• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome to the neighborhood, @kkMoney ! My daughter and I much preferred Silver Creek in the afternoons when things were crowded on the main lifts.

Main reason I don't go to Snowshoe much is the drive.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's really cold in VA! Massanutten will have lots of snowmaking hours before the demo weekend, Jan. 7-8. I'll be there Sat for sure.

Started snowing in Hagerstown near Whitetail around 8:30 this evening. Looks like it's about done. That's good because I really don't like driving my NC minivan in the snow.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Our youngest 2 both had motion sickness in the car on the way up and the way back. . .

brings back memories. We pulled over to let our daughter out to relieve her sickness and our friends pulled in behind us and their daughter jumped out and chucked her lunch too. I hear it happens a LOT.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
SNOW ALERT!!!!! I'm currently located in a log cabin on an unplowed mountain road in North Carolina between Boone, Banner Elk & Blowing Rock looking out at 6-8 inches of fresh powder and can't get to the slopes! I skied Appalachian yesterday, but when I tried to get to my friend's new cabin afterward. I hit a sheet of ice between her two driveways and ended up horizontal blocking the entire road. It's the first time in 48 years of driving that I couldn't get unstuck. Fortunately AAA got my car out easily. My understanding is that the residents of this road will have to find a pay someone to plow it, an infrequent occurrence around here.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hard to say how the MLK weekend will be weatherwise in VA. But they have certainly been taking full advantage of the cold weather the last few days to blow snow. I wouldn't mind a little "spring skiing" over the weekend. Not really interested in skiing in temps <25 on short slopes.

Massanutten is blowing on Paradice. :smile:

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @marzNC. Oh well. I'm not a huge Wintergeen fan, especially when it's crowded. Hope to catch them at MNUT next year. It was way too cold for my taste this weekend. Hope you update on your demo experiences at WT and MNUT in Gear Review. Looks like I'll be living demos vicariously through you and other divas this season.

Unless, @Lellandra, the stars align and I can make it up for the Roundtop demo. Thanks for the heads up and for getting the scoop!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just thought I'd mention this for those who may be interested in demoing skis:

Blue Mountain in Pa has the Head Joy series as well as three different Super Shapes available for demo.
Camelback has some Atomics, including the Vantage 90, and they also have the Volkl Kenja.

Both places have more skis that I listed above, but that's what I remember right now.

I don't know what they charge or what sizes are available. I remember from last year that CBK lets you switch skis twice, for a total of three demos.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Lellandra ! Blue is absolutely mobbed on weekends. I think it has the best terrain in the area, but so does everyone else. And the snow can be hit or miss-- really bad if the weather's been rough: think granulated sugar over hockey-rink ice. I have a season pass and generally go up on weeknights, because it's just a 35 min. drive for me and the crowds are tolerable. I had a great time there last spring, too: most people had given up on skiing by late February, but the snow was actually pretty decent and there were no lift lines. I was spoiled! I really like Blue's trails, and the summit restaurant/bar and facilities are very nice. Big crowds of dive-bombing teenagers scare the bejeebus out of me, though, so I stay away from peak periods.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @Lellandra ! Blue is absolutely mobbed on weekends. I think it has the best terrain in the area, but so does everyone else. And the snow can be hit or miss-- really bad if the weather's been rough: think granulated sugar over hockey-rink ice. I have a season pass and generally go up on weeknights, because it's just a 35 min. drive for me and the crowds are tolerable. I had a great time there last spring, too: most people had given up on skiing by late February, but the snow was actually pretty decent and there were no lift lines. I was spoiled! I really like Blue's trails, and the summit restaurant/bar and facilities are very nice. Big crowds of dive-bombing teenagers scare the bejeebus out of me, though, so I stay away from peak periods.

It sounds great! I think it would be four hours for me. I'm going to start venturing out next season and that sounds like a good place to start. They have no rental demos at Roundtop and I wanted to try some different skis. I think I can do that at Snowshoe but that's also 3 and a half hours out.

Bombing teenagers are awful! They scare me too! I hear them coming down and I tense right up. Last instructor recommended earphones.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We just got back from Snowshoe on Monday (1/2) and I think we had probably the best 4 days of the season while we were there. (all of the lifts at Snowshoe were open while we were there, tho Ball Hooter had a mechanical issue one afternoon- but we avoided that anyway due to the lines) It was warm when we left Route 81 up the mountains on 12/28, but that night it started snowing and dropped to 14. Then snowed pretty much on and off until Sunday the 1st. They did a great job blowing the diamonds that didn't have enough while it was snowing, so the mix was pretty good. There was ice the first day we skied, but the snow did a pretty decent job of covering it up over the next few days. I only skied one day on the Western Territories and it was icy and there were too many people that shouldn't be on the diamonds on them. My husband is a Boarder, so he is done in about 2 minutes and I like to actually turn so between stopping to help tweens who have no idea how to get the ski they lost or my own boys who hit a patch of ice, the one open run wasn't worth it for me.

We were staying off the Soaring Eagle Express (ski in/out), so the green there was open and Camp 99 black was actually like skiing a different slope each day with the snowing, the grooming and the blowing- and Boarders making it even more bumpy. everyone in our group did great (we had 8 children ages 3-11) and only my 3 1/2 year old was not skiing when we left- he would be happy to have me ride him down the mountain between my legs (even after 3 days of ski school), but that got old after 2 runs. My friend's husband took him down twice, but he wasn't even trying to stand up;)

I think the resort is still working out kinks of lines, new attendants, etc. but if you skied Western or Soaring Eagle, there were virtually no lines. We also skied one night at Silver Creek (approx. 5 min shuttle) and it was pretty great taking the kids- they didn't want to go back to the townhome! It's all greens and blues and all but one lift was open. My newly minted 5 year old skier did well on almost all of the runs.

Aside from getting to/from the mountain, it was a great trip. Our youngest 2 both had motion sickness in the car on the way up and the way back. . .

We were there at the same time. The conditions were great on Friday and Saturday!

We have a routine for peak season-get up at rope drop, bomb down to Ballhooter and circle there until the lines get long. Head up to SE or over to PR, circle there until bored. We often go over to SC after lunch when its dead quiet, and when my husband was learning we often spent the day there because the greens are wider and the trails are quieter. The couple of blacks over there are some of my favorite runs.

I will ski Western early in the day, but I really dont get the hype. Lots of bad skiiers and boarders, and just not worth getting taken out by someone out of control. This was my husbands second season skiing and he wanted to try it (HUGE victory dance when he asked that-when he started he told me if he got comfortable on a blue he would be happy). He did Cupp several times and had blast. It was icy in spots but you could ski around it. I was SO proud of him for that. I think our trip out west was a turning point for him.

We skied Monday and I loved those conditions early on. Soft spring snow is super fast and fun to ski IMO.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Anyone doing womens camp at Snowshoe this year? Its our third time and we keep recruiting more girls!

I wish I could! I signed my daughter for a ski camp and it's every Saturday this month. I would be on top of my list if I didn't have this scheduled already.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks, @marzNC. Oh well. I'm not a huge Wintergeen fan, especially when it's crowded. Hope to catch them at MNUT next year. It was way too cold for my taste this weekend. Hope you update on your demo experiences at WT and MNUT in Gear Review. Looks like I'll be living demos vicariously through you and other divas this season.

Unless, @Lellandra, the stars align and I can make it up for the Roundtop demo. Thanks for the heads up and for getting the scoop!

It's on the 12th!

KristinB

Certified Ski Diva
Just got back from Wintergreen today! Heading to Snowshoe soon with my 7-year old daughter. Can anyone tell me what trails are the best for skiing with kids? She can ski all the greens at Wintergreen well. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly