• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resort closures 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
Doesn't the state of NH own Cannon? So why is that open?
Because Gov. Sununu wants all the NH ski areas to stay open. <sigh>

Gov. Cuomo of New York talked about making NY State Parks free and encourage families to go to a park with their kids. That was at the news conference today when he announced the idea of restricting gatherings of more than 50 people.

March 17, 2020, CNBC
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/new...o-more-than-1300-hospitalizing-19percent.html

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Silver, 49, Lookout are also still open. So is Brundage. I heard they rearranged the lunchroom at Schweitzer to make it more distancy. I dunno.... seems to me that unless you keep people out of the buildings and load them single on the chairs, that you are part of the problem right now. By the time it starts showing up in the community it will be kind of late. Esp here in WA where gyms and salons are closed, all restaurants have gone to take out, cafes & bars are closed... how is a ski area exempt?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Silver, 49, Lookout are also still open. So is Brundage. I heard they rearranged the lunchroom at Schweitzer to make it more distancy. I dunno.... seems to me that unless you keep people out of the buildings and load them single on the chairs, that you are part of the problem right now. By the time it starts showing up in the community it will be kind of late. Esp here in WA where gyms and salons are closed, all restaurants have gone to take out, cafes & bars are closed... how is a ski area exempt?
My guess is that it won't be much longer. AZ Snowbowl was going to stay open. But announced this morning that it was closing for the season at 4:30pm. Executive order by the local mayor to close the restaurants, bars, and "entertainment venues" probably made it easier to make the call.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 10.21.03 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Freeskier is attempting to keep track of all the ski areas/resorts remaining open in N. America. The list is shrinking rapidly. More decisions are likely during the day March 18. The article includes announcements by some of the places.

Started March 16 and being updated, Freeskier
https://freeskier.com/stories/these-ski-resorts-remain-open-amidst-the-coronavirus-outbreak

RCR has announced "temporary" closures for their resorts in Canada. There is evidence of community spread in Calgary. But like VR that hopes to re-open W-B in late April, RCR probably wants to stay hopeful. However, since the U.S. has become a source for Canada it wouldn't be surprising if Americans would not be welcome. Castle is requiring proof of a 14-day self-isolation after travel from outside Canada. Castle is not honoring Powder Alliance or Indy passes from Americans.

March 16, being updated, Global News (Canada)
Coronavirus: Ski hills in Alberta and B.C. close temporarily

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now we see what happens next in NH.

March 18, NH Public Radio
Many N.H. Ski Areas Close Due to Coronavirus; Governor Orders Cannon to Close
https://www.nhpr.org/post/many-nh-s...navirus-governor-orders-cannon-close#stream/0
"UPDATE: Governor Sununu announced Wednesday, March 18, that he has ordered Cannon Mountain, a state-run ski area, to cease operations at the close of business on March 18.

“It has become clear today that large amounts of public congregation is occurring at Cannon Mountain," Sununu said in a statement. "With the weekend quickly approaching, I have instructed Cannon management to cease operations by end of business today.”
. . ."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Cannon and Bretton Woods FINALLY closed. Today.

Waterville Valley is still going. Because it's owned by the Governor (or his family. Either way, it's just plain wrong).

How the heck does the governor close Cannon and not Waterville?!? Somehow there is no public gathering happening there? What an absolute conflict of interest..

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Schweitzer finally closed. I am astounded that some still insist on staying open.
This plan seems ridiculous to me. I bet it doesn't last another 24 hours.
COVID-19 Public Notice - 49 Degrees North
Update: March 17th @ 2:50pm

49 Degrees North will continue to follow our operating schedule - BUT we need your help to do so!

49 Degrees North management and staff will be implementing a plan for social distancing and sanitation based on the guidance of local and state health officials. Cooperation from our guests in following the guidelines for social distancing will be crucial to our continued operations.

The plan:
- The Boomtown Bar is now closed
- The Lodge, Cy's Cafe and both decks will no longer be open for eating, please eat in your vehicle, or out on the mountain. As always, we appreciate your help with making sure trash is disposed of properly.

-The lodge and Cy’s café will be available on a controlled basis for quick warm-ups, please limit your stay in either space to no more than 15 minutes at a time.

- The Quickturn Cafe will not cook or serve hot food. Sack lunches with pre-packaged foods will be available for purchase next to the East double doors on the main floor of the lodge
- Lodge, Cy’s Café and deck occupancy will be limited and access will be will be monitored by 49 Degrees North staff, we ask that you follow all direction from our crowd control monitors.
- Parking lot capacity will be limited and monitored by 49 staff, please obey all instructions from parking attendants. We will have a good deal of parking available, but if the lots are at capacity, you will be turned around.

- Occupancy within the rental shop will be limited, please follow all instructions.

What you need to know:
- SIT WITH WHO YOU DROVE WITH
- The responsibility to keep yourself and others safe and healthy is on YOU
- We will have food and drink options available, but we also encourage folks to bring their own food/snacks. Please gear up at your vehicle. Your vehicle is also a great place for refueling.
- Social distancing is extremely important everywhere at the resort including lift lines, inside the Lodge, Rental Shop, Ticket Office and Cy's Café.
- Continue to practice good hygiene and health authority recommendations. If you are feeling unwell at all please stay home

-Lift operators, in additional to other resort staff, will be practicing social distancing

We encourage everyone to stay healthy and active during this time. We need your help to make this successful! Let's enjoy all that spring skiing has to offer together, but 6 feet away from each other. Thank you all, please stay in touch here and on social media for further updates.

Snowsports School Update: March 17th

As a precaution we will only be offering limited lessons for the remainder of the season. We will be offering lessons for pre-purchased packages this weekend only (3/21 and 3/22). That will include our current EZ 123 and Discovery Club Flex students. Limited private lessons will continue to be offered on all operation days. Space is limited so please make your reservation early. We will be practicing social distancing during lessons. Students must be able to be independent and ride the lift by themselves. Please call 509-935-6649 ext 610 or email [email protected] with any questions

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The statement from Waterville Valley is appalling. I'll reprint it here:

Dear Waterville Valley Family,

Over the past week, Waterville Valley Resort has modified our operations to continue to responsibly provide a valuable outdoor recreation service in an effort to support our employees and the skiing community in search of joy and fun during this trying time. All CDC recommendations have been utilized and followed every step of the way. Our efforts have included moving seating outside with significant spacing, limiting indoor facility access to only bathrooms, maximizing cleaning procedures, eliminating lines and grouping on lifts, and closing rental and ski school operations as well as restaurant and bar outlets. Over the past few days our staff has been overwhelmed with the gratitude shown by our guests. Our team has made special focused efforts to find a way to share the open space and fresh air of the beautiful White Mountains with our visitors. The pursuit of enjoyment through outdoor recreation has a power on the soul that we could all use right now.

Despite these efforts, and despite the extremely limited personal contact inherent in our reduced operations, our continuing operations have been met with outcry by many who choose to misrepresent our efforts and have created an environment that has incited people to act irresponsibly to the point of becoming abusive and threatening to our staff. Therefore, regretfully, effective at 4:00pm today, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Waterville Valley Resort will close for winter operations for the 2019/2020 ski season.

Thank you for the support and for a wonderful season.

So they're not closing to protect the health of their guests and employees; they're only closing because they've been treated unfairly. In other words, poor Waterville Valley. They're the VICTIMS in all this.

Cry. Me. A. River.

They've lost a lot of good will over this, I think.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Over the past week, Waterville Valley Resort has modified our operations to continue to responsibly provide a valuable outdoor recreation service in an effort to support our employees and the skiing community in search of joy and fun during this trying time. All CDC recommendations have been utilized and followed every step of the way. Our efforts have included moving seating outside with significant spacing, limiting indoor facility access to only bathrooms, maximizing cleaning procedures, eliminating lines and grouping on lifts, and closing rental and ski school operations as well as restaurant and bar outlets. Over the past few days our staff has been overwhelmed with the gratitude shown by our guests. Our team has made special focused efforts to find a way to share the open space and fresh air of the beautiful White Mountains with our visitors. The pursuit of enjoyment through outdoor recreation has a power on the soul that we could all use right now.

Despite these efforts, and despite the extremely limited personal contact inherent in our reduced operations, our continuing operations have been met with outcry by many who choose to misrepresent our efforts and have created an environment that has incited people to act irresponsibly to the point of becoming abusive and threatening to our staff. Therefore, regretfully, effective at 4:00pm today, Wednesday, March 18, 2020, Waterville Valley Resort will close for winter operations for the 2019/2020 ski season.

So they're not closing to protect the health of their guests and employees; they're only closing because they've been treated unfairly. In other words, poor Waterville Valley. They're the VICTIMS in all this.

Cry. Me. A. River.

"misrepresent our efforts..." ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME???? Oh man .... that was as polite as I could manage.

newboots

Angel Diva

Cry. Me. A. River.

Ugh.

I had a big beef with them a couple years ago when their website was quite misleading about the ticket price on April Fool’s Day. After I emailed they changed the website and had the audacity to disagree, it was “not misleading at all.” I finally got a substantial discount by threatening never to go there again (we had reservations at a B&B, and several of their other customers were counting on that discount, too).

I don’t like them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turns out lifts are still spinning in BC in Canada today. Hudson Bay and Powder King are open. Must say I've never heard of either place. Got the news from an Aussie who lives in Canada near Apex Mountain.

Hudson Bay trying to make it clear it's open for locals only. Asking travelers to stay away and not honoring any reciprocal agreements.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 10.46.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-03-19 at 10.46.59 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna