• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resort closures 2020

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Vail has shut down all its resorts for a week to "reassess the situation." We'll see if they re-open after that.
That's what I'm wondering. IKON did not really give a date range. Now I'm wondering about Sierra at Tahoe, Mt Rose, or Sugar Bowl.... I imagine they will close as well.

ETA: Sugar Bowl closed

Soujan

Angel Diva
Ugh...I was supposed to leave in a week to go to SLC. Now I have to cancel everything!

newboots

Angel Diva
I wonder what will happen at Killington? They love being open the longest in New England, or whatever their claim is. Often there's a patch of snow to ski into June, if you don't mind a lot of mud.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder what will happen at Killington? They love being open the longest in New England, or whatever their claim is. Often there's a patch of snow to ski into June, if you don't mind a lot of mud.

I was wondering the same thing. My bet is that they'll close, too.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wondering the same thing. My bet is that they'll close, too.

I would figure yes, at least short term. But one never knows.

I'm sufficiently freaked out at this point I'd likely only exercise outdoors anyway! Walking, jogging, hiking. And for me, indoor fun of cleaning and packing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if the State of Vermont closed the remaining open ski resorts. That's what happened in Colorado. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vail and Alterra shut down was a reaction to the knowledge that an order from the governor was coming.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
As mentioned earlier in the thread . . . Colorado skiing is closed, by order of the Governor.

March 14, Aspen Times
Aspen Skiing Co. shuts down all four mountains after Colorado governor orders closure
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/asp...tains-after-colorado-governor-orders-closure/

March 14, 9 News in Colorado
Colorado ski resorts closing amid coronavirus outbreak
Closures at all of Vail Resorts' and Alterra Mountain Company's North American properties, as well as Arapahoe Basin and Loveland, begin March 15.
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...break/73-7fa49e14-69b0-47f9-acb6-529d34341445

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It wouldn't surprise me if the State of Vermont closed the remaining open ski resorts. That's what happened in Colorado. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Vail and Alterra shut down was a reaction to the knowledge that an order from the governor was coming.

I agree. I won’t be surprised if all the ski resorts close in US like several of the European countries. But I am hopeful that some will reopen at a later time in April or May.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Official email from Alta.

Alta Ski Area to Suspend Operations - Effective March 15
March 14, 2020
Dear Alta Skier,

Alta Ski Area will be suspending operations starting Sunday morning, March 15, until further notice to limit the spread of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Lift operations, food service and retail and rental services will be closed. Avalanche control work will continue as necessary to protect ski area assets.

We sincerely apologize to skiers who are staying at Alta and those who had planned to ski at Alta between now and the end of the season. We will continue to monitor and assess the situation and may consider re-opening if circumstances warrant doing so.

Our offices will be open to answer questions via telephone (801) 359-1078 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm daily or you may email us at [email protected].

I look forward to seeing you experience the beauty, magic and character of Alta in the future.

Mike Maughan
President and General Manager
Alta Ski Area

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna