• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2013-14

marzNC

Angel Diva
A little early, but thought I'd get things started for the mid-Atlantic. Mostly that means Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland (Wisp), and Pennsylvania, although NJ, and southern NY or VT are within driving range for some mid-Atlantic ski nuts.

For those new to the area, here are places to consider for local fun this winter.

VA
Massanutten
Wintergreen
Bryce

MD - Wisp

WV
Snowshoe
Canaan Valley
Timberline
Winterplace

PA (more in eastern PA)
Elk
Liberty
Roundtop
Whitetail
Blue Knob
Seven Springs
Hidden Valley

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those Mid-A skiers who can't see Divas Only threads . . .

My home mountain of Massanutten has invited Divas and their family and friends for a fun time Jan. 10-12. They are willing to set up a few special clinics. These are for any level, beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers will find that Mnut has very good terrain for learning new skills or honing fundamental skills that translate well to other ski areas, whether big or small.

All clinics will be $30 for 2 hours. Instructors will be PSIA Level 3 or Level 2 with comparable experience. This is a very good deal!

Friday, Jan. 10, 1:30-3:30: for Ski Divas only
Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Ladies Clinic
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, if >2 interested

For more details, there is a thread under Meet On The Hill. You need 25 posts to see all the Divas Only threads. Introduce yourself in Getting To Know You and getting to the minimum will take no time at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Turns out that there is a K2 Women's Day event in central VA. The wife of a Wintergreen instructor is hosting a wine & cheese party at 7:30 at her house since she couldn't be sure the slopes would be open on Dec. 14. House is on the west side of Charlottesville. Everyone who attends get a free lesson at Wintergreen.

https://k2skis.com/womens-ski-day/1383095835

marzNC

Angel Diva
More opening dates are on websites. Can't wait for the cold weather to arrive tonight!

Snowshoe, WV: Nov 27
Wisp, MD: Nov. 29
Massanutten, VA: Nov 30
Wintergreen, VA: Nov. 30 or Dec. 1
Timberline, WV: Dec 12
Canaan Valley, WV: Dec 14

Discovered the Ski PA website. Not much listed yet though.

Skiing started in NC already. Cataloochee and Sugar hung in there after the weather warmed up. All of the NC ski areas will probably be open shortly after Thanksgiving.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowguns are on all over the Mid-Atlantic! Mnut snowmaking began by 8pm. Love the Mnut webcams. There was snow sighted in Winchester. Freestyle posted a pic of snowguns on at Wintergreen around 9pm. Facebook is the place to find out the latest info.

Forecast for western PA says could be 6 inches of natural snow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
From grass to white at Mnut in 12 hours or so. More snowmaking to come in the next week. :snow:

Nov. 23, 8pm, looking up Southern Comfort and Diamond Jim, lights on to the top of the mountain.

Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 12.04.35 AM.png

Nov. 24, 7am, temperature 15 degrees
Top pic is snow tubing, bottom is Southern Comfort and DJ

Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 7.01.21 AM.png

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah, somehow I overlooked this thread!

Poconos/Eastern PA Openings
Big Boulder - Open, 1 trail - Freedom Park
Blue Mountain - Nov. 29th, weather permitting
Camelback - Nov. 30th
Bear Creek - Dec. 1st, weather permitting
Elk Mountain - Dec. 3rd or 4th
Montage Mountain - Dec. 6th

Catskills Openings
Belleayre Mountain - Nov. 29th (projected)
Hunter Mountain - Nov. 29th
Windham Mountain - Nov. 29th
Plattekill Mountain - Dec. 7th (tentative)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hah, somehow I overlooked this thread!

Camelback - Nov. 30th

Catskills Openings
Belleayre Mountain - Nov. 29th (projected)
Hunter Mountain - Nov. 29th
Windham Mountain - Nov. 29th
Plattekill Mountain - Dec. 7th (tentative)
Glad to see you here! Maybe you missed that I stuck PA at the end of the list. :smile:

Seven Springs and Hidden Valley opening Nov. 29.

No opening date from Blue Knob yet. The good news is that the lift with mid-station for staying on the lower mountain (most of the black runs) is fixed and should be running by opening day.

Maybe @Marigee can update about Whitetail and Liberty.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Ski Patrol has been told that Whitetail is opening on Friday 11/29. However, Whitetail has not posted an official opening on their website yet. I'm guessing that management is waiting to see how well the snowmaking goes. I expect a firm decision by Thursday. I don't know about Liberty and Roundtop, but expect both are following the same logic.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ski Patrol has been told that Whitetail is opening on Friday 11/29. However, Whitetail has not posted an official opening on their website yet. I'm guessing that management is waiting to see how well the snowmaking goes. I expect a firm decision by Thursday. I don't know about Liberty and Roundtop, but expect both are following the same logic.
Whitetail made it official. On their homepage about opening on 11/29. Saw on DCSki that Liberty and Roundtop also opening on 11/29.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowshoe, WV opened on Nov. 27 with plenty of snow on 38 out of 244 acres. With the cold temps after the rain, will be plenty of snowmaking between now and upcoming opening dates. No word yet about Blue Knob but they plan snowmaking this weekend.

NOV 29
Wisp, MD
Whitetail, PA
Liberty, PA
Roundtop, PA

NOV 30
Massanutten, VA
Wintergreen, VA

Timberline, WV: Dec 12
Canaan Valley, WV: Dec 14

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Camelback - Nov. 30th

Blue looks ready to go...was up there this afternoon (our Thanksgiving guests insisted on seeing snow today--they are from a much warmer climate)

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
November opening for several mid-atlantic resorts! That is awesome! It snowed heavily at Snowshoe today and the opening day conditions were really good.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll be at blue tomorrow am!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly