• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic/SE skiing (PA, NJ, DC, MD, VA, WV, NC) for 2016-17

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sugar Mountain, NC is expecting 12 inches of the real stuff over the next three days! :dance:
Wow! That's a lot at one time for the NC mountains. Too bad almost everyone has decided the season is over in the southeast.

Massanutten missed out on any snow today but the snow guns are on full blast tonight.

RVAskis

Diva in Training
Wintergreen has announced that they will remain open daily from 9-5 through 3/19 with natural snow expected this week

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
From Cataloochee, NC:

jpeg

What a Difference a Night Makes

With last night's snowmaking push, we are open today from the top of the mountain on Upper Omigosh and a total of 7 slopes. We have 3 aerial lifts and 1 conveyor lift operating and our base today is 16-30" with a groomed surface. We have some natural snow in the forecast, too!

Three sessions of skiing are available today: Day skiing from 8:30am-4:30pm, twilight skiing from 1pm until 10pm and night skiing from 6pm until 10pm. We also offer a morning or afternoon half day rate..

Please note that tonight will be our last night of night skiing for the season. Tomorrow we begin day skiing only through our planned closing date of March 26. Also, all season passes are valid everyday, including weekends, for the rest of the season!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Wolf Ridge, NC

Friday, March 10. 2017
CLOSED: For The Season
The Wolf Will be Closed Today and for the Season. Unfortunately we just discovered last night that our Quad Lift ( the main lift for the slopes ) was damaged by the electrical storm we had on Thursday morning. Though we were so excited about getting open tomorrow, just in time for the 5 days of snow being forecast for our area, the lift damage is too extensive for us to get repaired before next weekend. Therefore we have made the decision to go ahead and close the slopes for the season. Thank you again for your support and making the Wolf the Great slopes they are!!!

SAD with the snow just coming in!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Seven Springs and Hidden Valley are still making snow. Hubby and son are there today and said conditions are actually pretty decent. I'm impressed. Hopefully the 12" hits as planned and I'll be skiing this weekend.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I'll have Tuesday off school when this big storm comes, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to Blue Mountain that day and enjoy the fresh snow. I've never experienced an east coast "powder" day, and have rarely skied on fresh snow.

I could get a hotel room near the mountain Monday night so I wouldn't have to drive far (and the drive wouldn't have any hills).

What I'm wondering is: what's the snow like? Is it really as awesome as everyone raves about? Will I be missing something special if I stay home Tuesday and just go after work Wednesday?

Thanks for any advice!

Jen

Certified Ski Diva
I'm crossing my fingers that the storm is bad enough that we have off Wednesday as well! (My district is prone to power outages). I would be worried about driving on Tuesday, even just down the road. I did a day trip to Blue on a day it snowed 5" and found the roads around the mountain to be in bad shape. If we get over a foot it's going to take them some time to clear all the roads. If you're really eager to ski on fresh powder you could drive up to Camelback and stay at their hotel on the mountain. I've never skied on fresh powder like this so I can't answer what it's like!

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I'll have Tuesday off school when this big storm comes, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to Blue Mountain that day and enjoy the fresh snow. I've never experienced an east coast "powder" day, and have rarely skied on fresh snow.

I could get a hotel room near the mountain Monday night so I wouldn't have to drive far (and the drive wouldn't have any hills).

What I'm wondering is: what's the snow like? Is it really as awesome as everyone raves about? Will I be missing something special if I stay home Tuesday and just go after work Wednesday?

Thanks for any advice!

@SallyCat I heard that the snow is going to be good for snowman making since it'll be the wet kind according to the weather person here in VA. In this case, you won't really be skiing "pow". Wet snow will be dense and heavy, not like fluffy (aka pow/powder) snow. While I think skiing in general is more fun than not skiing, wet snow isn't as much fun as skiing the real powder. So even though initially I had the same thought as you about getting trapped on a mountain when I heard about all that snow coming our way, but when I heard that the snow is going to be a wet one (rather than dry, fluffy kind) I no longer really wanted to be trapped on the mountain (disclaimer: I'm flying out to SLC Wednesday to ski and I've had pow days out west already this season). So IMHO I don't think you will miss out much by staying home if it's wet snow, but I do understand how you feel about missing out because I feel that every time there's a blizzard or snow storm coming into our area. Maybe you just need to do it once to get it out of your system. :smile:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm crossing my fingers that the storm is bad enough that we have off Wednesday as well!
Oh, me TOO! We have a very late spring break this year (April 10) and have only had one snow day so far. Our whole campus is sick, exhausted, and cranky. A two-day snow break would do absolute wonders for morale.

Great idea about Camelback! Alas, the lodge is booked (and expensive).

@snow cat Thanks for that. I still haven't decided what to do, but I won't feel so bad staying at home.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Although, the dirtbag in me is tempted to camp out in the lot. I've done plenty of winter camping, but not for skiing. I guess there are worse ways to manifest a midlife crisis than acting like a 20-year-old ski bum!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Well, Wisp is planning to reopen, so maybe the farther north you go, the better the conditions? I'm definitely going to Elk on Thursday. :smile:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I don't think anyone will want to be on the roads on Tuesday...blizzard warning from this evening till 6pm on Tuesday. PA may declare a state of emergency. And it's not worth risking life and limb.

My school is closed tomorrow, and I'm thinking my school will also be closed on Wednesday due to the blowing and drifting snow that is forecast. In that case, I'll try to get up to ski somewhere, but the roads around here will be very bad. The snow drifts on my road regularly get to about 10-12 feet high.

I agree, skiing in heavier snow is not as fun...it can be work. I once had a powder night at Bear Creek,, a small area near here...I drove over there in the evening in the midst of a storm. Fluffy, dry snow...it was heavenly. Driving home was an adventure. But that storm didn't have the intensity of this one.

@SallyCat , everyone in my school is also sick. SO many cases of pneumonia and bronchitis this year! We need a few days away from that building, and each other!!

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I have skied in these exact conditions before and it is totally not worth it. Got dumped on, 36" of heavy wet snow back in 2009. The wind/blizzard conditions made it impossible to ski in, it was so heavy to "push" through the piles of wet snow that formed VERY quickly despite few skiers. If it's snowman snow and you don't have wider boards to leverage a push through it and that can float over the really heavy chop or if you don't have REALLY strong legs, my advice is definitely no. Wait for the groomers in the am.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga