• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We did a last-minute day trip to Wisp in MD this past Sunday. It was actual powder skiing. In Maryland!! I'm still pinching myself.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
reports say he was found by ski patrol, and was not on the regular slopes, he was off piste. This breaks my heart. Prayers to his family.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Roundtop Demo day - Feb. 12th (Sunday)

Called Roundtop, this is what the shop sales told me for the vendors:

1) Bizzard (think he meant: Blizzard)

2) Elan

3) Rossi

4) K2

5) Atomic

6) Dolaman (Salomon?)

7) Vokl (it's a maybe)

8) snowboarder stuff.

No discount on lift ticket price.

He said the models for demo are 2017/18... Is that how demo works? for next season models because they are already out?

But they are concerned about rain this Sunday. The sales suggested me to check website / weather before going.

I plan to be there.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Skied SUGAR MOUNTAIN, NC today which made for my best NC ski day of the season. They received 3 inches of fresh powder last night in addition to constant snowmaking. Skiing from the top was soooo much better. Surprisingly, Sugar Slalom was open for once and in great condition although this is not reflected on their site. One side of Oma's Meadow (former Big Red) is also open and great fun except for some ice approaching the lift.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@alison wong Thanks for the info. Rain forecast doesn't look good. :( I hope they'll do it another weekend. And I sure hope temps get colder so they can make more snow in our D.C. area ski hills.

@marzNC I'm tempted on the Timberline Women's Clinic but nervous about their coverage with some thaws and high temp days/nights forecasted. They only have about 70% of their trails open as it is. Apparently Canaan has done a much better job of building their base this year. We have passes at Timberline so it's a bummer. I heard they finally opened Salamander about a week or two ago. I hope they can get more snow on their trails or else it'll be a really short season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly for this season, although would be good in March for someone willing to make the drive to Snowshoe. Snowshoe has added benefits to the Ridiculous Pass for 2017-18. Lowest price of $229 for Feb. 21-28 only for an Unlimited Season Pass for an adult.

Got kids? For every adult Pass, can get a pass for a kid 12 and under for free! The "Regional Resort Swap" includes Wisp, Hidden Valley, 7Springs and Laurel Mountain. Presumably the same deal as this season.

Resort Swap for 2016-17

Through the Resort Swap partnership, Snowshoe Unlimited Season Pass holders are provided one free full day lift ticket at other participating resorts and 50% off any additional lift tickets at those resorts. Just present your 2016.2017 Snowshoe season pass at the ticket window of any participating resort, and they’ll hook you up with your ticket to any of these awesome mountains:

Seven Springs (PA)
Wisp Resort (MD)
Hidden Valley (PA)
Laurel Mountain (PA)

**Resort swap may not be redeemed on Saturdays or during holiday periods (Dec 28, 2016- Jan 1, 2017; Jan 13 - 16, 2017; Feb 17 - 20, 2017).

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish Snowshoe was closer for us. 5 hours vs. 3.5 for Canaan Valley. Seems like a great deal for those who can get there easily.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good thing that Massanutten could make snow at night last week before the holiday weekend. Didn't ski at Mnut until Sat evening. I have the Special Value Pass this season, which includes all night sessions but not before 4pm on Sat.

The open trails are clearly deep enough to make it through the holiday weekend. Pretty much side to side coverage on Upper Showtime, Paradice, and DJ. Difference from MLK weekend is that it's all groomed flat. Not enough extra snow for any snow whale contours or bumps. Relatively good spring conditions though. By the evening, nothing was sticky. In fact, the folks who were enjoying Southern Comfort were the novice skiers who like to go a little fast. Geronimo is narrow but should be fine on Sunday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The list of open ski areas in the southeast and Mid-Atlantic is shrinking rapidly. Wisp and Liberty are done. Massanutten and Wintergreen will be open through March 5 but hard to say about anything after that.

Massanutten closed for March 1 and March 2. They reduced the rates to late season rates as of 26Feb. I'm sure they plan to make snow when temps go down on Thu night. Sunday, March 5 is Scout Day with a $55 package for lift ticket, rental, and lesson. Night sessions ended soon after Pres. Day.

Wintergreen opened on March 1 for the morning only. Expected to have to shut down when the thunderstorms start rolling through. Planning "limited snowmaking" later this week. Done with tubing for the season. No night sessions.

Temps in the 20s predicted in northern VA for Thu, Fri, and Sat nights. With the possibility of a little snow as the front pushes through!

Snowshoe and was open on March 1 but shut down the lifts when the thunderstorms rolled in. Snowshoe made a little snow in the last couple days. Will probably be the last to close if the weather cooperates.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Montage is closed for a very unusual reason. There was a tornado! Took out several power poles, ripped up water lines when trees went down, just a big mess. Luckily no injuries. The people on the slopes just before the high winds hit were evacuated in time. They are hoping to re-open by Fri, March 3.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm new to the site but ski regularly at Wintergreen and usually at least one weekend a year at Canaan and Timberline. Hope to catch some divas next season.

Welcome to our world! I lived in Richmond for many years and still miss it there. What part of the area are you in? Hope to see you next season!

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any DMV-area Divas thinking of going to one of the local places that are still open this weekend?

Mr. Va Deb wants to go to Snowshoe but that's too much driving for a day trip IMO. We have Timberline passes but I think they only have Salamander and White Lightning open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten will be open this weekend but only the basics in terms of open trails. Re-opened today so can check the website for which trails are open. Check the webcams on Sat morning. Given how much snow they can put out quickly, could be pretty good by Sunday. They won't hold back because that's Heroes on the Hill Day for all active duty and retired military families. There are a lot of military families who were original owners for Mountainside, the first timeshare group at Massanutten built in the 1970s.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna