• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

compression long underwear

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I am now almost impatiently awaiting any/all sales of this stuff....

altagirl

Staff member
They're like the opposite of bulk around the knees. They have those support bands around your knees and calves and that's the part that I think really helps. And since they're smoother and tighter than my socks are, I really don't consider it as something extra in my boot. I personally think the "nothing in your boot" rule applies to regular style long johns, or anything that isn't skin tight and/or flat seamed. I can't feel the CW-X tights in my boots, and there's no way I could push them up over my calves - it would cut off my circulation, if it's even physically possible to do. And I think modifying them would cancel out the benefit my calves and knees get from the support they offer.

Jilly

Staff member
Well an ad on this thread, not of Ski Diva's choice, google' choice is: CW-X tights - ww.coolfitwear.com - Heh its better than some of the ads that come up.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I personally think the "nothing in your boot" rule applies to regular style long johns, or anything that isn't skin tight and/or flat seamed. I can't feel the CW-X tights in my boots, and there's no way I could push them up over my calves - it would cut off my circulation, if it's even physically possible to do. And I think modifying them would cancel out the benefit my calves and knees get from the support they offer.

Haven't personally tried the CW-X tights, so I don't know if they are constructed the same way as my ankle-length tights, which I've retired. My problem with ankle length tights in the past has been the elastic band and/or hem at the ankle, which has caused in-boot problems.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wore mine for the second time yesterday. Conditions were not the best, and normally, in addition to being tired at the end of the day, I would also have had bad knee pain and swelling. This time, I really noticed that my knees did not hurt as much as they usually do. I guess the underwear works!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I wore mine for the second time yesterday. Conditions were not the best, and normally, in addition to being tired at the end of the day, I would also have had bad knee pain and swelling. This time, I really noticed that my knees did not hurt as much as they usually do. I guess the underwear works!
Hmmmm, looking more and more like I'm going to have to relent and pay full retail. We all ought to be paid endorsers of this product! :smile:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, what about the Stabilix version?

And the 3/4 length -- how well does it stay put? It looks to me like, unless my legs are the wrong length for these to sit at the right places, the hem is right where my leg shape would cause it to roll up and make a nasty mess at the back of my knees!

And the other question -- it sounds like these may help keep healthy knees healthy too? Kind of like DH wrapping those drug store gizmos around his knees to help him feel a bit more stable but with a LOT less bulk, yes?

Kano

altagirl

Staff member
Okay, what about the Stabilix version?

And the 3/4 length -- how well does it stay put? It looks to me like, unless my legs are the wrong length for these to sit at the right places, the hem is right where my leg shape would cause it to roll up and make a nasty mess at the back of my knees!

And the other question -- it sounds like these may help keep healthy knees healthy too? Kind of like DH wrapping those drug store gizmos around his knees to help him feel a bit more stable but with a LOT less bulk, yes?

Kano

Yeah these are way less bulky than any knee wrap, etc.

I haven't tried the 3/4 length for just that reason. If they're out of my boot, they'd be at the height around my calf where they'd roll up - maybe that's just me. I have a pair of capri length tights that I've worn skiing, but they're a little bunchy... The full length CW-X ones have nice flat seams at the bottom so I've never noticed that part in my boot.

I did have a pair of running tights that had a grippy seam, and I tried skiing in those before and they hurt like hell. So there's definitely a diference between different styles/brands of tights.

Betsy

Certified Ski Diva
I have the CW-X tights which I mostly wear for running, but have worn skiing a couple times. After a few hours, I found them to be a bit binding you know where :redface: and they didn't really help my knee pain, but compression doesn't help my specific knee problem - degenerative arthritis in my right knee. Last season I experienced a lot of knee pain (basically I couldn't walk after skiing all day), as well as related problems like quadricep tenditinitis and IT band issues, etc....brought on my lack of proper alignment in my right leg. To figure out what do to, I met with a fantastic boot fitter and he studied my situation and ended up making custom orthodics for my ski boots and running shoes that now have me properly aligned. I have been completely pain free ever since. It's a miracle! :humble: Just thought I'd share my story as another solution to knee pain - custom orthodics. That said, I believe in the compression tights -- they keep your knees in alignment and help postpone the onset of muscle fatigue. But if you have other issues, a great boot fitter can be key.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The full length CW-X ones have nice flat seams at the bottom so I've never noticed that part in my boot.

I did have a pair of running tights that had a grippy seam, and I tried skiing in those before and they hurt like hell. So there's definitely a diference between different styles/brands of tights.

This is good to know - thx, altagirl.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been wearing 'skins' for the last two weeks, I think they're great. The capri tight is just the right length, it just sits at the very top of my boots, doesn't roll up, and the waistband doesn't roll down. If you are on the border of two sizes, get the smaller size, they are very flexible but won't do much good if they are too big. I think I am a fan of these things now.

:thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Found some on sale!

On sale at www.mountaingear.com and DONE - ordered - on the way! Next question: am I going to get SO dependent on these that I can't manage w/o??? Oh heck, this is worth a try :smile: Got the insulators, $66. Big splurge. I deserve it.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG, MSL, you must be my sister from another mother!!! I was just coming here to say that the CW-X tights are on sale for $66 plus $6.95 shipping at MountainGear.com (they only have the Insulator Expert in M, they have the PRO in several sizes, I ordered M) and they are finally at that "amazing deal" price that I could justify springing for (and probably others would too) so I just plunked down for a pair a little while ago. I figured MSL and everyone else would want to know about the deal, but look who beat me to it by two hours!?!

Retromaven high 5's MSL on our CW-X purchases! Can't wait to review them here.

I actually ordered the PRO tights in black rather than the insulator tights, after reading many reviews on Backcountry.com (where they are also on sale, but for $85 and free shipping). I felt that since my ski pants keep me really warm with barely anything but a CoolMax base layer now, I didn't need the insulation as much as I needed the extra support that is offered in the hips, back and hamstrings of the PRO tight due to my arthritis and joint issues, plus I can use them for my fitness walks in the spring, as the insulators are supposedly too warm to wear past 60 degrees. I'm hoping they get here by Thursday when I am skiing next. If these turn out to be fantabulous as everyone says and I have the money and I can find a pair of insulator's left for this price and they have my size, I might get them too. We'll see.

Anyway, I'm psyched, they are a great deal now! :ski2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG, MSL, you must be my sister from another mother!!! ...and guess who beat me to it by ordering and posting by 2 hours?!?
:laugh: Yeah, friend, we're on the same page! Glad you ordered, I didn't check on delivery date, as I'm hanging it up for the next 9 or so days, will only ski local bumps, if that. But, hey, isn't this great! Sure hope they work out as well for you (and me!!) as they have for everyone else.

My deal is that I burn up too fast and just can't ski hard for more than 4 hours at a clip. Probably has more to do with not being able to eat and ski (if I eat, I'm out for at least an hour, not great even after that). I'll try anything once though, and wasn't this a super deal!? We'll have to compare notes after the fact!
p.s. checked out your website a few days ago, you rock, girl :becky: !

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MaineSkiLady;34834 Probably has more to do with not being able to eat and ski (if I eat said:
I have to eat ...constantly! You will discover that I graze throughout the ski day and if I don't....I am UGLY!!! (Darned blood sugar :mad: )

DH keeps a stock of beef jerky in his pack for when I forget o eat - I think he's afraid of me. No, I KNOW he's afraid of me:eek: !

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, friend, we're on the same page! Glad you ordered, I didn't check on delivery date, as I'm hanging it up for the next 9 or so days, will only ski local bumps, if that. But, hey, isn't this great! Sure hope they work out as well for you (and me!!) as they have for everyone else.

MSL, why are you not skiing for the next 9 days? Are you having problems with your hip again? I haven't been on the boards this week, as I have been crazy busy. I just happened to Google the CW-X tights and get the MountainGear.com through Spadout, and purchased them I was excited to share the deal, and thought of you, so I posted. You may have mentioned your hiatus in another thread, but again, I haven't gone through the forums yet, so if you could point me there...I hope if it's your hip again, not vacation or your schedule keeping you off the big boys, that you will feel better soon!

Thanks for the kudos on my site. For years, prior to the past 5 months, I actually had a very elaborate PHP site which I had done all the coding for myself and it had a lot more whistles and bells, but the forums/back end got hacked by spammers and bots (the forums were very active at that time with tens of thousands of posts) and I took it all down, everyone lost their posts and accounts, as my site host's back end wouldn't let me just upgrade, so I recently put up that modest non-PHP site, as I have had no time to rework it, but it's mainly about the music anyway! None the less, many thanks for the "ups".

TTS!

PS. I usually carry a South Beach Diet protein bar with me skiing, as I am prone to low blood sugar, and when I take that sugar dump, I have to have something immediately to give me a boost. I almost went into glycemic shock twice in my life, and that's two times more than enough. LOL

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^Hey, thanks for caring - really was impressed with your site - your energy comes shining through everywhere you go! :smile: Hip's fine. This upcoming weekend, my level of season pass is blacked out. We're in for rain :mad2: on Monday. It's vacation week, and the big resorts around here are going to be mega-busy. As I have the luxury and option of going at quieter times, I generally lie low, do other stuff (like taxes) and go to smaller local spots (we have several very nearby, one has 1100 ft vertical!) until the holiday week is over.

I'm one of those types who has no digestive capability when the muscles are firing - guess all the blood is in my legs?? I know I've posted about it before. Kind of a new thing, about 5 years or so, does have a root cause, long story....So yeah, my BG starts to drop as well, but only liquid stuff will work, otherwise I'll cramp and the day is effectively over.

Sorry your forum got spammed--major big problem these days. Didn't know you had one, only saw the music end of stuff, way cool. Fun site. Anyway, great to chat with ya again :smile: pm anytime!

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you are NOT re-injured. I hear you about skiing at uber busy times, for me, it's less enjoyable, and since I have the flexibility of choice, I won't go out this extended weekend either. Conditions got kind of rough as we had a long period of warm weather and rain, but unbelievably, after a day of snow and some ice, they shot some new snow and conditions were surprisingly good for as bad as it's been down here. Won't do the President's Weekend insanity and Thursday will be my first day back on the slopes after 6 days off, as the kids don't go back until Wednesday anyway. I''ll be ancy to get back out there, as I've been trying to get out at least two days a week or more.

I'll PM you sometime very soon and we'll catch up. I'm hoping my CW-X's come by Thursday to try them out, but I have a feeling that is wishful thinking, since they are coming from Washington state - as you know - and with the holiday...

Anyway, I've been a bad girl. Besides the CW-X's, I've gotten a little too friendly with those good folks at SAC and Sierra Trading. Got a nice pair of Merrell Chameleon II hikers, a very stylish but functional Lole fleece top to wear under my jacket and/or off the hill too, and a very cool Oakley "lace up" technical fleece mid-layer jacket that converts to a vest as well, all this week. Also bought these cool pair of spring shoes (they are less lime and beautiful but more mellow color than the picture in this link, which doesn't do this comfy shoe justice!) from Pegasus Footwear, which I think some of the ladies here would appreciate their line of shoes. I live not too far from Woodstock, NY, so I've been to the store before, but I also buy online and they are GREAT to deal with, just as an FYI.

TTS! :focus:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the Oakley convertible hoodie vest/jacket too, and was looking at those Merrell Chameleons, but passed. Self restraint helps justify other purchases :smile:

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the Oakley convertible hoodie vest/jacket too, and was looking at those Merrell Chameleons, but passed. Self restraint helps justify other purchases :smile:

Hi Num!!! Did you get your Oakley convertible fleece hoodie yet? Do you like it? It looked too cute, yet practical as well. I'm hoping it fits, do you have anything else by Oakley? So far, with all of my orders on line this winter, I haven't had to send anything back, everything has fit (size charts have been accurate) and the quality has been as good or better than I hoped. Yeah!!! I'm still waiting for the hoodie and the CW-X's, and I have my fingers crossed that I will still be batting 1000 when they arrive!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna