• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

marzNC

Angel Diva
My husband was assigned an appointment window at a mass vaccination site in Raleigh, NC back in mid-Feb. He was assigned to the same day/time 4 weeks later for the second shot.

By the time I qualified and was home after my last ski trip, making an appointment for a 2-shot vaccine was pretty much like making a regular doctor's appointment. I got it through my health care provider that is a major medical center with lots of satellite offices all over NC. They are using one of the hallways and waiting areas in the same building as my Family Practice, which covers several different medical specialties. For the second shot, I was asked to pick an appointment time. The first option was 4 weeks later and there were multiple times available.

altagirl

Staff member
I got several calls from a neighboring county that I signed up with within a week of being able to get an appointment with my own county. Glad to see that system working at least.

Honestly, it worries me a bit that I can't think of anyone I know locally who wants a vaccine and hasn't been able to get an appointment. I'm a little concerned that we've hit that point where the people who were excited to get one all did it. Now we need that group of "I'll get one, but I'm gonna let a bunch of other people be the guinea pigs" to decide enough of us guinea pigs have been okay and give it a go.

Me, too. They put up a white board at the entrance saying that the 2nd shot was going to be on x date, exactly 3 weeks away, at the same time. Since this was all done through my health care provider, you were automatically scheduled for the 2nd shot as you were getting your first shot. And when they checked you in, if you said you couldn't make it on x date, they would boot you out of the line!

It made me glad I didn't choose a random time in the middle of the work day and instead chose a time before when work started. I know not everyone has the luxury of doing that; I'm very grateful I could.

In Utah at the county sites you got a text immediately with an appointment exactly 3 or 4 weeks out depending on which shot. Mine was a few hours different than the first. But it also has a phone number to call if you needed to reschedule. But I was glad mine was on a Saturday, though I picked the earliest option and would have had support from my job to get paid time off if needed.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Our local TV station is reminding people to cancel any other waiting lists that they are on, if they get an appointment.

I choose our local health unit clinic. When I booked, I also got my next appointment. The pharmacy AZ shots do not get that. They will get a call within 4 months to get their second. Nah...like the idea of knowing when and where.

altagirl

Staff member
Our local TV station is reminding people to cancel any other waiting lists that they are on, if they get an appointment.

I choose our local health unit clinic. When I booked, I also got my next appointment. The pharmacy AZ shots do not get that. They will get a call within 4 months to get their second. Nah...like the idea of knowing when and where.
Honestly here it was hard to get OFF that list. I told them to take me off and they still called me every day for a while. BUT, better that way than not contacting people.

Jilly

Staff member
I have to phone the pharmacy that I'm the waiting list for. Like I'm going to get through....So I'll just ignore the text's and not book.

Christy

Angel Diva
I will be having my first experience with "vaccine required" situation. The backcountry lodge in Denali where we are going in September just emailed to say they are requiring vaccines. I'm thrilled about this. We all have to be on a bus together for 7 hours each way, then meals are in the lodge, so there is a lot of indoor time with people.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I will be having my first experience with "vaccine required" situation. The backcountry lodge in Denali where we are going in September just emailed to say they are requiring vaccines. I'm thrilled about this. We all have to be on a bus together for 7 hours each way, then meals are in the lodge, so there is a lot of indoor time with people.

That is great! How do they have you verify your vaccinations?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Source? Do you remember the percentage? Only article I found doing a quick look said 1% for one of the vaccine providers in Michigan. But that was from a few weeks ago. Things change so fast . . .
Well, I haven't come across it - seeming more likely that the local news was reporting the national story and I wasn't paying enough attention to realize it. Governor had another news conference this morning and I think she said we're actually doing better than the national average at getting ourselves fully vaccinated.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
So I got my second dose (Moderna) last night and oof, did I have side effects. Woke up 8 hours after dose with fever, chills and body aches. Since then, I have been on a cycle of fever /chills/ nap every 4 hours once the ibuprofen wears off. I also experienced nausea as well. Its been 24 hours now and I still feel like I've been run over by a truck. So glad I called in sick as there was no way I could have been productive at work. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I got my second dose (Moderna) last night and oof, did I have side effects. Woke up 8 hours after dose with fever, chills and body aches. Since then, I have been on a cycle of fever /chills/ nap every 4 hours once the ibuprofen wears off. I also experienced nausea as well. Its been 24 hours now and I still feel like I've been run over by a truck. So glad I called in sick as there was no way I could have been productive at work. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Ugh sorry to hear you had all of the "fun" side effects too! Hope you feel better really soon!

newboots

Angel Diva
You are having the @SallyCat ’s side effects! I feel for you! Do feel better soon (I expect you will).

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Second Pfizer dose yesterday around 1pm. Other than pain at the injection site, no other side effects. In fact, I think the pain is milder than the first shot. Hmm, does that mean my immune system is out to lunch? Or maybe I’d have had mild symptoms or even asymptomatic if I caught COVID?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Second Pfizer dose yesterday around 1pm. Other than pain at the injection site, no other side effects. In fact, I think the pain is milder than the first shot. Hmm, does that mean my immune system is out to lunch? Or maybe I’d have had mild symptoms or even asymptomatic if I caught COVID?
Everyone’s reaction is different! There’s no evidence that the lack of side effects means diminished efficacy.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

My arm also hurt less from the 2nd shot than the 1st. Only other symptom I had was a bit of very mild achiness overnight the night after I got my 2nd dose, which completely diminished by the next morning.

ETA: I also had Pfizer

lisamamot

Angel Diva
My arm also hurt less from the 2nd shot than the 1st. Only other symptom I had was a bit of very mild achiness overnight the night after I got my 2nd dose, which completely diminished by the next morning.

ETA: I also had Pfizer
Yay. Fingers crossed, I have my 2nd Pfizer dose on Tuesday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna