• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

Lmk92

Angel Diva
How was it today @Lmk92 ?
Actually, it was pretty fabulous. We had such low expectations (warm and rainy on the way there), that we kept commenting on how good conditions were. For obvious reasons, the black diamond side was much better than the green/blue side, so once we found that area, we skied there for the rest of the day. I expected to leave early, but we ended up staying until my nephew's lift ticket wouldn't let him through the last gate, lol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking temps are back in VA/WV. Massanutten turned on a few snowguns a little before 9pm

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 8PM.jpg

A little too warm in eastern PA for snowmaking as of 9pm on Jan. 21
Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 9.00.58 PM.jpg

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I hope those temps dip a bit lower at higher elevations. According to weather bug, based at Montage, most nights (with the exception of Sunday night - the storm night), they're expecting high 20's/low 30's. Fingers crossed for them. So much brown and running water all over that mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowed a little in WV, MD, and NC in the last 24 hours. No natural snow in VA but snowmaking will be happening the next few nights for sure. All the mountains should be recovered from the warm spell by the weekend, Jan. 28-29.

I'll be in Taos next week but will still be looking at Massanutten snow conditions. In particular whether or not Meadow re-opens or if snowmaking starts on Lower Paradice or Upper MakAttack.

marzNC

Angel Diva
People at Whitetail are relieved that there was natural snow today. Got about 4 inches as of Wednesday mid-afternoon.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Ski Shack posted on their Facebook page that they are going to have another demo day, but this time at Elk Mountain on Feb 10th from 11am-3pm. As previously mentioned, there is also the upcoming Carv for Cancer this weekend at Montage where they will again have demos.

I attended their demo day on Jan 29th and their selection (that I can remember lol) included the Head Total and Absolute Joy, BP 82 and 88, Nordica Wild Belle, and Volkl Blaze 86. For men, they had 1 or 2 Enforcers (88 and 94 I believe?), Blizzard Thunderbird Sport Ca, Head V5, Blizzard Brahama 82/88. They announced they are going to have Stockli demos during the Carv for Cancer event but sadly didn't have any on the 29th when I was there. Not sure if Stockli will be at Elk.

They had a lot of short length skis which was great to see for shorties like me although if you're taller their selection was pretty limited when it came to women's specific skis.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Ski Shack posted on their Facebook page that they are going to have another demo day, but this time at Elk Mountain on Feb 10th from 11am-3pm. As previously mentioned, there is also the upcoming Carv for Cancer this weekend at Montage where they will again have demos.

I attended their demo day on Jan 29th and their selection (that I can remember lol) included the Head Total and Absolute Joy, BP 82 and 88, Nordica Wild Belle, and Volkl Blaze 86. For men, they had 1 or 2 Enforcers (88 and 94 I believe?), Blizzard Thunderbird Sport Ca, Head V5, Blizzard Brahama 82/88. They announced they are going to have Stockli demos during the Carv for Cancer event but sadly didn't have any on the 29th when I was there. Not sure if Stockli will be at Elk.

They had a lot of short length skis which was great to see for shorties like me although if you're taller their selection was pretty limited when it came to women's specific skis.
Oh man! And I tried everywhere up near Killington to find the Blaze to demo in a short enough length. I'd still be tempted, but I bought a pair of Faction skis while I was up there.

ETA: also what did you try and thoughts on what you tried?

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man! And I tried everywhere up near Killington to find the Blaze to demo in a short enough length. I'd still be tempted, but I bought a pair of Faction skis while I was up there.

ETA: also what did you try and thoughts on what you tried?
Aw, that sticks that you weren't able to find them up there. :( Even if you're no longer in the market for another ski I still recommend trying them if/when you get a chance!

For my demos:
Black Pearl 82 in a 159 - I now own the 88 and have previously demoed the 97 so wanted to complete the series lol. If you either like or hate the 88 then you'll like or hate the 82 and vice versa. I personally find the BP 97 to be in a separate category from the 88 and 82 as I found it much stiffer and heavier and more of a charger.

Head Absolute Joy (I think a 153?) - These were too short for me. They're not a stiff ski at all but not a complete noodle either. I think these would be a great carver for someone looking to get a first pair of skis that will carry them through being a solid intermediate or for someone really small/lightweight that doesn't want a super stiff or heavy ski.

Head V5 in a 163- These are marketed as a men's beginner carver. Lightweight but decently stable in the longer length. Nothing super exciting about them, but would be a good beginner ski for both men and women. The construction isn't the same as the Absolute Joy but felt similar. If you want something similar within Head's line and prefer the graphics of this one it would be a solid choice.

Blizzard Thunderbird R14 Sport Ca in a 160 - This is the beginner men's ski in the Thunderbird series. I think these had a funky tune, but regardless were the softest skis of the day and even in the longer length I felt like I was overpowering these and I am not an aggressive skier and weigh 135.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The southeast and mid-Atlantic season is going to come to a close pretty quickly after Pres. Day weekend. It's been far too hot and rainy in the last couple weeks for there to be much of a base left except on core trails. Hopefully it will be cold enough the next couple nights for snowmaking in order to make the Pres. Day weekend skiing more fun. Several places suspended operations the last couple days.

Sales for 2023-24 season passes have already started. Some include usage for the rest of the 2022-23 while others do not.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If I lived in the DC/NoVA area, I'd probably be jumping on a Timberline pass for 2023-24. I've had a great time skiing these the last few seasons. It's been worth making the drive when I'm based at Massanutten for a week.

For someone over 60 who can ski midweek, Timberline is well worth the drive. The lowest prices are good until April 1. The Silver Pass is $199 for 60+ and $299 for ages 13-59 and good every Mon-Fri. Bronze is a bit less and good for one day during Mon-Fri each week.

A Timberline pass for next season is not valid for 2022-23 late season skiing.

Combined with an Indy Pass, could make trips that included an overnight stay work out pretty well given that Canaan Valley is on Indy. Along with Bryce and Massanutten. Adding in a trip up to Montage would make it easy to make good use of Indy without going too far from DC.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Gosh, that's so sad. I have so many unused days this year (well, mainly due to my son's illness, but a large chunk of time has been also lost to poor weather conditions).

I skied Sawmill (tiny hill in north central PA, also on Indy) a few days ago, and conditions were stellar. I have 5 more days, due to my Indy and a 4 pack I purchased before the season started, and based on the conditions on the 14th, I'll be able to enjoy those days. I hope!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’ve been to Liberty only twice this season and both times it was major slush. None to Whitetail at all. Twice to M’nut and twice to Timberline. It’s been a very sad season locally. Wish T’line were closer. That had the best condition of the bunch.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If Mother Nature will cooperate a bit, will be more open slopes after a couple nights of snowmaking. Massanutten, Canaan Valley, and Timberline were blowing by late afternoon today.

Cataloochee had temps in the low 20s late this afternoon down in NC. All the fan guns at the base were on.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
We were at Timberline two weeks ago -- the day after temps were down to single digits -- and conditions were quite good but the subsequent two weeks have not been helpful. I rode the lift with someone who had been at Whitetail the previous weekend and said they had only a handful of runs open.

We have friends coming in from the west coast this weekend so will not be skiing. We have skied plenty of President's Day weekends with fresh snow -- the real stuff! -- in the past but that feels like a pipe dream this year. Fingers crossed for next year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
WV may be the only state to have good snow for the last few weeks of the season. Timberline may even get a bit of natural snow this weekend. From what I read on DCSki, Snowshoe is in pretty good shape.

Massanutten has the Snow Moon Fest on March 3-5. I'm sure they'll be open then but may be down to the core trails. The amount of base they've been able to build up on Southern Comfort and Showtime using the new fan guns is impressive. Good thing they managed to cut Ridgecrest in 2022 instead of waiting until 2023. There were never a good period to build a base on Lower Paradice. With Ridgecrest and Mueller's Mile available to lap the Peak lift from the top, there was plenty of fun to be had for adventurous intermediates and advanced skiers even after the heat spell before Pres. Day weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wintergreen is giving up. Closing day will be Sun, Feb. 26.

Massanutten has hopes of getting in a few more hours of snowmaking this weekend. Hope it works out. Getting very thin side-to-side on Southern Comfort. While a couple of snow tubing lanes have enough snow for sliding, Mnut is going to sell 2-ride or 4-ride tickets this afternoon/evening instead of the usual 90-min sessions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Closing day for Whitetail is Feb. 26. An email was sent out to Epic pass holders, probably those with the Northeast Epic.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Closing day for Whitetail is Feb. 26. An email was sent out to Epic pass holders, probably those with the Northeast Epic.
Very sad that our ski season isn't even making it until the end of February in some places :frown:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna