• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

whiteface4ever

Diva in Training
Yes, agreed - the first week or two in March is my favorite time here in a good year... Warm, sunny and just a great time to play & grin in the sun...
Just not to be this year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten started up snowmaking again last night! Still have a few fan guns blowing at the base just before opening the lifts on Saturday morning, Feb. 25.

There is a Winter Weather Advisory during the day today with the possibility of snow and freezing rain. Crazy weather. Hopefully that means cold enough temps for more snowmaking tonight.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even this is closing weekend for Wintergreen, they are still taking advantage of the cold snap to make more snow so that conditions will be a bit better for Feb. 25-26.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Would love ideas .... my daughter has a three-day weekend next weekend. Assuming we are driving from DC, is Timberline our best bet? (I see they still have most trails open this weekend; lows through the week predicted to hover right above freezing with rain Thursday and Friday, but colder Sat/Sun.) How much further would we need to drive for better conditions and where would you suggest?

We did get a few real snow flakes this afternoon in DC but what a bust the winter has been ....

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would love ideas .... my daughter has a three-day weekend next weekend. Assuming we are driving from DC, is Timberline our best bet? (I see they still have most trails open this weekend; lows through the week predicted to hover right above freezing with rain Thursday and Friday, but colder Sat/Sun.) How much further would we need to drive for better conditions and where would you suggest?

We did get a few real snow flakes this afternoon in DC but what a bust the winter has been ....
Timberline is where I would be driving to from DC at this point. Not worth the extra driving and expense to go to Snowshoe.

Normally, driving north from DC would be worth considering after Pres. Day. But eastern PA has had much less cold weather for snowmaking compared to WV this winter. I like Montage. Elk has good points too. That's the home mountain for a few Divas who live in the Philadelphia metro area.

Have you ever been to Timberline? It's great fun and very well run. I've gone more than once since the Perfect family took over when I'm going to be at Massanutten for a full week. Have done midweek day trips and stayed overnight. I keep up with news about Timberline on DCSki. Many of the long time members of DCSki enjoyed Timberline before it went downhill and closed for a couple seasons. They are all tickled about all the improvements in recent years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For this weekend, Massanutten is down to the core trails. That means Southern Comfort (green), Upper and Lower Showtime (blue), and Diamond Jim (black). Mueller's Mile (blue) from the top is closed. There are a couple sections of Mueller's that get a lot of sun exposure. It's possible to ski Upper Paradice to Ridgecrest (blue) but Upper Mass Transit and Yee Ha are closed so can't go that way and lap the Peak lift.

Wintergreen is open with core trails only. While the Acorn lift is running, only Eagle Swoop (blue) is open and the cross trails are closed. Dobie (green) and the terrain park are open off the Blue Ridge Express. There is essentially one way down off the Highlands lift (black).

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Timberline is where I would be driving to from DC at this point. Not worth the extra driving and expense to go to Snowshoe.

Normally, driving north from DC would be worth considering after Pres. Day. But eastern PA has had much less cold weather for snowmaking compared to WV this winter. I like Montage. Elk has good points too. That's the home mountain for a few Divas who live in the Philadelphia metro area.

Have you ever been to Timberline? It's great fun and very well run. I've gone more than once since the Perfect family took over when I'm going to be at Massanutten for a full week. Have done midweek day trips and stayed overnight. I keep up with news about Timberline on DCSki. Many of the long time members of DCSki enjoyed Timberline before it went downhill and closed for a couple seasons. They are all tickled about all the improvements in recent years.
Thanks! Yes, we have skied at Timberline the last two seasons -- rather than looking for something new, maybe I should just be grateful if they have snow next week! And good to know re: Montage and Elk.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure about conditions at Timberline but keep in mind that the Perfect family has managed to survive in Indiana when winters like you're having weren't that unusual. In the early 80's they opened Perfect North Slopes in Indiana, near Cincinnati. Everyone was skeptical they would make it with the mild winters common in the Ohio Valley. They learned the process for snowmaking in the local environment and have managed to survive in spite of the weather.

According to the Perfect North FB page. They have suspended skiing during the week to avoid grooming which deteriorates the snow pack. They will reopen for the weekend. I'm confident that the Perfects are working on a similar plan for Timberline.

Interesting that Vail Resorts couldn't figure out how to handle the weather and closed Paoli Peaks which is also in Indiana.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like Timberline has followed the Perfect North process with suspended activity mid-week to preserve the snow base. Reopens later in the week.
I skied at PNS from their opening season until 2004 when I retired and moved to Colorado. I trust that they know what they are doing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I skied at PNS from their opening season until 2004 when I retired and moved to Colorado. I trust that they know what they are doing.
That's cool you skied Perfect North! I remember someone from SkiSoutheast who lived in TN (or was it AL?) went there once to check it out. He was impressed. I noticed after his trip report that night skiing lasted until midnight or even later on weekends.

The history of skiing in the midwest is fascinating. Very different in Indiana and Ohio than farther north where it's cold enough for snowmaking a lot longer. It was clear from the start that the Chip Perfect and his team knew exactly what it would take to turn Timberline in WV into a successful resort that the terrain deserved. The former owners were . . . not smart or sensible enough.

There is a short section about Timberline in an interview with the current GM of Perfect North.

June 2022

RFID was installed at Timberline at the same time as the lifts were upgraded after the purchase. My understanding is that the way RFID is being used at Timberline will be implemented at Perfect North sooner or later. The way discounts for midweek, <4 hour, and PM skiing are implemented the idea of someone at Perfect North. An RFID card for Timberline actually serves two purposes. The obvious one is for lift access through RFID gates at the chairlifts. A card also functions as a Gift Card. Credits for discounts accumulate there. That credit can be used for food and beverage, or at the ski shop, or for another lift ticket. Credits carry over to the next season.

When I skied starting after 1pm on a Monday in January, I got $30 in credit. $10 for starting after 1pm, $10 for skiing Mon-Fri, and in the evening after the lifts closed, $10 for skiing less than 4 hours. I applied the credit towards a lift ticket on Tuesday. I have credit from the second day that provides an incentive to go back next season.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's cool you skied Perfect North! I remember someone from SkiSoutheast who lived in TN (or was it AL?) went there once to check it out. He was impressed. I noticed after his trip report that night skiing lasted until midnight or even later on weekends.

The history of skiing in the midwest is fascinating. Very different in Indiana and Ohio than farther north where it's cold enough for snowmaking a lot longer. It was clear from the start that the Chip Perfect and his team knew exactly what it would take to turn Timberline in WV into a successful resort that the terrain deserved. The former owners were . . . not smart or sensible enough.

There is a short section about Timberline in an interview with the current GM of Perfect North.

June 2022

RFID was installed at Timberline at the same time as the lifts were upgraded after the purchase. My understanding is that the way RFID is being used at Timberline will be implemented at Perfect North sooner or later. The way discounts for midweek, <4 hour, and PM skiing are implemented the idea of someone at Perfect North. An RFID card for Timberline actually serves two purposes. The obvious one is for lift access through RFID gates at the chairlifts. A card also functions as a Gift Card. Credits for discounts accumulate there. That credit can be used for food and beverage, or at the ski shop, or for another lift ticket. Credits carry over to the next season.

When I skied starting after 1pm on a Monday in January, I got $30 in credit. $10 for starting after 1pm, $10 for skiing Mon-Fri, and in the evening after the lifts closed, $10 for skiing less than 4 hours. I applied the credit towards a lift ticket on Tuesday. I have credit from the second day that provides an incentive to go back next season.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We knew Clyde and Chip back then. They were farmers who got the idea of a ski area. I basically learned to ski there. There was a J lift that took you to the top of this little hill where the Audition Terrain Park is now. Clyde wouldn't go to the top of the property because he thought it was a cliff and too dangerous. It took about 5 years before we convinced him it was safe enough. Clyde was offered a chair lift but he told the company to work out the financing, he wasn't going to deal with the bank. Clyde was always looking for deals. All the equipment for the 1st rental shop came from a bankrupt ski area. He bought more snow making equipment from a ski area in Ohio that went out of business. They learned as they went along. I can remember some pretty nasty snow conditions that I haven't seen since.

The Cincinnati Ski Club is big supporter. Some of our friends were on ski patrol or are ski instructors. We skied on Tues. or Thurs. evenings, raced Nastar, took group lessons, etc. got discounts on our season passes.

When the Perfect's bought Timberline, they weren'tthe highest bidder. They offered the highest bidder a profit to get the property.

When he was a kid I probably watched Nick Goepper practicing his jumps in the terrain park.

Lots of memories of that little hill.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When the Perfect's bought Timberline, they weren'tthe highest bidder. They offered the highest bidder a profit to get the property.
The comments from Jonathan Davis, the Perfect North GM, about the Timberline purchase starts at the 1:30 mark in the podcast I linked in Post #152. Jonathan talks about the numbers and the bidding process in Philadelphia. The numbers are public information. Jonathan was the one who had to do the actual negotiation that led to the final deal at the last minute.

What was as important as the purchase was the fact that financing was available for the $10 million that was needed for new lifts and completely renovating and expanding the base lodge. People in the region were very happy to have Timberline as an option to get outdoors during the 2020-21 pandemic season. That was only possible because of all the experience the Perfect family and their team had in slowly growing Perfect North over a few decades.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We just got back from Timberline. Amazing what they have been able to do and with natural snow on the way for this weekend, they should be able to stay open a bit longer. This trip was supposed to be my return to skiing after tearing my ACL last year at Timberline. Unfortunately, I've been having issues with sciatica and my calf muscle in the bad leg, so I've regressed easily 2+ mo in strength and stability, so skiing was a no-go. With the season crappy, it looks like my return to sport will be next year. Hubby said the conditions were good for what they've had to deal with. We enjoyed lunch at the lodge on the 63 degree day, sitting on the patio in the sun. Hubby enjoyed a beer after skiing while waiting for us to come and pick him up after our short visit to Blackwater Falls up the road a bit on Friday when the cold returned. My husband took advantage of the season pass special for next year. I'll need to grab mine and hope all is well with my knee for the next season. We've always skied at Snowshoe but are so impressed with what Timberline has done and with the lodging options and shorter drive, it has now become our go-to the last two years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline is looking to go as long into March as possible. Can't miss the announcement on the website since it pops up immediately. Good snowmaking temps and even some natural snow is forecast for this weekend.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 12.25.54 PM.png

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Received an email from Sugar Bowl (on Donner Pass) today promoting the 105 inches of snow they received this week. I am green with envy. Teen has a music festival on Saturday so we are planning to ski at Timberline on Sunday, maybe also Monday (no school Monday). As a life-long California skier I am thrilled for the Tahoe resorts but just wish we had some of that white stuff ......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna