• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2013-14

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw Bear Creek is definitely open on Sunday. Tix $25. The following trails: Black Bear, Kodiak, Cub Rub, Drifter, and possibly Cascade.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to Snowshoe for 3 days over Thanksgiving. Great opening conditions and a large snowfall Wednesday night. The conditions were excellent for early season and they were opening slopes every day we were there. Some pics:
View from our condo
condo view small.jpg
Blue slope Spruce:
Spruce blue slope small.jpg
View from the chairlift:
slope view small.jpg
Snowmaking:
snowmaking small.jpg
Off to a good start of the season! Since local PA resorts opened I am hoping to ski every week from now on.

Marian

Angel Diva
Ro
A little early, but thought I'd get things started for the mid-Atlantic. Mostly that means Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland (Wisp), and Pennsylvania, although NJ, and southern NY or VT are within driving range for some mid-Atlantic ski nuts.

For those new to the area, here are places to consider for local fun this winter.

VA
Massanutten
Wintergreen
Bryce

MD - Wisp

WV
Snowshoe
Canaan Valley
Timberline
Winterplace

PA (more in eastern PA)
Elk
Liberty
Roundtop
Whitetail
Blue Knob
Seven Springs
Hidden Valley
Roundtop's the first place I ever skied here in the USA! (Many, many moons ago...) Nostalgia! : )

Marian

Angel Diva
I went to Snowshoe for 3 days over Thanksgiving. Great opening conditions and a large snowfall Wednesday night. The conditions were excellent for early season and they were opening slopes every day we were there. Some pics:
View from our condo
View attachment 2086
Blue slope Spruce:
View attachment 2087
View from the chairlift:
View attachment 2089
Snowmaking:
View attachment 2090
Off to a good start of the season! Since local PA resorts opened I am hoping to ski every week from now on.
Your pics look DELICIOUS. 0_0

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey mid-atlantic people, Alpina Ski Shop is holding their demo day on Dec. 30th at Jack Frost. Last year Elan, Volkl, Rossi, Nordica, and K2 were there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@tinymoose : will be in the Philly area Thu evening dropping off SkiSuki. Is there somewhere worth checking out for a ski day on Friday? Assuming it's not raining.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Canaan Valley will open this weekend, Dec. 7. Timberline will be open soon. Seems like everyplace in the Mid-A should be open by mid-Dec.

Mnut and Wintergreen took the week off given the warm and wet weather. Both will be open this weekend, with Mnut planning to open on Friday.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose : will be in the Philly area Thu evening dropping off SkiSuki. Is there somewhere worth checking out for a ski day on Friday? Assuming it's not raining.

@marzNC

Oh, sorry! Didn't see this, been sick so I've mostly been sleeping the last few days. Sadly, due to the weather I think the only place open tomorrow is Montage Mountain up near Scranton. They're opening for the season tomorrow with Boomer, Cannonball, Mainline, Whistler w/Terrain Park, Bunny Slope, Nordic, and Connection. Montage is only a 2 hr. drive! To compare, Blue Mountain near Allentown is about 1.5 hrs., so Montage is not as far as it seems b/c it's basically all highway. I really do like that mountain and am glad to see that they're open and with improvements this year. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC

Oh, sorry! Didn't see this, been sick so I've mostly been sleeping the last few days. Sadly, due to the weather I think the only place open tomorrow is Montage Mountain up near Scranton. They're opening for the season tomorrow with Boomer, Cannonball, Mainline, Whistler w/Terrain Park, Bunny Slope, Nordic, and Connection. Montage is only a 2 hr. drive! To compare, Blue Mountain near Allentown is about 1.5 hrs., so Montage is not as far as it seems b/c it's basically all highway. I really do like that mountain and am glad to see that they're open and with improvements this year. :smile:
Thanks! Hope you feel 100% soon.

I'll keep the list in mind for another time. It was already too warm up at Gore for good skiing this morning, so I'm just heading home. SkiSuki and I had a good time chatting with 2ski2moro in person before we drove south.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten opened up again today. Planning to stay open daily for the season. Even with the warm temps and hard rain last week, Mnut has DJ and Upper Showtime open. Being able to build a solid base in Nov made a difference. The only lift not running is Lift 3 for Geronimo and Nuttin-To-It. With cold weather, should be able to make snow every night for a while.

My first ski day at Mnut should be Dec. 15. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wintergreen is open today, but may not stay open all day Sunday. The little road up to Wintergreen is not a place to be with icy conditions.

* * * Wintergreen blog Dec. 7, 2013
SUNDAY UPDATE -

A Winter Storm is headed this way and is expected to arrive early Sunday morning. This storm will bring with it some snow, sleet and a large amount of freezing rain. Weather Forecasters anticipate a mid-day change to freezing rain that will continue through the overnight hours and end Monday morning. Overall ice accumulation could be as high as 1/2 of an inch. As a result, the Ski Area is likely to close mid-day on Sunday with plans to re-open Monday.

Operating Hours for next week:

Monday 12/9 - Thursday 12/12 9a - 5p (day sessions only)
NOTE - Call ahead, Overnight ice accumulation could cause operating delays on Monday.
Day and night session hours begin Friday 12/13.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got the details for the Mnut demo days by Freestyle on Jan. 11-12. They will be set up 9:00-3:00 that weekend. Last time they had a good selection of all-mountain women's skis.

Note that Jan. 12 is also the day Mnut is doing a special Women's Clinic in the morning. 9:30-11:30 for $30. See the thread in Meet on the Hill for more details about the special events for Divas and their friends on Jan. 10-12.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.22.07 AM.png
Snowing at Massanutten! Supposed to keep snowing for several more hours, up to 7 inches predicted. Hopefully Mnut avoids any freezing rain.

Wintergreen getting snow too, but may have freezing rain as the storm system moves northeast.

Hope those in the DC/Baltimore metro area can stay home today and avoid any driving.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Love all the pretty snow! It's snowing heavily in my area too. I didn't go drive to work, working from home.
I think you got the heavy snow. Glad you can work from home. Definitely more snow in parts of MD than Mnut. More importantly, it will be cold for a while so the snow guns can go back to work before next weekend.

Mnut webcam at 3:30pm after the snow was over.

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 3.35.42 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowmaking all night at Mnut, still at it during the day on upper trails. Can't wait until I get there on Sunday!

Mnut and Wintergreen didn't really get much natural snow. Wondering how the storm went for Whitetail and other places north of DC. @Marigee , @tinymoose ?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whitetail opened 2 of their black diamond trails and will open more of the blue runs over the weekend. I'm heading over there with DH on Sunday hopefully. They had $10 group lessons for a few weeks, not anymore though, I think. I took a group lesson for $10 at WT last Sunday, which turned out to be a private lesson for $10, cause nobody else was taking a lesson.:banana: It was a great lesson, even though conditions were not great - chopped up fresh snow on top of some icy patches. I had a very nice female instructor Anne, who helped me tremendously with my pole plant technique and timing. As a result I was able to ski cruddy/icy in places conditions more confidently. Interestingly she recommended singing to get into the rhythm of turns. I remember several Divas mentioned that trick before. An alternative to singing, which I used and liked the most, was saying to myself "touch, turn". Touch refers to pole plant. She also said that my technique is good (thanks to many lessons), I do leg extension/flexion through the turn well and I have a good stance (no backseat). The trouble spots are occasional torso/shoulder movements and pole plant timing (late pole plant). The big revelation from the lesson was reaching down the fall line with the pole instead of planting it next to me.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowmaking all night at Mnut, still at it during the day on upper trails. Can't wait until I get there on Sunday!

Mnut and Wintergreen didn't really get much natural snow. Wondering how the storm went for Whitetail and other places north of DC. @Marigee , @tinymoose ?

The Philly area got a couple inches. Not sure how much the Poconos got. I'm assuming similar? All the places seem to be blowing snow like crazy now, though, since these cold temps have settled in. :snow: I'm hoping to make it out somewhere this coming weekend. Maybe Montage Sunday AM?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna