• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tahoe 15/16

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Coverage was generally good this weekend, and runs that have not been groomed at Squaw in years were groomed on Thursday and Friday. Amazing and just as good as skiing powder runs. Really. Then they got tracked out in half an hour. Was in the backcountry yesterday (a total mess, starting with realizing at the parking lot that I had put my right liner into the left boot and vice versa; a quick fix, but it sort of set the tone for me!!) and Sugarbowl today.

I'd say that when things start to soften is tough to guess because it's incredibly dependent on whether the sun exposure is full or partial and the wind. I'm told that stuff that was nice at 10am yesterday at Sugarbowl was still firm at noon today. Everything in the shade was firm, so it's more of a direct sun thing than a temperature thing going on right now.

I'm in dire need of wax. I curled up into a tuck on a runout today and could feel half my abs (the ones that work) contracting each time the snow stuck.
Curious what was groomed at Squaw that usually isn't? Headwall? do you know what the closing date for Squaw is? Think we'll get two days in late season there.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious what was groomed at Squaw that usually isn't? Headwall? do you know what the closing date for Squaw is? Think we'll get two days in late season there.

Yes - Headwall, Sunbowl, and the Slot. I didn't believe the guy on the chair when he said Headwall was groomed on Thursday.

The rumor I heard today was that both Alpine and Squaw wanted to make it through May, with one of them operating 7-days a week.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so glad you skied Pinnacles and Skiway glades. I've been telling you all season you should do it. Isn't it fun? Was wondering about closing days and haven't heard anything about extending the season... Has anyone?
We're supposed to go to northstar wednesday for a week or whatever but now hear it's going to get hot up there and rain on Friday @ 9,000 ft. Told BF that you said Heavenly's skiway glades was good so may wait to go to Northstar until after it rains or go Wednesday but maybe one day or two stay at Stardust and ski Heavenly ....Northstar is scheduled to close April 17, Heavenly April 17, and Kirkwood April 10 last I heard.

I know, @santacruz skier , you were right! It's so good. I think it was just a confidence issue. I had some trouble at the top and had the slip in, but once I got into the glades I was like, "These are WAY more spaced out than I thought based on looking at them from the chair."
Did you ski Gunbarrel? It's very skiable this time of year...Really.

Not yet...SO asks me literally every weekend if I want to do Gunbarrel or the Face on the way back to the car and I say no every weekend.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I know, @santacruz skier , you were right! It's so good. I think it was just a confidence issue. I had some trouble at the top and had the slip in, but once I got into the glades I was like, "These are WAY more spaced out than I thought based on looking at them from the chair."

Not yet...SO asks me literally every weekend if I want to do Gunbarrel or the Face on the way back to the car and I say no every weekend.
Before you do the Face, ask SO to take you down hogsback. It's somewhat like skiway glades. Not as steep as the face and moguls are much smaller. Also re: the Face, there are easier ways to get down. Start and stay on skiers right even in the trees a bit and you will avoid the steep mogul like drop offs. Then ski in East Bowl not directly down the Face but same aspect just not as huge moguls. I ONLY ski it if I think it's good and NOT at the end of the day... BF always wants to do it last run and I finally got him to agree to ski it at 1:00 or 2:00 (if soft enough) not when I'm really tired. Also we don't ski a full day like we used to. Usually go out between 10:30 and 11:30 and ski until closing.
Good for you... I'm glad you were fine with skiway glades. I knew you would be but you don't know what kind of skier I am telling you (oh yeah, you can do it) and I don't know what kind of skier you are. Apparently good enough to do it!
Also at the top of sky chair ski towards Ellies Swing and then jump into the trees. No cliffs and trees open up a bit... You'd love it. shhhh. don't tell everyone ....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Change of skiing plans - we are now going up Monday April 11 and staying until closing at Northstar. Will go to Heavenly and ski 2 days mid week thanks to @DeweySki 's report on skiway glades!!! Who's going for last weekend? And, is it really the last weekend?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My nephew is getting married at winery in Lodi on May 28....hmm maybe head to Tahoe and ski Squaw for closing weekend.. Shorts?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hey @DeweySki , @DRG just saw that Heavenly has extended their closing date until April 24. Woo hoo... No news on Kirkwood or Northstar yet.. Anyone know?
Also @Pequenita says Squaw/Alpine May 30 (one of the two or maybe both)...

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey @DeweySki , @DRG just saw that Heavenly has extended their closing date until April 24. Woo hoo... No news on Kirkwood or Northstar yet.. Anyone know?
Also @Pequenita says Squaw/Alpine May 30 (one of the two or maybe both)...
Sweet!! I am going to hit my goal of 40 days after skiing this coming weekend (some days were admittedly only a few hours), so anything after that is gravy for me.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sweet!! I am going to hit my goal of 40 days after skiing this coming weekend (some days were admittedly only a few hours), so anything after that is gravy for me.
I'm only at 28 days - many barely count as with 4 yo and 6yo... think we are going monday or wednesday and staying a week so add 7 more... also have 2 for 1 at squaw so will go there too at some time. we will try to go to heavenly for 2 days before closing. It is higher than northstar and will be better. Plus we can stay at owners rate @ stardust for $56 per night.

HeidiInTheAlps

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up with 23 days.

Not bad considering I live below sea level

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No,I was in the Espace Killy,France but would love to ski in America some day soon. Maybe not next northern hemisphere winter as I'm looking at Japan.
Oh right Espace Killy is Tignes and Val d'sere , right?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That's right. It was an awesome trip and snow was great (I was there in Feb).I think it's the 8th time I've been there over the years. The off piste it's just endless.
Yes I skied there about 6 years ago

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In Tahoe now.. Skied a few runs yesterday late afternoon . Frozen tracked up slush.
Surprise! Snowed 3 inches overnight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga