• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

compression long underwear

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I think their sizing chart (manufacturer's) is kinda off. Contrary to popular wisdom, I sized up, as I was somewhat on the line for size. I guess I'm glad I did. There's at least some breathing room. Maybe something to consider?? Still plenty of compression where needed (quads to knees) without the "other" interference (bladder, yikes!). They're also easier to put on/remove when there's some room.

I washed mine in cold water/delicate and line dried. For that $, careful treatment was mandated! They seem okay, pretty much the size they were.

Darn, Lilabear, really sorry to hear you had this experience!! :mad:

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They still fit! What material are these things made of - spider's web? Lucky me, not all my $$$ down the drain.

To prove the point about an old dog and new tricks, I put a lambswool sweater in a delicates wash today - but forgot to change the temp. Now it's a cat blanket. sheesh.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone looking for CW-X... EMS is having an upgrade your gear sale in shops & online. They have a limited offering of women's CW-X on the website.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^ Oh boy. They want $92 for the full length insulated. Down from 115. Wow. That's Big Bucks. Think I recall paying 66-68 for same last winter from Mountain Gear. However, it took them 5-6 days to get it out the door and another 8 for pkg to get here.....:rolleyes:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I snagged a full length insulated expert pair from SAC last time they were up that I'm not sure if I'll be keeping. At the moment they're unworn and still have the tags on. If I don't keep em, divas get first dibs.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ Oh boy. They want $92 for the full length insulated. Down from 115. Wow. That's Big Bucks. Think I recall paying 66-68 for same last winter from Mountain Gear. However, it took them 5-6 days to get it out the door and another 8 for pkg to get here.....:rolleyes:
Expensive stuff... but the ones I wanted (3/4 Stabilyx) I have not found anywhere cheaper than the $68.80 they currently are on EMS's website. I even tried eBay.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These looking really interesting. Are they as great as everyone is saying?

The regular look like they have a more complex support design than the insulated... Anyone try both?

I run cold and would want to get insulated, but if the compression design doesn't do much on the insulated, then are they worth it?

PS. Kirkwood is hoping to open in mid-Nov! :snow:

Thanks!
Connie

altagirl

Staff member
These looking really interesting. Are they as great as everyone is saying?

The regular look like they have a more complex support design than the insulated... Anyone try both?

I run cold and would want to get insulated, but if the compression design doesn't do much on the insulated, then are they worth it?

PS. Kirkwood is hoping to open in mid-Nov! :snow:

Thanks!
Connie

It's just a different support pattern between expert and pro. And the insulated DO come in both patterns, you just have to look around.

https://www.backcountry.com/store/CWX0041/CW-X-Insulator-Pro-Tights-Mens.html

Actually, I haven't been able to find the women's version in insulator pro models, but I just buy the men's. I don't know what the difference there is - they're stretchy and tight - I don't think it makes much difference.

I've also used the uninsulated Stabilyx ones, but my husband confiscated them after I had a knee injury and when I bought new ones I went with the pro model. I figure they say hamstrings are what protects your knees, so the more hamstring support the better.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks AG! I found the (Women's) Pro on Paragonsports. That is more what I was looking for in Insulated. :eyebrows:
[Edit] I went ahead bought a pair of Men's on BackCountry for $20 less.

By the way, going to Warren Miller tonight. Have you seen Children of Winter yet?

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, another fun question... How many pairs of these do you guys own?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva

Connie
Although I haven't tried the uninsulated, the insulated ones have plenty of compression -- enough to be somewhat challenging to initially put on! Primarily used mine post-moderate/healable knee injury last season and needed the support. By the time we rolled into April, they were on the warm side. I switched to shell pants and still had to get those things off by the end of the day! Sweat-phew. They are warm.

altagirl

Staff member
Okay, another fun question... How many pairs of these do you guys own?

I have two pairs - one is on it's third season. I've been using them for speed skating as well, and discovered that my first pair was needing some sewing repairs. Which I did and it seems to be holding up, but I figured that was a valid excuse to buy a second pair. :smile: I have another brand (not made any more as far as I can tell) that are thinner compression tights and I rotate between those and the CW-X tights for skiing. But they're not thick enough to be worn alone for XC or speed skating.

And I am considering a third pair at this point. Between regular skiing, xc skiing and speed skating, they get some serious use these days! I wish they made the black and pink ones in something other than the expert model... oh well.

altagirl

Staff member
Although I haven't tried the uninsulated, the insulated ones have plenty of compression -- enough to be somewhat challenging to initially put on! Primarily used mine post-moderate/healable knee injury last season and needed the support. By the time we rolled into April, they were on the warm side. I switched to shell pants and still had to get those things off by the end of the day! Sweat-phew. They are warm.

I don't wear anything other than shell pants, so it has to be very warm for me to get too hot in them. Like - sunny and way above freezing. Though yeah, if you have insulated pants, that would be different.

And I wear them alone when I speed skate and it's like 50-60 degrees at the oval and I've never felt particularly sweaty.

OTOH, my husband thinks he would die of heat stroke if he put my insulated ones on even on the coldest days... and can't comprehend my thick mittens, hand warmers, puffy down jackets... so I guess it depends on how your personal thermometer works. ;)

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...discovered that my first pair was needing some sewing repairs. Which I did and it seems to be holding up,...

I love this! MTB race, ski, XC, speed skate, and you sew! Is there anything you don't do?

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 4 pairs :bag:.

I got my first pair of insulated pro at a bargain price, wore them and loved them so, so much. I honestly believe they make a world of difference to my circulation and my stamina - and I'm sure they're grand on the stabilising but I have no real way of scientifically testing that.

So I wanted a second pair, couldn't find the insulated pro but evenutally SAC had some normal ones come up at half price. This was before I trusted every seeing the same bargain come around again, so I had to get two for the stockpile. A bit later on they had the insulated pro come up, and as I am a cold cold person that always has thermal long johns on, I couldn't resist the 4th and final pair.

I have a mouse click problem.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a mouse click problem.
I think a lot of us on here do. :D

I've been waiting for them to come up on SAC...for months. The Stabilyx have not in that time frame, and definitely not 3/4 length (which is what I wanted). Eventually, you take what you can get. :D

I'm a little confused . . . :confused:

There are a number of different models of these types of tights. I understand that some are insulated, some not, but what's the difference between the "plain", "pro", and "expert" models? I went on to the manufacturer's web site to see the different models, but couldn't really tell which would be right for me?

I don't tend to get cold very easily and I don't have any knee issues as of now -- what would you Divas recommend for me?

altagirl

Staff member
I'm a little confused . . . :confused:

There are a number of different models of these types of tights. I understand that some are insulated, some not, but what's the difference between the "plain", "pro", and "expert" models? I went on to the manufacturer's web site to see the different models, but couldn't really tell which would be right for me?

I don't tend to get cold very easily and I don't have any knee issues as of now -- what would you Divas recommend for me?

so, stabilyx and expert seem pretty similar. The one that I notice a difference in the support band pattern is in the "pro" model, which has a full cris-cross across the hamstrings. So that's the model that I prefer.

Ultimately, it probably doesn't make that much difference. And I've never been able to get a really good explanation of what each model is actually marketed FOR - other than that the more expensive models tend to have more webbing than the cheaper ones, and I guess more is better! ;)

I haven't tried the 3/4 length ones - I feel like their stitching is so smooth and flat the calf webbing is beneficial as well, so I go full length. Plus, I'm worried that with 3/4 length, my calves are big and - curvy, I guess, and I worry that they'd bunch up a bit and cut off my circulation. That's all hypothetical though, seeing as how I haven't tried them. I've just tried some other 3/4 length spandex pants and those weren't very comfortable. Not to mention - when I XC ski or speed skate, I want the full length.

abc

Banned
I'm the only one who tried them and didn't find them make much different!

I wore them for two days of skiing and it made no discernable difference. So, at nerly $100 a pair, I returned them.

It's possible it's one size too big. They fit kind of like my cycling tights. Tight, but not uncomfortably so. I couldn't feel any "support" per se. So I was wondering what good they would do. In the end, they didn't.

(but I couldn't squeeze myself into the smaller size one)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga