• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just got back from Wintergreen today! Heading to Snowshoe soon with my 7-year old daughter. Can anyone tell me what trails are the best for skiing with kids? She can ski all the greens at Wintergreen well. Thanks!
If the main greens from the village are crowded, take the bus to Silver Creek. The runs there are shorter but always less crowded. I used to take my daughter over there for lunch in the Silver Creek cafeteria, which was much less crowded than any place in the village.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The snow at Massanutten yesterday afternoon was great. Sugar or corn depending. Even at night, it was setting up on Paradice but the little bumps that had formed with quite fun under the lights after dinner. Temps were in the high 30s or low 40s on the mountain all day.

Per usual, the lift lines at the base went away by 3:30. A little slower on Lift 2 for Geronimo only because there were Adaptive skiers in sit-skis using that lift. Maybe 5 min wait on Lift 5 and no wait on Lift 6 as always. Met up with a family on a day trip with a couple kids who have tried having a pass for Wintergreen but have figured out that they get far more skiing with a Special Value Pass ($235, Sun-Fri, all nights, any time during early and late season) at Massanutten because a Wintergreen pass for non-owners is blacked out all Saturdays and Sunday mornings.

Should be good today without much of a crowd at all.

KristinB

Certified Ski Diva
If the main greens from the village are crowded, take the bus to Silver Creek. The runs there are shorter but always less crowded. I used to take my daughter over there for lunch in the Silver Creek cafeteria, which was much less crowded than any place in the village.

Great tip! Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another stellar day at Massanutten with spring conditions. The cloud cover meant temps stayed in the 40s. Snow was soft but never got slushy off Lift 6. Even Lower Showtime was still pretty decent except for the very bottom. A few brown spots and a bit icy in the middle of Diamond Jim. Paradice has soft bumps all over. It was groomed but lightly so that it has a lot of contours. No lift lines on any lift all day long.

We opted have a big breakfast at the ski lodge, then skied pretty much until 3:30. Went off resort to Ciro's Italian for an early dinner, then skied under the lights 6:00-8:30. There was a little cloud sitting on the summit but didn't really cause me and my friend's son any problems. Monday Night Madness meant a few more people who came out for the $20 night ticket, which starts at 4:00. Most of them were leaving by 6:30.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from Wintergreen today! Heading to Snowshoe soon with my 7-year old daughter. Can anyone tell me what trails are the best for skiing with kids? She can ski all the greens at Wintergreen well. Thanks!

Go over to Silver Creek. The trails are wider and the snow is better and its dead there until night skiing.

If you want to stay on the main mountain, then the greens off Powder Ridge are your best bet. The rest on the main mountain are narrow and crowded.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Went to Seven Springs today. Didn't even ski. POURED all morning. But I did get to join an industry focus group for women and listen all about boots from hardline managers/industry insiders, and learned a bunch. Got a custom bootfitting and might finally be able to draw up a treaty between my skis and my feet. Back to the original note, Pray for snow, or we are in trouble soon.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went to Seven Springs today. Didn't even ski. POURED all morning. But I did get to join an industry focus group for women and listen all about boots from hardline managers/industry insiders, and learned a bunch. Got a custom bootfitting and might finally be able to draw up a treaty between my skis and my feet. Back to the original note, Pray for snow, or we are in trouble soon.

Whitetail (in PA on the MD border) is my home mountain and it's rained so much and been so warm I'm afraid to go.

Last edited:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Sometimes Whitetail can be nice skiing when there is a light rain. I worked last Thursday night and was dreading it on the way up since the high had been in the low 60's. But it had been cloudy all day with a light rain and the snow was oddly firm on top, but carvable and fast. So I skied all night with just a light jacket and no goggles - and no heavy wet mush or piles of sugar snow. Not many people there either! It was actually one of my better night shifts with regards to skiing conditions.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes Whitetail can be nice skiing when there is a light rain. I worked last Thursday night and was dreading it on the way up since the high had been in the low 60's. But it had been cloudy all day with a light rain and the snow was oddly firm on top, but carvable and fast. So I skied all night with just a light jacket and no goggles - and no heavy wet mush or piles of sugar snow. Not many people there either! It was actually one of my better night shifts with regards to skiing conditions.
Oh great, it's the heavy mush I hate. The rain itself doesn't much bother me but heavy mush kills my knees.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quick question for any Divas familiar with Jack Frost in the Poconos:

If I'm an advancing intermediate comfortable skiing Thunderbolt with good form and control and looking to explore other black diamond trails, can you recommend the next one or two in terms of difficulty? Is there anything I should stay away from due to extreme steepness or moguls (or both)?

Those East mountain expert trails are a bit of a mystery to me. Thanks for any help.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I don't go to Jack Frost often anymore, but I think those trails are all pretty similar. There's one that I always hesitate at the top, but once I'm on it realize it's not as bad as it seems at the top. If you're comfortable on Thunderbolt, you'll be fine on any other trail.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The January 2017 thaw is over in the Mid-Atlantic! At least a few inches of snow predicted for WV and Wisp soon.

Massanutten snow guns are on for the lower mountain as of 9am on 1/27. Might even get some natural snow this week. Definitely plenty of snowmaking opportunities between snow and Pres. Day weekend.

The base depths on Geronimo and Southern Comfort for a thin strip was enough to stay open except for one day, which was early in the week when very few people get out on the slopes any way. For those of us who ski Mnut regularly, can really tell the difference the snowmaking power added in recent years can make.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Sugar Mountain, NC has been making snow since yesterday morning and there is some real snow mixed in. There are now four lifts open.
Cataloochee in Maggie Valley, NC has reopened today though only four slopes serviced by the triple and quad lifts.

I am continuing my vigorous snow dance!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline apparently has a 1-day women's clinic. Anyone ever heard about it? It will be on Feb. 25. Click on Reserve Your Lesson on the Timberline Ski School webpage to see the details online and sign up.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 6.21.06 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna