• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Recommendations for lightweight skier

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SMichael08 , I seriously doubt you would want boots in the 60-80 flex range.
Those ratings no matter what company will be too soft, and your skiing will suffer, not to mention the fatigue from constant adjustment your legs would be making with every turn.

I am 90# and 5'1 and ski in a 95. I have had the Chakras in two models. The reason I ended up going back into a junior race boot is due more to my size foot than the flex rating; however the liner in the Chakras made the boot stiffer. They had Intuition liners and those, while nice, also added an extra stiffness that just wasn't helping my leverage overall. I liked them initially, but in a year or so of using Chakras I decided they were fighting against me . I am not advocating to stay away from the Dalbello, and it may actually be a nice boot for you. What I am saying though is to consider more the fit of the boot than the flex rating being higher than you think is doable.
Thanks! That's helpful input! Especially to think about the liner etc. At least two of the boots I ordered should be here by Christmas. Bummed that I probably won't actually be able to get on the mountain until after the new year (by the time I decide on a pair of boots, get them fitted, and pick out new bindings and get them mounted), as I was looking forward to the long break from work in part for that reason. But hopefully soon and better than ever! This whole thread has left me wondering how potentially poorly my boots growing up actually fit me lol

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the reasons I like women's boots is the cuff adjustment available on most of them. I have wider calves and very narrow lower leg. The cuff adjustment seems to help hold my ankles in the boots. With boots that had shells not made on a woman's last they rubbed a lot on my very bony ankle bones and my heel moved a lot. I had padding added and it would work for awhile but then the rubbing would start again. Also, with a wider forefoot and a narrow heel I can't stand having pressure on the sides of my forefoot.
One thing my boot fitter did before he put me into the Tecnica Mach 1 was check my squat. I can squat to the floor. Because of my weight we decided the 85 flex was right. He also watches my face. If I'm not sure about the boot he won't sell it to me. He would rather put me into a boot that fits well than spend the time having to do adjustments to make the boot fit. He will also put my old boot on 1 foot and the boot I chose as the best fit on the other foot. Then he asks me which feels better. If I like 2 different brands of boots he'll do the same, put one on each foot and have me compare the difference. This method gives me a chance to decide the pros and cons of each boot.
I once tried on Nordica Jr. racers and I swam in them vs. having pain on the top of my foot in Lange Jr. racers. Plus, the Langes came up too high on my leg.
At the time I bought the Mach1 85's I was injured so the 85 flex was probably right for me. I over came the injury and last year just felt like I needed a stiffer boot. So I went to the 95 flex. Even though the flex is rated at 95 the boot is advertised on the softer side.
I start new boots in the Smartwool light weight socks, then move to the Smartwool medium weight socks as the liner packs out. I could never use a very thin sock. The padding placed in the Smartwool socks helps to protect my prominent bones and veins.
That's interesting; I'd never though about squat. I definitely can't do a flat-footed squat - can hover a bit above a 90* angle with my feet flat but that's about it. Super helpful to hear how boot fitters normally help you winnow down your choices, since I'll kind of be doing that part on my own.

Do you happen to know if the Langes your regular or the short cuff? I didn't end up ordering Lange, but I did have the 90 flex short cuff on my list to possibly check out once I figure out the best flex range (wanted to be more accurate since the shipping was more for those).

Sounds like you've been happy with the Mach 1s for your larger calves? I've got a friend I'm trying to get back on the mountain. She's naturally got thick calves and is a cyclist on top of it. She's the one I'd picked up the 24.5 Salomons for. They fit her foot, but her calves were too big for the boot. As in, couldn't get the top buckle to connect at all. She actually said part of why she kind of gave up skiing as a kid/teen was that it was hard to find boots that would fit her calf without being too big and/or heavy elsewhere. She also obviously was not going to a boot fitter. But I'm just curious what brands y'all would recommend for larger calves.

Loving all this info!

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
Late joining this thread, but as a fellow tiny-footer I'm curious what boots you've liked for smaller feet. I'm going in to get fitted next week, but just doing some early shopping around. I wear a size 4.5 (US) in fitted shoes/close-toed pumps, and I can do 5-6 in running shoes or boots, but I also can wear a child's 2-4, depending on the shoe. My current boots (which are old, and were purchased from a rental shop) are Nordica 23.5. So I should be able to find something decent in adult boots, but know that my options will be a bit more limited due to needing the smaller size. And also curious about the quality of some of the JR racing boots as of course kids boots are cheaper...

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I goggled the Performa's and it looks like they are a unisex boot so they would not have the feature I'm talking about.

Here's Tecnica's description "while the C.A.S. Cuff Adapt System quickly and easily adjusts volume to fit a variety of lower leg shapes." https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en/women/all-mountain-on-piste/ski-boots/mach1-lv-95-w

Other companies have similiar systems. My Dalbello Kyra had a lever on it so I adjusted it myself. Tecnica recommends a boot fitter do the adjustment. The Kyra also had flex adjustment. I loved how easy they were to get into. However, they were too wide for my foot. At the time they were the only boots that didn't crush my instep.

I don't remember much about the Lange boots. That was about 6 years ago. The shop had 7 pairs of boots for me to try on. I was so excited. I tried the Langes just to compare with the other boots.

Be sure the boots you choose have cant adjustment. The purpose is to align the upper part of the boot to your lower leg. You will need to have a boot fitter do this. If the cant adjustment is slightly off it can affect the way you turn your skis.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I goggled the Performa's and it looks like they are a unisex boot so they would not have the feature I'm talking about.

Here's Tecnica's description "while the C.A.S. Cuff Adapt System quickly and easily adjusts volume to fit a variety of lower leg shapes." https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en/women/all-mountain-on-piste/ski-boots/mach1-lv-95-w

Other companies have similiar systems. My Dalbello Kyra had a lever on it so I adjusted it myself. Tecnica recommends a boot fitter do the adjustment. The Kyra also had flex adjustment. I loved how easy they were to get into. However, they were too wide for my foot. At the time they were the only boots that didn't crush my instep.

I don't remember much about the Lange boots. That was about 6 years ago. The shop had 7 pairs of boots for me to try on. I was so excited. I tried the Langes just to compare with the other boots.

Be sure the boots you choose have cant adjustment. The purpose is to align the upper part of the boot to your lower leg. You will need to have a boot fitter do this. If the cant adjustment is slightly off it can affect the way you turn your skis.
I have larger calves (more like heifers) and have Head boots that fit well in both the foot and the calf.
I have larger calves (more like heifers) and have Head boots that fit well in both the foot and the calf.
That's interesting; I'd never though about squat. I definitely can't do a flat-footed squat - can hover a bit above a 90* angle with my feet flat but that's about it. Super helpful to hear how boot fitters normally help you winnow down your choices, since I'll kind of be doing that part on my own.

Do you happen to know if the Langes your regular or the short cuff? I didn't end up ordering Lange, but I did have the 90 flex short cuff on my list to possibly check out once I figure out the best flex range (wanted to be more accurate since the shipping was more for those).

Sounds like you've been happy with the Mach 1s for your larger calves? I've got a friend I'm trying to get back on the mountain. She's naturally got thick calves and is a cyclist on top of it. She's the one I'd picked up the 24.5 Salomons for. They fit her foot, but her calves were too big for the boot. As in, couldn't get the top buckle to connect at all. She actually said part of why she kind of gave up skiing as a kid/teen was that it was hard to find boots that would fit her calf without being too big and/or heavy elsewhere. She also obviously was not going to a boot fitter. But I'm just curious what brands y'all would recommend for larger calves.

Loving all this info!
Most companies sell woman's boots that will accommodate a woman's calf muscle. Tecnica makes the Mach1 in low volume, mid volume and high volume. Even though my boots are low volume they still conform to the shape of my lower leg.
Most ski shops probably will have a boot that would fit your friend. Even here in Denver they seem to lean toward higher volume boots. Skis.com has pretty good descriptions of how boots fit.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, all, now I have some questions after trying on the first boots to arrive. It was the Nordica Dobermann in both a 70 and 90 flex. First interesting thing is that even thought they should be the same boot, the cuff on the liner of the 70 is way less substantial - it's just some fabric over plastic lip where as the 90 has more actual padding. This was key as I immediately noticed the 70 pinching my calf. But the other thing was that as I walked, I noticed an occasional painful tweaking in my ankle. It happened to a certain degree in both boots, but primarily the 70. The only thing I could really figure out is that the heel pocket was perhaps too loose and was allowing just enough movement to cause problems since the rest of my foot was quite secure. I realized I was able to move my heels up and down in the boot some, no matter how many times I whacked the heel on the floor to try to secure into the heel pocket.

So my question is what has the biggest impact on this? Is it a last issue? These are a 98 last and did seem secure enough elsewhere. Is it likely this might be different in other boots of the same size/last, or would I likely to need address this through customization? And if so, what might that look like? I'm not going to send these back until I have other boots come in for comparison, and I do have others coming already, but I was just surprised how badly these fit, as in, actively painful.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, all, now I have some questions after trying on the first boots to arrive. It was the Nordica Dobermann in both a 70 and 90 flex. First interesting thing is that even thought they should be the same boot, the cuff on the liner of the 70 is way less substantial - it's just some fabric over plastic lip where as the 90 has more actual padding. This was key as I immediately noticed the 70 pinching my calf. But the other thing was that as I walked, I noticed an occasional painful tweaking in my ankle. It happened to a certain degree in both boots, but primarily the 70. The only thing I could really figure out is that the heel pocket was perhaps too loose and was allowing just enough movement to cause problems since the rest of my foot was quite secure. I realized I was able to move my heels up and down in the boot some, no matter how many times I whacked the heel on the floor to try to secure into the heel pocket.

So my question is what has the biggest impact on this? Is it a last issue? These are a 98 last and did seem secure enough elsewhere. Is it likely this might be different in other boots of the same size/last, or would I likely to need address this through customization? And if so, what might that look like? I'm not going to send these back until I have other boots come in for comparison, and I do have others coming already, but I was just surprised how badly these fit, as in, actively painful.
Heel fit has always been an issue for me.
My fitter 1st does a shell fit. Then, after he helps me into the boot, he has me stand in place and gently move up and down as if I'm skiing. He asks me what I'm feeling and where. Are the boots Jr. Generally, within a few minutes I can spot issues.
Some tips-Ski Boot Fitting: How Are Boots Supposed to Fit | The Ski Monster

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heel fit has always been an issue for me.
My fitter 1st does a shell fit. Then, after he helps me into the boot, he has me stand in place and gently move up and down as if I'm skiing. He asks me what I'm feeling and where. Are the boots Jr. Generally, within a few minutes I can spot issues.
Some tips-Ski Boot Fitting: How Are Boots Supposed to Fit | The Ski Monster
Thanks for that link. Helpful to read re: heel fit. The Dalbello Chakras also arrived today and while at first I thought they were going to be much better, I noticed my feet starting to fall asleep in them (within like 5 min). I'll put each of the various boot back on later after they've had some time to warm up in the house (as opposed to right after bringing them in from the porch), but I think the Dalbellos only having 3 buckles might be a problem for me since I have a fairly high instep. Those and the Nordicas were the ones I was actually most hopeful about based on reviews etc., but now thinking I'm going to go ahead and order a pair of Lange/Rossis as well.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that link. Helpful to read re: heel fit. The Dalbello Chakras also arrived today and while at first I thought they were going to be much better, I noticed my feet starting to fall asleep in them (within like 5 min). I'll put each of the various boot back on later after they've had some time to warm up in the house (as opposed to right after bringing them in from the porch), but I think the Dalbellos only having 3 buckles might be a problem for me since I have a fairly high instep. Those and the Nordicas were the ones I was actually most hopeful about based on reviews etc., but now thinking I'm going to go ahead and order a pair of Lange/Rossis as well.
I had the Dalbello Kyra's. They are a wider boot. I loved them because I could get them on so easy. However, I get a much better fit with the Tecnica's. My boot fitter sold the Chakras but I don't remember trying them on. Lange boots have awesome heel hold but they kill my instep. I had Lange Jr. racers many years ago and I remember that my feet hurt so much that I stopped in the middle of a run, sat in the snow, pulled the boots off and cried. They were also extremely cold. That's why I gave up on Jr. Racing boots. Supposedly Lange has gotten better but my fitter doesn't even try them on me anymore. All my boots get buckled in the 1st hooks over the top of my foot.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is interesting-
  • Does the last (width) of a ski boot change as size increases or decreases?

Yes, this is one of the biggest misconceptions in ski boots. Generally people with longer feet have wider feet and vise versa, so it makes sense that ski boot width would change depending on length. The published last of a ski boot is for 26.5 only – all brands. When a new boot is being designed the first size produced is a 26.5, the rest of the molds are created mathematically based off of the 26.5. For instance the last of a Lange RX 120 is 100 mm – again that’s for 26.5 only – as you go up in shell size the width increases by 2 mm. So the last of a 29.5 RX 120 is going to be 106 mm, in a 24.5 it’s 96 mm. Even if it says 100 mm on the boot, it’s only 100 mm in for a 26.5. All ski boot manufacturers are darn close to increasing last width by 2 mm. If you want to get super technical, Nordica changes width by 2.3 mm per size.

Ski Boot Fitting: Flex, Width, Liners, Hike Modes & Shell Design (theskimonster.com)

So a size 22.5 boot has a much narrower last than what the company advertises!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The higher flexing boots do have better quality liners.
What socks are you wearing? What is your goal with doing all of this at home? I can't remember if you were trying to narrow things down then go see a fitter with the final candidates? Because yes, having a little pain here and there can often be remedied by a fitter in different ways, one being that many boots, both liners and shells, are designed to be heated. Salomon shells in particular. Did you order any Salomon boots?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMHO, if you start out with boot pain it probably won't be fixed long term. The boot shape is probably off for your foot. It's best to find a boot that causes no pain in the beginning.

I agree that higher flexing boots have better liners. On the mountain they are more responsive, have more bells and whistles for adjusting fit.

When dealing with Jr. gear you're probably not going to find the quality of materials that you will find in adult gear. Kids out grow their gear quickly so parents aren't going to invest tons of money in gear that doesn't get used long. I'm finding the same goes for women's boots, the lower the flex the less a company wants to invest in quality materials. That's the reality for those of us who are too light and small for the high end gear yet still need good fit and good performance in a boot.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Dalbello Chakras also arrived today and while at first I thought they were going to be much better, I noticed my feet starting to fall asleep in them (within like 5 min). I'll put each of the various boot back on later after they've had some time to warm up in the house (as opposed to right after bringing them in from the porch), but I think the Dalbellos only having 3 buckles might be a problem for me since I have a fairly high instep.

I've had this same issue with feet and entire lower leg falling asleep/going numb when I've tried the cabrio style 3 buckle books--I just can't seem to tolerate the middle buckle putting pressure right at the ankle. (tried the Chakra a few years ago and another model a few years before that and had the same issues).

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The higher flexing boots do have better quality liners.
What socks are you wearing? What is your goal with doing all of this at home? I can't remember if you were trying to narrow things down then go see a fitter with the final candidates? Because yes, having a little pain here and there can often be remedied by a fitter in different ways, one being that many boots, both liners and shells, are designed to be heated. Salomon shells in particular. Did you order any Salomon boots?
Been trying boots on wearing Le Bent ski socks, which are quite thin. Doing it at home is only out of necessity. None of my local shops have anything but true kids' boots in my size, so I was pretty much on my own for locating my desired boot. And no, I couldn't find any Salomons in my size with an adult-level flex.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Been trying boots on wearing Le Bent ski socks, which are quite thin. Doing it at home is only out of necessity. None of my local shops have anything but true kids' boots in my size, so I was pretty much on my own for locating my desired boot. And no, I couldn't find any Salomons in my size with an adult-level flex.
OK, got it. So you do plan to take maybe your two top choices to a fitter? A good one should be able to help you narrow it down. What a pain. I am in the same boat, except I can usually find a 22.5, but finding a 92mm last boot to try on is impossible. Lucky for me, my husband works in the industry and we have several manufacturers here with warehouses, so we make some phone calls and pay some visits. (Yes, I'm REALLY fortunate.)

There is a fitter in Park City who carries no inventory--he looks at a person's feet, anatomy, skier level, etc. then recommends boots for that person. Once they receive them, he goes to work on customizing. He's the one who recommended a junior race boot. We couldn't get a hold of any Nordica, so went to the Rossi's and I'm really happy with them.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, got it. So you do plan to take maybe your two top choices to a fitter? A good one should be able to help you narrow it down. What a pain. I am in the same boat, except I can usually find a 22.5, but finding a 92mm last boot to try on is impossible. Lucky for me, my husband works in the industry and we have several manufacturers here with warehouses, so we make some phone calls and pay some visits. (Yes, I'm REALLY fortunate.)

There is a fitter in Park City who carries no inventory--he looks at a person's feet, anatomy, skier level, etc. then recommends boots for that person. Once they receive them, he goes to work on customizing. He's the one who recommended a junior race boot. We couldn't get a hold of any Nordica, so went to the Rossi's and I'm really happy with them.
Yeah, unless there's a real stand-out winner, that's been my plan. I just ordered some Lange short-cuff 90 flex to try as well. I was looking at the Rossi's but for some reason their website would only let me do in-store pickup and all of the options were a couple hours away. If I get desperate I'll maybe suck it up and pay the exorbitant shipping costs some of the other sites selling them wanted. Did you see this comment about lasts?

This is interesting-
  • Does the last (width) of a ski boot change as size increases or decreases?

Yes, this is one of the biggest misconceptions in ski boots. Generally people with longer feet have wider feet and vise versa, so it makes sense that ski boot width would change depending on length. The published last of a ski boot is for 26.5 only – all brands. When a new boot is being designed the first size produced is a 26.5, the rest of the molds are created mathematically based off of the 26.5. For instance the last of a Lange RX 120 is 100 mm – again that’s for 26.5 only – as you go up in shell size the width increases by 2 mm. So the last of a 29.5 RX 120 is going to be 106 mm, in a 24.5 it’s 96 mm. Even if it says 100 mm on the boot, it’s only 100 mm in for a 26.5. All ski boot manufacturers are darn close to increasing last width by 2 mm. If you want to get super technical, Nordica changes width by 2.3 mm per size.

Ski Boot Fitting: Flex, Width, Liners, Hike Modes & Shell Design (theskimonster.com)

So a size 22.5 boot has a much narrower last than what the company advertises!

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So as I continue my search/research, I just noticed that skis.com gives "instep height" as one of the factors in their overview of a boot. They use a circumference at your instep to length of foot ratio, with 1/3-1/2 the length of your foot begin considered a medium instep height. Just grabbed a string/ruler and my foot is almost as long/wide around as it is long! Who knew?! Maybe others were aware of using this type of ratio, but I always just knew my instep was high by eyeballing it.

Just found this other site too that gives a slightly different measurement method (over foot from heel to heel), with a standard/medium height of having the same measurement across the foot as the length. By this measure, I'm almost 2 cm more across the top of my foot as I am in length. https://patriotfootbeds.com/blogs/bootorials/48749697-measuring-your-feet-for-ski-boots

I also want to make sure I'm understanding some terms correctly. Early on I had assumed that a boot's "volume" referred to the height/instep, but then when my fitter told me I'd need a low-volume boot (and in doing additional research) it seemed that volume is mostly used in conjunction with last? As in when folks talk about a low-volume boot, it's usually one for people with narrow feet? I'm curious why it seems like it's so hard to find information out on whether a boot is good for a particular instep height (aside from now discovering that skis.com helps with that).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna