• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resort closures 2020

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jackson Hole announced that they plan to stay open for now and Grand Targhee says they intend to stay open until their scheduled closing day. We just watched a live stream announcing that someone tested positive for Coronavirus in Teton County though so I’m wondering if that will change. And of course it’s dumping snow tonight after a long dry spell.

newboots

Angel Diva
I agree. I won’t be surprised if all the ski resorts close in US like several of the European countries. But I am hopeful that some will reopen at a later time in April or May.

I doubt we will be in recovery by then. Probably just peaking in some parts of the country.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
I expect resorts that are open currently will shutter in a matter of hours or days. No way a resort can stay open when (a) we're in a worldwide pandemic, (b) USA declared a national emergency, and (c) other resorts are closing.

Although Vail says they'll reopen in March 22, this is almost certainly the end of the ski season in the USA. Covid-19 is just starting to pick up in the USA. We're only at the beginning unfortunately.

Stay safe everyone. Assume everyone has it, even if asymptomatic. The vast majority of people will recover without incident, but protect the vulnerable (elderly or immunocompromised). Social distancing and hygiene is key.

I'm sad that my home resort closed given that it's snowing 3" per hour for the next day or two. But, it's the right call.

newboots

Angel Diva
Well, it’s official. Killington and Pico are also suspending operation as predicted

Wow! I just checked a little while ago! Seems they are trying the one-week shutdown too.
Mr. Blizzard is going to have a meltdown.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As expected, Snowbird and Brighton suspending operations. Snowbird states just for a week with same schedule as announced by Vail Resorts. Brighton just says suspended.

So LCC, BCC, and Parley's Canyon won't have any lifts running as of March 15.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Although Taos expects to run lifts this week, they are not selling day tickets. So essentially only for season passholders or Ikon holders who are day trippers or people who already have lodging reserved.

Taos Ski Valley website as of March 14, 2020
WINDING DOWN OPERATIONS
We are winding down our operations for the season. We will be accepting no new skiers and no reservations for lodging or selling daily lift tickets starting Sunday, March 15.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mammoth is always open 'till the 4th or July and usually later. I wonder if they will reopen but noone knows how long this will last. I have a trip planned April 15th and have until April 1st to cancel lodging. I assume I will have to. No IKON refund though......

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Mammoth is always open 'till the 4th or July and usually later. I wonder if they will reopen but noone knows how long this will last. I have a trip planned April 15th and have until April 1st to cancel lodging. I assume I will have to. No IKON refund though......

Sad to say, but I would cancel. This is definitely going longer than April 15. But, you have until April 1.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Boyne, earth to Boyne?! I see they are closing a couple of mountains elsewhere, but nothing in New England yet.. I’ll be shocked if there isn’t a further announcement today?? There are still a lot of mountains open in New Hampshire and Maine, assuming they are all next? I’m skiing today in case it is the last loft serviced day I get. Then I am wondering how much to take home from my seasonal condo rental. I plan to come back and skin if the resort closes, but starting to wonder if any travel restrictions between states could be issued as well in coming days which worries me.. I hope that’s just me being paranoid, but who knows at this point. My anxiety keeps ratcheting up with everything happening and changing so quickly.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! I just checked a little while ago! Seems they are trying the one-week shutdown too.
Mr. Blizzard is going to have a meltdown.

I seriously doubt this is a one week shutdown. Vail Resorts said one week, too, and I think for Killington, it's a case of monkey-see monkey-do. But this situation is not going away in a week.

Personally, I'm glad they're all shutting down. We get a lot of people coming up to Vermont to ski, and closing ski resorts can make a huge difference. The man who was found with COVID-19 in Ludlow had come up from Westchester County, NY, a real hot bed of infection.

The awful part of this is the ripple effect this will have on the economy. I mean, it's bad for resort employees, certainly, but also for lodging, restaurants, retail, and so on. A lot of people are going to suffer financially because of this.

And yes, Mr. Blizzard isn't the only one having a meltdown.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Magic here in VT is closing.

Didn't take long for all the dominoes to fall.

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant and Blue Mountain (Collingwood) closed last night. Locally there is a small hill about 1 hour away. They are still open, but only the washrooms will be available to the public. No rentals, no lessons.....

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boyne, earth to Boyne?! I see they are closing a couple of mountains elsewhere, but nothing in New England yet.. I’ll be shocked if there isn’t a further announcement today?? There are still a lot of mountains open in New Hampshire and Maine, assuming they are all next? I’m skiing today in case it is the last loft serviced day I get. Then I am wondering how much to take home from my seasonal condo rental. I plan to come back and skin if the resort closes, but starting to wonder if any travel restrictions between states could be issued as well in coming days which worries me.. I hope that’s just me being paranoid, but who knows at this point. My anxiety keeps ratcheting up with everything happening and changing so quickly.

My anxiety level, too. Probably everyone’s.

I just sent a text to my landlord advising her of the Vail situation. This was my fifth season in this place. I have asked if I can store things in a more or less hidden space as I have done in past years. She doesn’t live here full-time.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cataloochee in NC

“After careful thought and deliberation over the past few weeks watching the spread of COVID-19, and under the guidance of public health experts and Governor Roy Cooper, we believe it is in the best interest of our guests and employee’s health, Cataloochee will be closing Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 4:30pm for the remainder of the 19-20 season. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this short notice will undoubtedly create and thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you back to the mountains for our 2020-2021 season.”

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We need to Flatten the Curve! We can do this! Sanitize all buildings closed the next couple of weeks, isolate where the outbreaks are and contain this and it will die off like it is in Japan, Singapore, and even China.. WE CAN DO THIS

1584276076998.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna