• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2013-14

marzNC

Angel Diva
It can get crowded from what DH has said, but not nearly as much as say Blue or Camelback. It hasn't been crazy crowded on the slopes the times we've been there on a Sunday AM. The lodge has been crowded, oddly enough, but not the slopes. lol
Since it's a holiday weekend, I wonder if that will change anything. In Utah, Sunday mornings are usually relatively empty . . . unless it's a powder day.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since it's a holiday weekend, I wonder if that will change anything. In Utah, Sunday mornings are usually relatively empty . . . unless it's a powder day.
As about Whitetail lift lines - here is a picture taken on Saturday around 11 am two weeks ago, the weekend after it snowed. This weekend lines might be even longer. I'll probably head to Roundtop on Saturday, it never gets crowded there even though slopes are shorter than at Whitetail and no high speed lifts.

Whitetail in Jan.JPG

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
here is a picture taken on Saturday
Wow! Makes me want to rethink, too. :-) Which lift is that? I'm going to cross my fingers that Sunday morning will not be that crowded, even on a holiday weekend. One can always hope.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As about Whitetail lift lines - here is a picture taken on Saturday around 11 am two weeks ago, the weekend after it snowed. This weekend lines might be even longer. I'll probably head to Roundtop on Saturday, it never gets crowded there even though slopes are shorter than at Whitetail and no high speed lifts.

View attachment 2294

That picture is my worst nightmare.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The fact that Mnut is thought of as a small hill with little to offer has made it a good place to be on a holiday weekend for me the last 5-6 years. Even better once the two original double-chairs were replaced with a quad and a triple. Won't be there for MLK weekend since I'm heading out west but this is what it looked like a couple years ago:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...en-fun-southeast-skiing-on-mlk-weekend.13741/

Very few people make it onto the slopes until 11:00 or so. A lot of resort guests staying in a timeshare unit rent their ski/snowboard gear on the mountain. They arrive 9:00-9:30. Stand in line for lift tickets, stand in line for rentals, and then have to figure out how to get everything together to go skiing. Slopesliders ski school for kids starts at 9:30 so those parents can't organize themselves to ski until after that. A good strategy is to ski 9:00-11:30, eat lunch, then go back out when most others are heading in for lunch. Never seen a wait at the beginner lifts at the base of more than 15 min since conveyor loading was added. Of course, by 3:30 the place is emptying out and night skiing is 4:00-10:00 on weekends.

I'll be at Mnut for Pres. Day weekend. Bringing a my friend and her kids who started skiing last season. The only hard part is remembering to make ski school reservations early enough.

Last edited:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Makes me want to rethink, too. :-) Which lift is that? I'm going to cross my fingers that Sunday morning will not be that crowded, even on a holiday weekend. One can always hope.
That's the one that goes up to blue slopes, high speed quad, it's called Whitetail Express Quad. Join me at Roundtop. :smile: But with all seriousness, you might be ok if you start skiing at 8:30 am and then either call it quits or take a break/lunch/lesson around 11. Note though that later in the afternoon lines get even worse.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fact that Mnut is thought of as a small hill with little to offer makes has made it a good place to be on a holiday weekend the last 5-6 years. Even better once the two original double-chairs were replaced with a quad and a triple. Won't be there for MLK weekend since I'm heading out west but this is what it looked like a couple years ago:

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...en-fun-southeast-skiing-on-mlk-weekend.13741/

Will be at Mnut for Pres. Day weekend. Bringing a my friend and her kids who started skiing last season. The only hard part is remembering to make ski school reservations early enough.
That looks amazingly uncrowded for holiday weekend and the conditions look great! I want to go to Snowshoe one of the weekends after Utah, since I have their youth season pass. I'm hoping to that Snowshoe's gladed slopes might open in February. Currently everything, including Western territory slopes is open at Snowshoe, so there is a chance for glades to open in several weeks if it keeps snowing.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That picture is my worst nightmare.
Yup, I hear you. When it gets that crowded I either take a lesson or go home. My strategy last year was to go night skiing to Whitetail during the week and to Roundtop on weekends and that worked well, so I am switching to that schedule again.

marzNC

Angel Diva
With the cold weather coming just before the weekend allowing for plenty of snowmaking, I think conditions will be good all around VA/WV/PA. All a matter of picking the right place and time to ski. Monday is usually not as crowded. Although I heard some school systems are off on Tuesday, so in some places that changes the situation.

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
If it was just me, I would!! I'd usually look at that picture and say it looks like time to hit the bar, but that's not even an option there. :-) That's the plan, though... Be at the lift at 8:30 and out at lunch. How much further is the drive to Roundtop?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it was just me, I would!! I'd usually look at that picture and say it looks like time to hit the bar, but that's not even an option there. :-) That's the plan, though... Be at the lift at 8:30 and out at lunch. How much further is the drive to Roundtop?
For me it's the same distance as Whitetail roughly, just in different direction. It takes around 1.5 hours or less for me to get to either one. I live in Columbia though, not sure what time/distance it would be driving from VA.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be at Snowshoe this weekend. Whitetail does get really crowded on the weekends and lines are super long, especially the beginner one. Usually, the lift on the black run side at Whitetail won't be as long as the others.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But then the Ballhooter lift line at Snowshoe during Saturday/holiday weekend does get crazy long too and one should avoid it as much as possible.

marzNC

Angel Diva
But then the Ballhooter lift line at Snowshoe during Saturday/holiday weekend does get crazy long too and one should avoid it as much as possible.
When things get crowded on the main lifts around 11:00, that's when I would head to Silver Creek with my daughter. The years we went for the SkiSE Summit in early March she wasn't quite good enough for the Western Terrority yet. Have lunch in the cafeteria there and then ski until done for the day. Never really a problem with lift lines over there. Plus sometimes we would stay at Silver Creek to make night skiing easier. She liked the indoor/outdoor pool with the connection under the wall. I liked the big sauna. More convenient and less crowded than the main pool in the village that you have to walk outside to get to.

snow cat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. Western Territory doesn't have much wait if any. Usually, Top of the World side doesn't get bad (line wise) so that's what we do in the morning then lunch and onto Western Terriorty in the afternoon. Then get to Silver Creek before the masses leave the main area when it closes at 4:30. I'm excited that the Shay's Revenge side is open for this weekend!!

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
For me it's the same distance as Whitetail roughly, just in different direction. It takes around 1.5 hours or less for me to get to either one. I live in Columbia though, not sure what time/distance it would be driving from VA.

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it would add the same amount of time from either place... I need to work on my geography! Looks like Roundtop would add almost another half hour for me. Probably pushes it past my day trip driving tolerance. But after this weekend I might think it's totally worth it for the next holiday weekend!

veritasliberat

Certified Ski Diva
@veritasliberat : Have you looked to see how long it would take for you to get to Massanutten? I-66 to I-81 to US33 at Harrisonburg, VA. No mountain driving.

Yes, Harrisonburg is probably only 15 or 20 minutes more driving time than Whitetail. But we bought one of the discount cards for Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop for this year, so we're committed to doing most of our skiing there this season to get our money's worth. Hence the reason I considered being swayed to Roundtop for this weekend but not Massannutten. But I'm already planning to check out Massanutten in a couple weeks. And trying to figure out how I could swing a Thursday off for a clinic with Julie. :smile: If you are able to get that special one set up for Feb 17 I'd be in for that.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, Harrisonburg is probably only 15 or 20 minutes more driving time than Whitetail. But we bought one of the discount cards for Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop for this year, so we're committed to doing most of our skiing there this season to get our money's worth. Hence the reason I considered being swayed to Roundtop for this weekend but not Massannutten. But I'm already planning to check out Massanutten in a couple weeks. And trying to figure out how I could swing a Thursday off for a clinic with Julie. :smile: If you are able to get that special one set up for Feb 17 I'd be in for that.
Completely understand making use of your discount card. Was curious for the future. I liked Whitetail when I checked it out for the first time last week. Would've skied a bit longer except it was under 10 degrees even at lunch time.

I see you have almost 25 posts. After that you'll be able to see any discussion in the Meet On the Hill section for Divas Only.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna