• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

compression long underwear

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Boy, are we all on the same page or what? I saw that Oakley, was seriously tempted but passed. Would love to hear about what I missed. But I do in fact have an earlier version of the Merrell Chameleons, a couple of years old (and probably from Sierra), really like them, good medium-duty shoes. Up here, this is about as dressy as footwear gets :smile: - and this spring we are going to have a serious mud season... Online shopping is the best. Almost my only option, but can't beat the convenience. You DID notice that Sierra is offering 10% off right now, online, of any catalog item??? Oops, more temptation....(too late, I already succumbed)

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MSL,

Might you be a Chaco fan in the realm of sturdy open toe summer all terrain footwear? I love my Chacos (and Keen's)! I'll definitely let you know how I like the Oakley hooodie from SAC. I see they have a couple of women's jackets coming up sometime today.

Thanks for the Sierra tip, I do make sure I am in on all that stuff!. I do get their email updates daily or almost daily and their snail mail goodies. I do this for all my favorite online shopping sites, as I hate to miss a deal and try to always use a discount or coupon code, even if I have to "Google" for it. I am so close to mega-shopping, but the older I get and the busier I am, I hate to be hoofing through outlet malls and mega malls, especially in cold weather and I'm starting to hate the whole crowded, elbow in your ribs, over priced shopping thing I once thrived on when I was a woman nearly half my age! It's no longer quite as much fun... LOL

Furthermore, most of that local shopping tends to fall in the standard fare or designer (which I can't say I don't like, unfortunately) realm, but I do like more athletic stuff for day to day wear, and there aren't really too many stores that carry a wide variety of items at a solid price nearby for that...and so I am pretty much limited to online shopping due to convenience and price.

Have a great day!!!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Retromaven, I haven't gotten to hoodie yet. Looks like it'll be coming next week. I'm so jealous of Tradygirl for living near SAC and being able to pick up anything she buys. A lot of times, it's the shipping cost that keeps me from buying something, cuz once you tack it on it's not as killer diller of a deal.

What color did you get? I have a pair of their ski pants (from SAC as well). They're hard shells, and they're cut kind of slim in the waist and really baggy in the legs, which I wish they weren't. For what it's worth, I wear my pants pretty low on my hips. And while we're kinda reviewing manufacturers, I love my Merrell trail running shoes. Let us know how the Chameleons work out.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Num,

I got the Oakley hoodie in black. I know what you mean about the shipping, as it's kept me from some deals as well for smaller or less discounted items like socks, etc. I try to make sure anything I buy from SAC falls well below retail, even with shipping. I think retail on the Oakely hoodie was $109, so I felt that was worth the additional shipping, which is around $7-8 for me on clothing and smaller items.

I haven't bought any ski pants from them, and still hesitate for high ticket clothing items, as I hate to send things back. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a "menopot" to put it nicely, even though I don't really carry my extra weight all over - so pants I usually like to try on for fit and rarely order online - since I have that issue. To add to it, I'm 5'3", so sometimes I take a petite, sometimes I don't. I find ski clothes in general are cut on the smaller side in the waist, as they think everyone who skis is exceptionally fit and slim (and a good percentage are), something that I never gave a second thought to all the years I truly was slender, but now with my belly due to lack of hormones and stuff shifting, LOL, I am all too keenly aware that clothing manufacturers in athletic lines make this assumption and it's harder to find clothes if you have less than the "ideal" body type. Oh well...

Looking forward to my gear...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
RM: re Chaco's -- no, I'm a Keen girl. Gotta cover dem toes (see thread "more toe issues") - but thanks for thinking of me. Re ski pants, I asked for advice here (ski gear section) about sizing, finally gave up on that online quest - impossible to buy pants "cold" online - finally found some locally, very happy.

Lest we further hijack this thread, I'll leave it until I can properly review the CW-X, can't wait. But for sure, we've got to start a "shopping" thread somewhere :smile: - at least so I can enjoy it vicariously, anyway! In the meantime, online rocks.
Happy weekend!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
on the way

My CW-X insulator tights are finally on their way, shipped today, can't wait to get them, hope DH doesn't steal mine!! RM, hope yours are shipped today as well.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Retromaven, my Oakley hoodie came today. Did you get yours? I ripped off the sleeves and used the vest as a layer on the hill tonight. I have to say I'm fond of it. It's thicker than I expected, but I think it's turning out to be a good thing, as it has less overlap with other things I own. I have my fair share of super thin hoodies.

Looking forward to your thoughts (RM and MSL) on the tights.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boo Boo Kitty Face. :(

My CW-X's have NOT shipped yet, even though I ordered them apparently just after you, MSL.

Num - No! I am tracking my hoodie, and since I'm on the East Coast, seems like I'm 2 days behind (all SAC, STP and West Coast orders take quite a while to get to me unfortunately as the UPS Secaucus, NJ hub is one of the worst, by UPS' own admission). I actually ordered the hoodie assuming it was one of the thicker ones and I'm glad you verify it is. Do you like the cut/fit? I too have plenty of lighter weight ones and wanted to use this as a fun mid layer for skiing or as a topper for those nippy, yet warmer winter/spring days. So glad you like it!

Thankfully, we might get a few inches of snow (albeit, not much) and they should be able to shoot snow today and tomorrow, so since I still have a pass to ski tomorrow locally, I should end up on the slopes (but without my new gear :( ) despite a weak winter here, and that's a happy thing!

Enjoy your things ladies! I'll let you know when I get mine. I'm like a kid waiting for Santa!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^^ Patience, my dear. Mine didn't ship til yesterday, hopefully you'll get notice from merchant today?? I'm impatient also, this is one purchase I'd have been happy to see get here faster!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
You guys convinced me to buy a pair of those CW-X tights too! I sometimes get a little twinge in my patellar tendon when skiing, especially during very cold days. I was wondering on my lift rides back up the hill what I could do to alleviate it a bit...and then I discovered this thread.

I used to work in a bike shop and I remember about 5 years ago a guy came in with those tights, trying to get the shop to carry them. He was the one who developed them.

When I first saw the "compression underwear" thread, I thought it was about Underarmor. That was all the rage a few years ago...supposedly very warm. I bought some for skiing and found that I actually get colder when I wear them....I'm much warmer wearing Patagonia capilene.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Up here, this is about as dressy as footwear gets :smile:

I wish it was that way here in PA! I'm a comfy shoe freak: Keens, Chacos.......the dressiest shoes I wear, I think, are my Dansko clogs. I'm a high school teacher and foot comfort is key, although most women here succumb to the fashion trend. Me, I LOVE shopping for outdoor gear (online, since we have virtually no good stores here) and I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on good outdoor shoes and clothing (Patagonia rocks!)

I don't really fit in with the other women here..but I'm happier with being the outdoor type.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I don't really fit in with the other women here..but I'm happier with being the outdoor type.
You've come to the right place on this site! :smile: Echoing your sentiments re: footwear, 100%. And, oh, the patellar tendon. Another band-aid recommendation: chopat knee support, available at Footsmart(dot com), among other online merchants. This was the only knee support endorsed by my orthopedic surgeon (female :smile: ) - unobtrusive under ski pants, will get you through the day, helps knee track straighter, big thumbs up. DH and I fight over the one we jointly (PUN) own, time for another.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
You've come to the right place on this site! :smile: E And, oh, the patellar tendon. Another band-aid recommendation: chopat knee support, available at Footsmart(dot com), among other online merchants.

Yeah, you guys are great! Thanks for the tip on the chopat knee support; I'll check that out.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^^ Patience, my dear. Mine didn't ship til yesterday, hopefully you'll get notice from merchant today?? I'm impatient also, this is one purchase I'd have been happy to see get here faster!

Patience is the least of my virtues, as I think you can tell. :wink:

Anyway, I received my Oakley Hoodie and a Sessions base layer (bottoms that were on SAC) that I forgot I ordered just a few minutes ago. Going to try on the hoodie and may take it out for a spin tomorrow. I see they have an Ivory colored one of the same jacket on SAC right now.

Vanhoskier, you are not unlike all the other women here (I know, I know, I probably look more like a "floosy" and not "outdoorsy", but truly I can camp outdoors with minimal and rough it with the best of them, but I just happen to have an urban side too...), and have plenty in common with many. Anyway, welcome! What subject do you teach and where in "unfortunately" PA are you? Since I do in a rare once and a while wear dressier shoes/sandals since I live in metro NY, but for the most part LOVE and live in my Chaco's (I own several pair), Keens, Crocs and Merrells as well as other comfort shoes. I have terrible arthritis is my feet, so go for comfort, and a lot of comfort shoes these days are good looking as well. Again, although I do dress up or wear trendy things from time to time, I mostly live in Yoga pants and athletic wear myself...

I'm sure there are many of like mind/lifestyle, but none the less, this is a friendly place where women skiers from all walks of life hang out and have fun discussing their passion.

Cheers!

PS. MSL, those CW-X's...I got my shipping notice this AM. Like you, it's one thing I wish would come sooner. If they weren't so expensive to begin with, I would have sprung for the expedited shipping. :(

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Vanhoskier, you are not unlike all the other women here (I know, I know, I probably look more like a "floosy" and not "outdoorsy", but truly I can camp outdoors with minimal and rough it with the best of them, but I just happen to have an urban side too...), and have plenty in common with many. Anyway, welcome! What subject do you teach and where in "unfortunately" PA are you? Since I do in a rare once and a while wear dressier shoes/sandals since I live in metro NY, but for the most part LOVE and live in my Chaco's (I own several pair), Keens, Crocs and Merrells as well as other comfort shoes. I have terrible arthritis is my feet, so go for comfort, and a lot of comfort shoes these days are good looking as well. Again, although I do dress up or wear trendy things from time to time, I mostly live in Yoga pants and athletic wear myself...

I'm sure there are many of like mind/lifestyle, but none the less, this is a friendly place where women skiers from all walks of life hang out and have fun discussing their passion.

Cheers!

:(

I teach high school chemistry, in a suburban district outside of Allentown, PA. I live in Kutztown. (We've got Bieber Bus service from our little town into NYC :becky: ). There's outdoorsy people here, but you just have to look a little harder for them. Bicycling is the thing here. But there's lots of people who classify a trip to the mall as an outdoor excursion!

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are between sizes I would go for the smaller size. I 1st bought the regular tights in a medium and then found the insulated tights and bought the large. I get more support from the smaller size.
I do have issues with my ski boots when I wear these. I don't like the elastic in my boots, so I pull them up above my boot and by the end of the day they are really digging into my upper calf.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
where are they?

Still waiting....meanwhile, other orders from approximately the same date are already here (like the Powderfish gaiter, had to get that one). As for the CW-X in ski boots being a problem, about all I can do is try it. Might bother me, might not. Might be worth some bother if they support as well as claimed by others. If it's an issue, I will just use them in other endeavors. Either way, I think they'll get used.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The information on this forum is awesome. I had seen the compression tights on Sahalie and had long wondered about them, esp. cuz of the price. After reading all these comments, bought a Medium pro pair on sale from Mountain Gear (even tho over $50, they still charged shipping). Like MSL, am between S and M (67", 130 or so). Backcountry had the S. Internet ordering can be difficult that way. Will post the fit.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I'm pleased to say, with all the skiing I've been doing (I eat only 1500 calories a day, and was always thin, it's a hormonal/medicine issue that has made me gain weight the past 2 years) I've lost about 10 pounds as the increased exercise over a long duration of time (brisk walking and an hour of aerobics seem to do nothing) several times a week. That is a big WHOO Hoo.

I ordered the pro's in medium too, Gretchen, I hope they fit okay, as I am on the shorter side but felt like I needed them for my weight, although I know that if you go too big in these things, they don't do what they are supposed to do. I will also review for fit once they come and also speak to how the elastic feels in my boots (I will use them for jogging in spring too, so like MSL, I'll use them one way or another) as well as talking about how I feel they are from a performance stand point.

MountainGear.com ships via FexEx (standard, unless you pay extra) and mine are still stuck in Portland, OR as of their last report 2/20. I'm bummed as I was hoping (since we are getting a significant powdery snow, almost 12" here today :snow: :becky: ) to have these to ski with early next week, but I have a feeling at this rate (slow boat from China) they won't be here until next Thursday or Friday. :mad:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Fear not, rm, once they finally get airborne, it shouldn't take too much longer. I'm impatient as well - everything else already got here! FedEx tracking says mine SHOULD arrive tomorrow :yahoo: - left Chicago at 3 a.m., so maybe.....I really kinda wanted them sooner (based on good reviews), so hopefully will wear on Sunday and post my take.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna