• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resort closures 2020

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Looks like I won't be skiing my birthday this year afterall; I was already concerned because all the NC schools have closed.

"After careful thought and deliberation over the past few weeks watching the spread of COVID-19, and under the guidance of public health experts and Governor Roy Cooper, we believe it is in the best interest of our guests and employee’s health, Cataloochee will be closing Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 4:30pm for the remainder of the 19-20 season. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this short notice with undoubtedly create and thank you for understanding."

marzNC

Angel Diva
I do have to say, I think it’s easier here, mentally, because it's basically end of season anyway and it's spring outside my window. I'm not watching it dump snow that I can’t ski on.
Agree. The southeast ski season normally ends mid-March. Any ski days after that are a bonus that doesn't happen regularly.

As expected, Massanutten will close for the season after today. It was Honor Our Heroes day (free for military families), so I guess that's one reason they kept the lifts running even thought there is limited snow and fog/drizzle.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yep Boyne in New England is now out, they said closed until further notice, but assuming we are done done. Wachusett announced today as well. Shipyard is staying open for now regardless of the mountain, this surprised me. A lot of people planning to go up still to do other activities. I plan to skin through spring unless travel bans etc. shut that down too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This could be the reason Colorado's Governor closed the ski areas.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/isolated-australians-allegedly-defy-order-go-skiing/
Colorado has clearly had community spread for weeks, and in more than one part of the state. I can understand why CO public health officials were making a point to say that the location of the Australians was being kept private.

I suggest we keep this thread about letting Divas know about resort closing announcements. Shouldn't be too much longer.

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
Closing statement from Win Smith:

While our season has likely come to an abrupt halt in a way we might not have anticipated, I believe the decision to suspend operations as of this morning is the right one for the overall safety of our most vulnerable. I just apologize for the timing, confusion and inconvenience that it may have caused many of you. I share everyone’s disappointment in not being able to continue to enjoy lift accessed skiing and riding for at least several more weeks which are some of the most enjoyable days of the season. While it is unlikely that we will reopen this season, if the COVID-19 pandemic stabilizes and it is deemed safe to have large assemblies of people once again, we might reopen on a limited basis at Lincoln Peak with terrain accessible off the Valley House Quad. However, I would not count on that at this moment. I for one would love to ski my 100th day this season, having only made it to 99, but safety will be the determinant.

As has been the case in the past when we have closed, all may skin on either mountain. However, there will still be machinery and operations on the trails for some days as we clear the mountain for the season, so we ask that everyone be aware of that.

Many of you have made reservations for lodging, lessons, rentals and other services. We will be working with you to either issue a credit or a refund. If you have not done so already, please reach out to our reservations team at 1-800-537-8427 or email: [email protected]. With respect to those who have unused Quad Pack and Four Pack tickets, they will be valid through 12/24/20 so there is no need to call about them. We do not have plans to refund or credit season passes, though.

While Sugarbush is closed at the present to all guest services including Day Care and the SHaRC, we are not closed as a business. Our Water and Waste Water Company is open as usual and so too are our property management services for Clay Brook, Rice Brook and Gadd Brook. The vast majority of our seasonal employees will be leaving earlier than usual, but all of our full time employees will still be working. Importantly, we anticipate that our summer operations will be in full swing and that our planned weddings will be held unless the COVID-19 pandemic continues in a way that prevents this from occurring.

This has been a very challenging winter in many ways, but I am very proud of our team for how they have responded to adversity and how they have strived to deliver you the best service possible. And I am very grateful for your continued loyalty and support, and I am looking forward to a return to a more normal winter next season.

Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions or suggestions to help us be better here. While our adventure and camaraderie has been put on hold for a bit, it will be back. In the meantime, stay healthy and look out for others.

All the best,
Win

Jilly

Staff member
All Quebec resorts are closing. This is a government decree. It also includes all bars.

Christy

Angel Diva
Baker was the last of the WA ski areas to close, and here's something I hadn't thought about (in bold).

Hello Mt. Baker Skiers and Snowboarders,

In light of current circumstances, we are continuing to evaluate and base decisions about our operations in direct consult with health care professionals in our region and with timely information and guidance issued through our State and the CDC.

In discussions this morning with the Medical Program Director Emergency Medical Services for Whatcom County and health care community members, it was decided that the availability of the 70+ valued medics, nurses, flight nurses, and doctors who are members of our ski patrol and help provide emergency medical services on a daily basis here is now needed in the hospital and health care community. While some of our foundational medical resources at the ski area are utilized elsewhere, we will be taking a pause in our ski area operations for the next 7-10 days. On Sunday March 22nd we will consulting again with health officials to assess the availability of our Aid Room staff professionals and reassess the situation for possible reopening on March 24th.

Our core staff will continue working through this time to keep things ready to go at a moment’s notice. We assure you we will resume operations at the earliest opportunity that our medical care resources allow and within parameters and guidelines of what is in the best interest of the mountain, local and greater global communities.

We will continue to pay staff members who are scheduled to work through April 2 regardless of what day we may resume operations before then.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smuggler's Notch in Vermont is staying open, and they are taking a beating on their social media page for the decision. I'm glad to see so many voices of reason calling them out for it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Smuggler's Notch in Vermont is staying open, and they are taking a beating on their social media page for the decision. I'm glad to see so many voices of reason calling them out for it.

I’m pretty amazed anyone is still open, like how do you justify it when practically the entire industry is closed right now nationwide!?!? Seeing it on social media for places like Waterville as well. Lots of bashing going on from both sides, yikes.. Isn’t Waterville owned by the governor of NH or something? Talk about a conflict of interest of epic proportions..

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m pretty amazed anyone is still open, like how do you justify it when practically the entire industry is closed right now nationwide!?!? Seeing it on social media for places like Waterville as well. Lots of bashing going on from both sides, yikes.. Isn’t Waterville owned by the governor of NH or something? Talk about a conflict of interest of epic proportions..
No the Gov. of NH doesn't own Waterville Valley any more. He moved on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Two small ski areas in NC are open today. One finally announced they will close after Tue, March 16. Sugar typically wants to be first-to-open and last-to-close. We'll see what App decides today.

All other ski areas in NC, VA, and WV are closed on or before March 15.

MissySki

Angel Diva
No the Gov. of NH doesn't own Waterville Valley any more. He moved on.

Oh okay, well that’s good then. I thought it was still run by a local politician, is that completely incorrect?? I remember seeing reference to something like that when the debate about taxing ski tickets in NH came up on social media. I might be misremembering though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh okay, well that’s good then. I thought it was still run by a local politician, is that completely incorrect?? I remember seeing reference to something like that when the debate about taxing ski tickets in NH came up on social media. I might be misremembering though.
Well, I'm not completely right either. There is a connection to the Sununu family in terms of ownership. But not sure exactly what the details are. Not really worth the time to investigate now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga