll just blame that for my overreaction :smile: No hard feelings towards the medical community; they're doing the best they can in a short time frame and are trying to make things safer as they learn more. We're really fortunate in the grand scheme of things.

As to the running side effects update (37hrs post-2nd shot): woke up at 3:30am with more nausea, headache, chills/overheating, mild fever; arm soreness is very minor, though. What fun.

newboots

Angel Diva
@shadoj - Congratulations on your immune system's robust response!

And condolences on the side effects. Feel better soon!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'll admit I was in mild panic mode yesterday, thinking I might have screwed up things. Turns out I was already mildly feverish when I found out about the CDC recommendations... I'll just blame that for my overreaction :smile: No hard feelings towards the medical community; they're doing the best they can in a short time frame and are trying to make things safer as they learn more. We're really fortunate in the grand scheme of things.

As to the running side effects update (37hrs post-2nd shot): woke up at 3:30am with more nausea, headache, chills/overheating, mild fever; arm soreness is very minor, though. What fun.

Hope you feel better soon! When I felt the worst I tried to take comfort in the fact that Covid would probably feel much worse and for a much longer duration. Still not fun though!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Ugh, feel better soon! I seem to have gotten over the worst of my side effects, thankfully.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got the first shot of Moderna about 24 hours ago. Pretty minor side effects. Arm slightly sore but not nearly as bad as with the shingles shots. Felt good enough for some yard work in the afternoon. Perhaps a very slight headache was trying to start but not enough to bother with any medication. Felt a little less mentally sharp by dinner time. Went to bed early, and slept until 11am.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna