• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/Southeast skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC, TN) for 2022-23

marzNC

Angel Diva
Despite the rain, Montage is open today and still very hopeful to make it to next weekend.
Since you mentioned White Lightning to @Jenny and @shadoj , here are some pics from our early season meetup a while back. Skied it for the first time with @Olesya Chornoguz last season when it was groomed. Would've been happier with some bumps! When it comes to slick conditions in the east, I'm happier on blues.

Hard to really understand Montage without skiing it since the advanced terrain isn't visible from afar because it's below the base lodge, which is at mid-mountain along with the parking lots. Easier to reach than Elk because it's right off the Interstate highway. Glad it joined the Indy Pass.

White Lightning with snow whales, December 2017
Montage 16Dec2017 - 2.jpg

After winch groomer spread out the snow
Montage White Lightning grooming Dec2017 - 1.jpeg

Montage base, February 2022
Montage Feb2022 - 1.jpeg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Montage is a bit of an upside down mountain. All the steeps are on the bottom, and all the greens/blues on top. It also doesn't quite ski every bit of it's 1k feet unless Runaway and Fast Track are open top to bottom (Runaway didn't even open this year due to low coverage/bad weather). They're the only two continuous trails that run top to bottom. Otherwise the mountain is kind of cut in half between the top half (easier terrain) and lower, more difficult half (they call it the Northface).

1679769073071.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten decided to run the lifts on Sunday, March 26 with whatever snow is left. They put in a few park features right at the base for people willing to hike up for short runs. That will be Closing Day for the 2022-23 season for sure.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wait, montage is only 2.5 hrs from me, I didnt realize it was so close to my home home. Its about as far to get to montage as it is it my house in poconos. Do we have regulars who ski there?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wait, montage is only 2.5 hrs from me, I didnt realize it was so close to my home home. Its about as far to get to montage as it is it my house in poconos. Do we have regulars who ski there?
My husband and I and @Olesya Chornoguz ski there. Sometimes vanhoskier joins us too. I think a few other people here occasionally go to montage also.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you ever ski mid week?
We all work so only ski weekends. Usually Sundays. It’s pretty thin here in places today. I’ll be surprised if they’re open next weekend.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
weekend crowds usually bad?
Montage is positively chill on weekends compared to other mountains. They did get some lift lines during the pandemic years but this year was back to very short lift lines, if any. We spend most of our time down lapping the Phoebe lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you! I wonder how being on Indy will influence that.
Montage has been on Indy for a couple seasons. I stopped by on an early season weekend before Indy and using Indy on a non-holiday Saturday in Feb 2022. Not really an exact comparison but didn't feel much different.

In general, other than helping some people discover small mountains in the Mid-Atlantic or the northeast for the first time, I don't get the sense that joining Indy changes that much. Certainly didn't change the overall scene at my home mountain, Massanutten. The Indy Pass only provides 2 days and often that means a pass holder or a family with Indy passes will go for a day trip or one weekend. Have to pay an extra $100 to get Indy+ that includes holidays that are blacked out for the basic Indy pass.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's a picture of Montage that includes the main parking lot at 9:30am on a Saturday in late Feb 2022. The snow tubing area was full and I think tickets were sold out for most tubing sessions. As I remember, there were no lift line waits longer than a few minutes until we left at lunch time. It's one of the few places in the Mid-Atlantic that I'm willing to stop by on weekends if there is a Diva interested in meeting up.

Montage view at 9:30am, Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022
Montage parking Feb2022 - 1.jpeg

That morning was the end of a ski safari I did over 10 days that was a mix of Indy locations (Catamount, Berkshire East, West Mountain), Windham (Ikon), and a powder day at Plattekill. I drove home from Montage later that day.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @tinymoose mentioned Montage is not crowded on weekends that's why we make the drive all the way to Scranton, it's worth it. Come join us sometime.

Is Billy your bootfitter? I think he mentioned he bootfitted you at some point on one of my bootfitting visits. His bootfitting has changed my skiing. I am tall and heavy, needed stiff, upright men's boots with tall cuff as it turns out. Billy was the only bootfitter that has put in the right boots finally, and yes they were men's boots. It took some minor tweaking to make them work perfectly for my narrow feet, but I love my boots now.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@tinymoose I may have to take you up on the offer, haha! I'll have to see how far a drive it is for @ballen's brother. Airport recommendation? I have the Indy base pass; might as well use it :smile:

I wonder what ski patrol does for transport on the lower half blacks, though! How do the bodies go back uphill? By snowmobile?

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a picture of Montage that includes the main parking lot at 9:30am on a Saturday in late Feb 2022. The snow tubing area was full and I think tickets were sold out for most tubing sessions. As I remember, there were no lift line waits longer than a few minutes until we left at lunch time. It's one of the few places in the Mid-Atlantic that I'm willing to stop by on weekends if there is a Diva interested in meeting up.

Montage view at 9:30am, Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022
View attachment 20901

That morning was the end of a ski safari I did over 10 days that was a mix of Indy locations (Catamount, Berkshire East, West Mountain), Windham (Ikon), and a powder day at Plattekill. I drove home from Montage later that day.
WOw!! How have I never done this!? I have to figure out this Indy pass. Im Def getting an epic, but might do Montage/indy also.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @tinymoose mentioned Montage is not crowded on weekends that's why we make the drive all the way to Scranton, it's worth it. Come join us sometime.

Is Billy your bootfitter? I think he mentioned he bootfitted you at some point on one of my bootfitting visits. His bootfitting has changed my skiing. I am tall and heavy, needed stiff, upright men's boots with tall cuff as it turns out. Billy was the only bootfitter that has put in the right boots finally, and yes they were men's boots. It took some minor tweaking to make them work perfectly for my narrow feet, but I love my boots now.
YEs! I love Billy. Such a great guy! He adjusted my last boots and I messaged him recently to say might need to stop in.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I wonder how on earth that connection came up..hahaha, great stuff. small world.

shadoj

Angel Diva
YEs! I love Billy. Such a great guy! He adjusted my last boots and I messaged him recently to say might need to stop in.
I might need to schedule a non-ski day to visit him! Only so many options here, and I *will* need a new pair in the next year or two given how much time I've been spending in my boots lately + small size supply woes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly