• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

marzNC

Angel Diva
MNut is closed for skiing this weekend.
Hoping to make snow and open a weekend in the near future, they say...
Ah well. Massanutten is going ahead with the Snow Moon Fest activities any way.

Good to know they aren't giving up completely just yet.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Liberty closed today . Kudos to the ops crew who did an amazing job this season in the face of truly crap weather.

sakebu

Diva in Training
Not necessarily about current conditions, but do you all like Bryce? I went back in December and found it delightful! Hope to go in March.

Karenfrances

Certified Ski Diva
Not necessarily about current conditions, but do you all like Bryce? I went back in December and found it delightful! Hope to go in March.
I have skied Bryce a couple of times. Honestly, I find it too small to be worth the drive .... that is, I can drive a little further from DC and be on a (somewhat) bigger mountain with longer runs. I know people who love it, though!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I checked out Bryce during the seasons I had the Indy pass. One time was during early season when they had one lift for skiing and the other for mountain biking on the same weekend. It's very well run. The food in the restaurant is very good.

I did day trips from Massanutten. One time I met up with a friend who drove from DC who also had the Indy Pass. He really enjoyed Bryce. He's an advanced skier working full-time. So the shorter drive for some time on snow has advantages, even if the runs are short. Since the lift lines are also short on weekends, that makes a difference.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten and Timberline started up snowmaking last night. I expect both will have some slopes open by Friday, March 10. Both had suspended operations for a while in early March. Just got too warm and melted too much to stay open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
According to SkiSoutheast . . . and looking at webcams . . . Beech and Sugar in NC have snowmaking going again. Also Snowshoe and Timberline in WV, and Wisp in MD started blowing again. Bryce hopes to re-open but nothing definite yet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is working towards re-opening this weekend but not fully committed yet.

Massanutten Conditions, March 8

Snowmaking resumed last night and we will re-open this weekend if conditions allow. We'll update our status later in the week. The forecast looks promsing for continued snowmaking through next week.

We want to ski some more!

marzNC

Angel Diva
There will still be skiing in VA/WV in mid-March. Snowshoe decided to extend the season until April 2 after getting some natural snow in addition to being able to fire up the snowguns again. The Snowshoe Unlimited Pass (Snowshoe only) is on sale for 2023-24. Timberline will be open until March 18 for sure. They haven't made a decision yet about what happens after that.

Massanutten has been blowing snow the last few cold nights. A few slopes will be open March 17-19.

Massanutten Conditions, March 14, 2023

Snowmaking is in progress and we are on track for our Thursday reopening. The Peak Quad will not be open this weekend. We will begin the removal process for it's replacement lift on Monday.

The ski slopes will reopen Thursday, March 16 - Sunday, March 19 from 9 am - 5 pm! We will have the Creekside Quad, Ridge Triple and Sunkid Lifts open servicing Upper and Lower Showtime, Southern Comfort, and Paul's Way.

Late season rates and College Specials will be offered. As a bonus, Massanutten Season pass holders will be offered a FREE buddy slope-use ticket to bring a friend. Show your Massanutten Season Pass at the ticket window to receive your free slope-use ticket each day. Rental equipment is not included.

Additionally, Season Pass holders from any resort will receive a 50% discount for slope-use tickets.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Saw some pictures of Snowshoe on DCSki. Looks amazing! No wonder they are going to stay open until April 2. Snowshoe as Snowshoe-only options for people who don't intend to do a trip out west using Ikon. The Snowshoe Unlimited for 2023-24 includes access in spring skiing at the end of the 2022-23 season.

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 3.02.38 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten has re-opened for a long weekend, March 16-19. If Mother Nature cooperates, the basic slopes on the lower mountain will be open again for one more weekend.

Upper Showtime is the only more interesting trail for advanced skiers since the work to replace the Peak quad with a new detachable quad is already starting. Last spring the work to build the new trails started before the slopes closed since the area involved was well away from Diamond Jim and the Peak unloading area. I would guess that getting the new lift ready in time for some time for mountain biking and then scenic rides during the fall colors is of interest.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.20.06 AM.png

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
D76EE36B-4D35-44B7-9450-A71920C7D756.jpeg
I won’t be able to make it but sounds fun! Love that they’re doing a bump clinic. If anyone happens to end up doing it I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I won’t be able to make it but sounds fun! Love that they’re doing a bump clinic. If anyone happens to end up doing it I would love to hear your thoughts on it!
As I remember from the day I did a 1-day Women's Clinic at Elk a while back, the bumps on the side of the trail under one of the lifts were quite enough for learning how to ski bumps better. I was in the advanced group with three other women. The others weren't interested so the instructor (Level 3) took me on a last run on the bumps to provide at least a tip or two. That happened several years before I went to Taos for the first time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There will be skiing in northern VA for the next week for sure. Massanutten re-opened today and will stay open thru Sunday, March 19. Might run the lifts again for a last weekend, March 26-26. Bryce is re-opening this weekend and plans on staying open thru March 26. Both are on the Indy Pass.

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 4.14.49 PM.jpg

Lmk92

Angel Diva
As I remember from the day I did a 1-day Women's Clinic at Elk a while back, the bumps on the side of the trail under one of the lifts were quite enough for learning how to ski bumps better. I was in the advanced group with three other women. The others weren't interested so the instructor (Level 3) took me on a last run on the bumps to provide at least a tip or two. That happened several years before I went to Taos for the first time.
My daughter and I attended a women's clinic at Elk a few years ago. It was a snowy day, and for two instructors, we were the only two in attendance! One instructor took Liv down the moguls, but I didn't go. I probably should have, because to this day, I still hate them. I just skied with my son and his friend, and I told them, I'll ski any run, as long as it's not moguls.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As of 10am on March 19, it's 22 degrees at Massanutten. High is only supposed to be in the 30s . . . after St. Patrick's Day! Could see them clearing off snow from the lodge deck in the morning so obviously made snow last night. There is side-to-side coverage on lower Southern Comfort. I have a feeling there is also side-to-side coverage on Showtime with all the new big fan guns on Upper Showtime that replaced the old noisy stick guns.

Bryce has decided to call it a season as of today. They had a brand new Hi-Def webcam showing how thin the coverage is near the base. With rain coming soon, pushing on didn't make sense.

That will leave Timberline and Snowshoe as the only open slopes after March 19. Timberline's Closing Day is March 26, with no night skiing after this weekend. Snowshoe is planning on keeping some slopes open until April 2.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Pretty much the same story in PA. Elk's last day will be March 26. I'm not sure Montage has announced a closing date, but with highs forecasted in the mid to upper 50's, they can't stay open for too long. Jack Frost is also planning to close after the 26th. The 26th is also the last projected date for Sawmill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly