• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty much the same story in PA. Elk's last day will be March 26. I'm not sure Montage has announced a closing date, but with highs forecasted in the mid to upper 50's, they can't stay open for too long. Jack Frost is also planning to close after the 26th. The 26th is also the last projected date for Sawmill.
Montage blew snow last night and is planning to blow tonight so I am assuming they're trying to make it to April, but who knows. They usually do whatever Elk does.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Montage blew snow last night and is planning to blow tonight so I am assuming they're trying to make it to April, but who knows. They usually do whatever Elk does.
Good to know! I hope they do. I have one more day on Indy, so I'll try to get back before they close

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good to know! I hope they do. I have one more day on Indy, so I'll try to get back before they close
Are you going to get Indy again for 2023-24?

I'm going to get Indy in hopes of getting to a few new locations next season. Probably won't get a Massanutten season pass since between 2 days using Indy and paying senior rates, that makes more sense now that I ski less at Mnut and more elsewhere.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Are you going to get Indy again for 2023-24?

I'm going to get Indy in hopes of getting to a few new locations next season. Probably won't get a Massanutten season pass since between 2 days using Indy and paying senior rates, that makes more sense now that I ski less at Mnut and more elsewhere.
I am! When they announced Jay Peak would return, I signed on right away. Thanks to you, I now have a solid love for these independent ski resorts.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
As of 10am on March 19, it's 22 degrees at Massanutten. High is only supposed to be in the 30s . . . after St. Patrick's Day! Could see them clearing off snow from the lodge deck in the morning so obviously made snow last night. There is side-to-side coverage on lower Southern Comfort. I have a feeling there is also side-to-side coverage on Showtime with all the new big fan guns on Upper Showtime that replaced the old noisy stick guns.
It was cold with the wind! It took me a couple of runs to get used to the icy mid-Atlantic snow again. Showtime was a little chopped up and had some icy patches but side-to-side coverage top to bottom. With my Epic pass, I got 50% off and paid $18 for a 4-hour military slope ticket. Can’t beat that. Two hours annd thirteen runs. Every time I go to Massanutten, I get more impressed with how well it’s run.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@edelweissmaedl : have you checked the weather forecast for WV in the next week? Massanutten is blowing snow tonight because it's so cold and likely to be cold enough for snowmaking the next few nights. Snowshoe may be still in pretty good shape for the next couple weeks.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@edelweissmaedl : have you checked the weather forecast for WV in the next week? Massanutten is blowing snow tonight because it's so cold and likely to be cold enough for snowmaking the next few nights. Snowshoe may be still in pretty good shape for the next couple weeks.
The weather is up and down (per usual this time of year). Think we are going to roll the dice and go for it.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband talked to either a liftie or patroller the weekend before last and they were at least planning to stay open through this coming weekend. We were there yesterday and honestly the base is probably the best it's been all year, which is sad lol, so I could see them maybe making it to that first weekend in April barring any huge warmups/rain events. Definitely planning to go this coming weekend in case it's the last!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline will be open March 25-26 for sure. There is a possibility that Sunday won't be the last day of the season. Here's what pops up on the homepage on March 21.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 10.19.28 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The latest Alterra announcement about new lifts includes confirmation that the Powder Monkey lift at Snowshoe will be replaced with a new quad chairlift.

March 21, 2023
" . . .
At Snowshoe, Alterra affirmed the fixed grip triple Powder Monkey will be replaced with a fixed grip quad this summer . . ."

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty much the same story in PA. Elk's last day will be March 26. I'm not sure Montage has announced a closing date, but with highs forecasted in the mid to upper 50's, they can't stay open for too long. Jack Frost is also planning to close after the 26th. The 26th is also the last projected date for Sawmill.
I see JF is open weekend of 4/1, but closed the week before. BB is closed all together. I dont want to be done skiing for the season!

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
The latest Alterra announcement about new lifts includes confirmation that the Powder Monkey lift at Snowshoe will be replaced with a new quad chairlift.

March 21, 2023
" . . .
At Snowshoe, Alterra affirmed the fixed grip triple Powder Monkey will be replaced with a fixed grip quad this summer . . ."
That’s great news!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Conditions webpage hasn't been updated quite yet this morning, but Massanutten made the decision to re-open for a final weekend, March 25-26. An email was sent out to people on the e-list. Same trails and deals as last weekend, meaning the Creekside quad, Ridge triple the one with a mid-station), and the two shorter magic carpets in Paul's Way (teaching area). Upper and Lower Showtime and Southern Comfortable are the longer trails with snow coverage, probably side-to-side.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
My husband talked to either a liftie or patroller the weekend before last and they were at least planning to stay open through this coming weekend. We were there yesterday and honestly the base is probably the best it's been all year, which is sad lol, so I could see them maybe making it to that first weekend in April barring any huge warmups/rain events. Definitely planning to go this coming weekend in case it's the last!
We never made it to Montage this year...

marzNC

Angel Diva
If anyone is considering a 1-resort season pass in the southeast or Mid-Atlantic, it's a good idea to check what's on sale now. Some of the deadlines for the lowest price are at the end of March.

The deadline for signing up for the Indy Pass Waitlist is today, March 23. People on the Waitlist will be able to buy an Indy Pass March 24-31 before it's available for anyone. Hard to know when the new limit for Indy passes will be reached after April 1.

Indy locations in the region have included:

Ober Mountain, TN (was Ober Gatlinburg)
Cataloochee, NC
Massanutten, VA
Bryce, VA
Winterplace, WV
Canaan Valley, WV
Montage, PA
Blue Knob, PA
Shawnee, PA
Ski Sawmill, PA
Tussey, PA

There is a new refund policy for Indy for 2023-24. In general, quite a few changes after the purchase of Indy by the technology company that's been a partner from the start. Doug Fish is still heavily involved.

New Refund Policy

Any passholder who purchases during our early-bird pricing period (through May 1) will be eligible for the Indy Pass Partner Participation Promise. Pass holders are entitled to a full refund if the resorts they plan to visit are not participating in the program. Refund requests must be submitted by September 1, 2023.

The Indy Pass Assurance

If you are not able to use your pass at all, we will provide you with a 10% credit towards a pass for the 23/24 season. No refunds will be issued for non-use due to any reason.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage is definitely open this weekend, and they're going to try to reopen next weekend, as well, if they can.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Montage is definitely open this weekend, and they're going to try to reopen next weekend, as well, if they can.
I saw that-checked their livecam stream yesterday, didn't see anyone on the slopes but just as i tuned in, saw a group of three deer run across on the summit cam.

If I head out here on out, probably will be catskills or s-vt.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It was way too warm in northern VA yesterday, into the 70s in the afternoon and stayed in the 60s all night before the cold front finally moved in, so it was tough for Massanutten to piece together enough snow to open today, March 25. No more side-to-side coverage for Southern Comfort. This morning they opted to open two chairlifts. The peak is in the clouds as of 11am and it's in the 40s.

Massanutten Conditions, March 25, 2023

The late spring like temps and rain certainly took its toll on the snow but... thanks to our grooming team, we'll be open today as planned. With highs in the mid 60s we'll make the call for tomorrow later today. Come on out and enjoy the snow, ski it while you can!

Creekside Quad, Ridge Triple, and the SunKid Lifts will be open servicing Upper and Lower Showtime, Southern Comfort, and Paul’s Way. The Peak Quad will not be open this final weekend as we have started the removal process for its replacement lift.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna