• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Recommendations for lightweight skier

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, good luck with finding new boots @SMichael08 ! Echoing the others the too-big boots - I have sz 6 feet which are narrow, and honestly I barely fit into the adult boots on the market. Currently in size 22.5 98mm last which are still too wide, so I have aftermarket liners to help fill up the volume. My next boots will probably be junior race boots as well. There's a few of us - ski boots manufacturers just don't really think about this end of the market, and it doesn't help that so many small-footed ladies are put into boots which are much too big! (My first pair of boots was too big as well. Having a too-big first pair of ski boots seems to be a necessary part of skiing :tongue: )

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
These are the boots I have. They are a 92 last, and I still needed an aftermarket Intuition race liner in them, because me feet are that low volume.
They are SO responsive, so smooth, and they fit. This is the first pair of boots I’ve ever owned that I’m not cranking the buckles tighter and tighter.
View attachment 14318
https://www.peakskishop.com/Rossignol-Hero-World-Cup-ZJ-120-Flex-Ski-Boots-2020_p_6661.html

I'm thinking about getting those skis! So I could be all matchy match if I get those boots too lol!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are the boots I have. They are a 92 last, and I still needed an aftermarket Intuition race liner in them, because me feet are that low volume.
They are SO responsive, so smooth, and they fit. This is the first pair of boots I’ve ever owned that I’m not cranking the buckles tighter and tighter.
View attachment 14318
https://www.peakskishop.com/Rossignol-Hero-World-Cup-ZJ-120-Flex-Ski-Boots-2020_p_6661.html
They look awesome! Congrats on finding a pair of boots to fit you properly, it can be a real mission!
I'm not yet sure how wide a boot I'll want for my next boot. My feet are 85-87mm wide @ 22.5 so too narrow for a standard 98mm last - especially at the heels - but 92mm might be a bit tight... I'll see what my fitter suggests, when I decide to replace my current boot shells :smile:

Also - sounds like your feet are much narrower than mine - you must have been swimming in 98mm boots! :eek:

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
@SMichael08 , Numb toes may be caused by thicker socks. Better to wear the thinnest you can find which will also be important for true boot sizing.

Yes, I agree with this statement as well. :smile: Although I'm not so sure it's the "thinnest" we need to wear, but definitely one pair of socks...preferably ski socks that don't have large ribbing....ribbing can cause impressions in skin which can cause lack of blood flow. Also no socks that bunch at the bottom or cotton that holds sweat more than wool. I love the "thicker" Smartwool socks rather than the thinner ones, but the "thickness" is usually in displaced throughout the sock...like the shin because we tend to put more pressure there when skiing. I think racers tend to opt for the super thin socks because they want as much boot contact as possible and have their boots super tight. But the point is that most ski specific socks are "thinner" than what the every day person would consider thick or thin. :smile: WOW! Who knew I could talk so much about socks!!!! LOL!!!! Crazy!

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, good luck with finding new boots @SMichael08 ! Echoing the others the too-big boots - I have sz 6 feet which are narrow, and honestly I barely fit into the adult boots on the market. Currently in size 22.5 98mm last which are still too wide, so I have aftermarket liners to help fill up the volume. My next boots will probably be junior race boots as well. There's a few of us - ski boots manufacturers just don't really think about this end of the market, and it doesn't help that so many small-footed ladies are put into boots which are much too big! (My first pair of boots was too big as well. Having a too-big first pair of ski boots seems to be a necessary part of skiing :tongue: )
Just leaving my fitting, feeling a bit defeated (other than having new socks and glove liners). The store had called last week with a cancelation, mentioning that they were low on women’s stock. I missed that call, but called back and asked the manager of the department if it was worth coming in, given my likely size range. We talked for a bit, he thought they might have enough, but turns out he was heavily assuming from my running shoe size that I’d be a 22.5. Determined I’m a 21.5 with average last. They had one junior boot, but it was way too soft. Given what shops in the area are showing online, I think I’m going to need order online and then go in somewhere for moulding.
My question to y’all is what you’d be inclined to try. I asked the guy for general suggestions based on my fitting and got: average width/narrow last, try to look for a flex of 80-90. These are what I’m currently going finding online:
https://www.skis.com/Nordica-Dobermann-GP-90-Junior-Race-Ski-Boots-2020/618121P,default,pd.html

https://www.rei.com/product/162767/dalbello-lupo-ax-105-w-alpine-touring-ski-boots-womens-20192020. (I don’t need to go AT, but if it makes sense to get in the right size, I can - unless there’s any particular reason not to? I’m waiting to get bindings until I land on a pair of boots)

It looks like Dalbello also had some Chakras that came in 21.5, but I’m having a hard time finding anyone that currently has them in stock.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
Just leaving my fitting, feeling a bit defeated (other than having new socks and glove liners). The store had called last week with a cancelation, mentioning that they were low on women’s stock. I missed that call, but called back and asked the manager of the department if it was worth coming in, given my likely size range. We talked for a bit, he thought they might have enough, but turns out he was heavily assuming from my running shoe size that I’d be a 22.5. Determined I’m a 21.5 with average last. They had one junior boot, but it was way too soft. Given what shops in the area are showing online, I think I’m going to need order online and then go in somewhere for moulding.
My question to y’all is what you’d be inclined to try. I asked the guy for general suggestions based on my fitting and got: average width/narrow last, try to look for a flex of 80-90. These are what I’m currently going finding online:
https://www.skis.com/Nordica-Dobermann-GP-90-Junior-Race-Ski-Boots-2020/618121P,default,pd.html

https://www.rei.com/product/162767/dalbello-lupo-ax-105-w-alpine-touring-ski-boots-womens-20192020. (I don’t need to go AT, but if it makes sense to get in the right size, I can - unless there’s any particular reason not to? I’m waiting to get bindings until I land on a pair of boots)

It looks like Dalbello also had some Chakras that came in 21.5, but I’m having a hard time finding anyone that currently has them in stock.

Don't worry about feeling defeated! Think of it as an accomplishment! You now know more than you did and are closer to having a better fit! You have the info. Here are the boots that were suggested to me, but I haven't researched anything yet: Lange RS 90, Head RS 90, Tecnica Mach 1 85 W's, Rossignol All track Pro 100 woman's. My boot fitter suggested some of those and said they were all good. I'm almost thinking 90 might be too soft for my skiing, but I think that might work for you quite well. One of these days I'll do some more research on them. I wouldn't mind hearing what others have to say about these boots as well or if they have some other great ideas. Good luck!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! So my boots are currently Tecnica Jr race boots from almost 10 years ago (266 sole length and Tecnica doesn't do Mondo... but they say it's a 2.5)... I'm procrastinating getting new boots cause it's so difficult!!!! I wear a size 2 in converse shoes, can't fit into anything size 6, and usually go with a size 3 shoe or boot (mostly kids stuff). I've been measured at a Mondo 19 (could have been 21, but I can't remember exactly) ... but then they get too narrow for me and too soft. My first boots i bought myself were a 23.5... duh... too big!!! I didn't know it at the time though... it was a small Midwest store that only had that and wanted a sale i guess. In any case, I got better and smarter and found a bootfitter that could help. Adult boots can go down to 21.5 or you can opt for Jr race boots. I plan on upgrading this season... been looking for several seasons... and I am planning on going to racers edge in Breckenridge this time around. We'll see what happens. My Minnesota boot fitter gave me some options to look at. He said there were more options now than back then lol... go figure:

Lange RS 90, Head RS 90, Tecnica Mach 1 85 W's, Rossignol All track Pro 100 woman's. These are some good ones.

So that's what I'll be asking about or seeing what the boot fitter says when I go. Also be aware of the flex. I think mine were 90 flex at the time. I'm fairly aggressive now, and I totally over flex in these older ones I have because one, they're old and two, I'm better now. So be aware of that. Oh... and you mentioned quality... race boots tend to be of better quality than other kid boots, and if they have a good flex, 4 buckles, and adult lug, then more than likely they're OK. Although i think some are going to 3 buckles in different locations... not super sure on that point though. I am working on my level 3 certification now and I wear them, so don't worry too much about quality. A boot fitter will help determine that a well.

Keep me posted on what they say for you when you go! Thanks!
If you don't have any luck at the Racer's Edge and can get to Vail try Outdoor Divas. They are located in Lionshead. They are a woman's only outdoor shop and are great at fitting women's feet. I'm small footed too, although more of a size 5.5-6. I buy all my boots from Outdoor Divas because they always have a good selection of small sizes. Many shops in Vail send their small footed customers to them because they usually don't carry small sizes and Outdoor Divas does. Due to Covid I believe they are doing appointments only. Ask for Mike or Lauren.

My current boots are Technica Mach 1 LV, 95 flex in a 22.5. The sole length is 265. Last year Technica cheapened the quality of the 85 flex. I debated bumping to the 95 flex because I weigh 100 lbs. However, I'm very happy with the fit and stiffness of the boot. Many low volume boots irritate my instep or squish my forefoot but these do not.

And yes, a lot has changed over the years in woman's boot fit. Some companies still make a woman's boot shell on a men's last while making the liner on a woman's last. Some companies make a 23 shell and put a 22.5 liner in the boot. These little technicalities can make a huge difference in how a boot feels on the mountain.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't worry about feeling defeated! Think of it as an accomplishment! You now know more than you did and are closer to having a better fit! You have the info. Here are the boots that were suggested to me, but I haven't researched anything yet: Lange RS 90, Head RS 90, Tecnica Mach 1 85 W's, Rossignol All track Pro 100 woman's. My boot fitter suggested some of those and said they were all good. I'm almost thinking 90 might be too soft for my skiing, but I think that might work for you quite well. One of these days I'll do some more research on them. I wouldn't mind hearing what others have to say about these boots as well or if they have some other great ideas. Good luck!
This could be a long shot but give Outdoor Divas, women's only ski shop, in Vail a call. They usually have a good selection of boots for small footed skiers. I'm a 5.5-6 and I've tried on boots that were too small. I love Michael but Lauren is good too.

www.outdoordivas.com

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a previous version of the Technica Mach 1 85 LV which I liked but was too soft a flex for me even at 100 lbs. Last year Technica made some changes to their boots and cheapened the quality of the 85's. I went to the 95's and and much happier with the fit of the liner and the flex of the boot.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This could be a long shot but give Outdoor Divas, women's only ski shop, in Vail a call. They usually have a good selection of boots for small footed skiers. I'm a 5.5-6 and I've tried on boots that were too small. I love Michael but Lauren is good too.

www.outdoordivas.com
Thanks for letting me (us?) know about them! I'll keep them in mind going forward. Last night, I ordered a small selection (6 pair!) of boots to play around with and return what doesn't work. Mostly a mix of junior race boots and a couple Dalbellos. For the most part, I was able to find flexes in either 70 or 90. I didn't order anything lower than that because the boot fitter yesterday suggested I aim for 80 or 90.

However, I do have a question - is it possible to be able to test boot flex in a boot that is too big? We've already established that my current boots (23.5!) were way too big, but I'm also recognizing that they feel sufficiently stiff - maybe even too much? I also tried sticking my foot in a pair of used 24.5s that I have lying around that I bought for a friend I'm trying to convince to pick skiing back up. They are the Performa 4 with 55-60 adjustable flex dial that has a "hard" and "soft" setting. When I try to flex that boot, it feels about right, can get my knees over my toes fairly comfortably. But I don't know if it can get an accurate sense from a too-big boot.

Basically, I'm now wondering if 90 might actually be too stiff and if maybe I should have looked more at 70s and 65s. Or is it possible that if 55-60 flex felt about right, even in a too-big boot, that 70 might even be hard?

I know that sounds really low, but for reference: I'm 5'1, fairly small frame, and currently heavier than I've ever been at about 140+/- (though hoping the skiing helps me get back down to a more normal weight for me). I'm definitely not an overly aggressive skier ,and while I can ski just fine at an intermediate (maybe even advanced intermediate?) level, I'm not very athletic as a rule. I'm also not flexible and have incredibly tight hamstrings, so even trying to test the flex of a boot starts to feel like a bit of a workout.

I so appreciate this forum and the input from you all - especially those who can relate to finding gear for smaller bodies and parts!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot flex varies by company. Last year I tried on a 90 flex boot, sorry don't remember the brand, that felt softer in flex than my 85 Mach 1. The boot fitter didn't have the Mach 1 in my size in a 95 flex so he kept trying to talk me into the 85 flex even though I thought I needed more stiffness. He thought I wouldn't have enough strength for the 95 flex and when it got cold it would stiffen up too much. So far I haven't had that issue. I do workout with a personal trainer so that might be the reason I like a stiffer boot.

The major difference I felt is the softer boot just didn't seem to support me and my legs would get very tired after a few runs. Also, the 95 boot just seems to turn easier and quicker than the 85 boot, which makes more sense since it's a more advanced boot.

Can't answer the question of boot fit but I have a friend who is much bigger than I am and skis an 85 flex boot-it's comfortable, that's why she bought it. When she skis she flexes a lot at the ankle which makes me believe the boots are to soft for her. She also has problems controlling her Black Pearl skis.

Also, look at the features of each boot, who the company recommends them for. Not sure if they still do it but Technica was advertising the Mach 1 as a good boot for lighter weight skiers.

It's been a long time since I used Jr. boots. Some were too narrow and sometimes they're too wide. For awhile I used Lange Jr.s and they killed my feet, especially my instep.

I'd still check with Outdoor Divas. They work with so many women, are so knowledgable about the available boots and will know what to recommend. The more information you have will help you to determine if any of the boots you ordered will work.

kleinekarnes

Certified Ski Diva
If you don't have any luck at the Racer's Edge and can get to Vail try Outdoor Divas. They are located in Lionshead. They are a woman's only outdoor shop and are great at fitting women's feet. I'm small footed too, although more of a size 5.5-6. I buy all my boots from Outdoor Divas because they always have a good selection of small sizes. Many shops in Vail send their small footed customers to them because they usually don't carry small sizes and Outdoor Divas does. Due to Covid I believe they are doing appointments only. Ask for Mike or Lauren.

My current boots are Technica Mach 1 LV, 95 flex in a 22.5. The sole length is 265. Last year Technica cheapened the quality of the 85 flex. I debated bumping to the 95 flex because I weigh 100 lbs. However, I'm very happy with the fit and stiffness of the boot. Many low volume boots irritate my instep or squish my forefoot but these do not.

And yes, a lot has changed over the years in woman's boot fit. Some companies still make a woman's boot shell on a men's last while making the liner on a woman's last. Some companies make a 23 shell and put a 22.5 liner in the boot. These little technicalities can make a huge difference in how a boot feels on the mountain.

Man! So much good info thank you!!!!! I agree that having more info makes it easier to determine the type of boot and flex you'd like. my boots are old and therefore now softer, so I often overflex which is not ideal in skiing and hinders your ability use pressure skills adequately. I also think (but am not sure) that attempting to experiment with flex in a larger boot does not give a very accurate picture as the boot will not move with your foot as you attempt o flex and extend. But if you have the ability to order multiple boots and then return them, yes!!! Go you! I will definitely check into Outdoor Divas! Any extra options for finding boots is going to be so great!!!!! I wouldn't go too low on the flex, but if you have trouble getting your pressure in the front of the boot to pressure the front of your ski (which many women have an issue with this...as well as men lol), then it might be easier to learn with a slightly softer flex. However, it's not the flex as much as hip and knee movements/angles that will keep you forward. I would follow Little Lightning's advice and call up the Outdoor Divas. You might be able to learn some good info from them. :smile: Thanks everyone!!!!!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flex isn’t standardized across brands but seconding that 70 sounds soft for your stats. My 11 year old dd is about 5’1 and 115 lbs intermediate skier and flexes her 70s nicely. After a year or so of lessons and really working on my form I found my 90 flex too soft and was able to switch out to a stiffer intuition liner which their literature says adds about 15 to the stiffness — might be an option should your skills grow before you are ready for new boots.

In general though a boot fitter can make a stiffer boot softer but not the reverse.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all! This is helpful! I have a mix of options ordered: Fischer Podium 70s, Dalbello DRS 70s, Nordica Doberman 70s and 90s, and the Dalbello Chakra in 90. I also had the Rossi and Lange jr racers on my list, but the shipping for those (from the site where they were cheapest) was ridiculous, so at least starting with getting a basic sense of preference less-stiff vs. stiffer.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it difficult to work out if I can flex a ski boot appropriately from just standing there, flexing it in the shop. I thought my boots might be too stiff in the shop but my fitter said I was flexing them fine, so I took his word for it. As it turns out - yeah, when I'm actually on the hill skiing, I can flex them just fine. (confirmed by two high-level instructors who both noted that not only was I flexing them fine, I was managing to over-flex them at times due to poor ski technique! :P)

Anyway, these are boots that I would never have chosen for myself based on the flex rating. It's so hard to know what flex is correct when you're not on snow.

However, I do have a question - is it possible to be able to test boot flex in a boot that is too big?
I'm also not flexible and have incredibly tight hamstrings, so even trying to test the flex of a boot starts to feel like a bit of a workout.

Testing boot flex in a boot that is too big - probably not. There's actually a Blister Gear:30 podcast where they touch on this briefly (it's one of the a very deep dive on ski boots ones). Basically if the boot isn't being properly filled up by a foot of an appropriate size, it won't flex in the way it's designed to.

And just to touch on that last point - I'm sure YMMV on this, and this should absolutely be discussed with your own bootfitter who can actually see your feet and legs!!! - but if you don't have very good ankle flexion (as it sounds like from your comment on tight hamstrings?), then a fitter might actually recommend a stiffer boot. I THINK the reason is that if you don't have good ankle flexion, you won't be able to access the whole flex range of a softer boot, and I guess that means you won't be able to adequately pressure the ski. This is anecdotal though. At the time I bought my current ski boots, I was recovering from a severe ankle injury which had left me with garbage ankle flexion. It was one of the reasons my fitter recommended a stiffer boot for me.

Thanks all! This is helpful! I have a mix of options ordered: Fischer Podium 70s, Dalbello DRS 70s, Nordica Doberman 70s and 90s, and the Dalbello Chakra in 90. I also had the Rossi and Lange jr racers on my list, but the shipping for those (from the site where they were cheapest) was ridiculous, so at least starting with getting a basic sense of preference less-stiff vs. stiffer.

Good luck!!! :smile:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SMichael08 , I seriously doubt you would want boots in the 60-80 flex range.
Those ratings no matter what company will be too soft, and your skiing will suffer, not to mention the fatigue from constant adjustment your legs would be making with every turn.

I am 90# and 5'1 and ski in a 95. I have had the Chakras in two models. The reason I ended up going back into a junior race boot is due more to my size foot than the flex rating; however the liner in the Chakras made the boot stiffer. They had Intuition liners and those, while nice, also added an extra stiffness that just wasn't helping my leverage overall. I liked them initially, but in a year or so of using Chakras I decided they were fighting against me . I am not advocating to stay away from the Dalbello, and it may actually be a nice boot for you. What I am saying though is to consider more the fit of the boot than the flex rating being higher than you think is doable.

Last edited:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One of the reasons I like women's boots is the cuff adjustment available on most of them. I have wider calves and very narrow lower leg. The cuff adjustment seems to help hold my ankles in the boots. With boots that had shells not made on a woman's last they rubbed a lot on my very bony ankle bones and my heel moved a lot. I had padding added and it would work for awhile but then the rubbing would start again. Also, with a wider forefoot and a narrow heel I can't stand having pressure on the sides of my forefoot.
One thing my boot fitter did before he put me into the Tecnica Mach 1 was check my squat. I can squat to the floor. Because of my weight we decided the 85 flex was right. He also watches my face. If I'm not sure about the boot he won't sell it to me. He would rather put me into a boot that fits well than spend the time having to do adjustments to make the boot fit. He will also put my old boot on 1 foot and the boot I chose as the best fit on the other foot. Then he asks me which feels better. If I like 2 different brands of boots he'll do the same, put one on each foot and have me compare the difference. This method gives me a chance to decide the pros and cons of each boot.
I once tried on Nordica Jr. racers and I swam in them vs. having pain on the top of my foot in Lange Jr. racers. Plus, the Langes came up too high on my leg.
At the time I bought the Mach1 85's I was injured so the 85 flex was probably right for me. I over came the injury and last year just felt like I needed a stiffer boot. So I went to the 95 flex. Even though the flex is rated at 95 the boot is advertised on the softer side.
I start new boots in the Smartwool light weight socks, then move to the Smartwool medium weight socks as the liner packs out. I could never use a very thin sock. The padding placed in the Smartwool socks helps to protect my prominent bones and veins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna