• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mid-Atlantic (DC, VA, WV, MD, PA) for 2013-14

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mnut and Wintergreen will have more slopes open this weekend. It's the last weekend at early season rates.

Looks like Mnut is trying to get ParaDice open ASAP. It's on the list for snowmaking today for the first time. Having more automated snow guns is clearly making a difference.

Noticed that Wintergreen has new lift ticket options for weekends. Can buy a Weekend or Holiday Weekend ticket. Essentially throws in Friday afternoon after 2pm for someone planning to spend Friday night in/near Wintergreen. Could make Saturdays there even more crowded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Timberline in WV opened yesterday. Blue Knob opened today with a few trails. I think that means by this weekend all the ski areas in the mid-Atlantic will be open.

Mnut got their webcam moving again. Back to 3 views like last winter. Can see pretty big whales on Geronimo. Was closed during the week for full time snowmaking when it was cold enough during daytime hours.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mnut has ParaDice open! All chair lifts are running, but they haven't built the little features on Easy Street yet. Looks like the big terrain park isn't quite ready but that has a separate J-bar so makes little difference to most people.

Wintergreen opened up Highlands with a few trails.

Hope the freezing rain blows through northern Virginia fast. Looks like Mnut got a dusting of snow overnight.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's snowing in PA today! Hoping to get out later today or tomorrow AM. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mnut reported 2 inches of snow in the 3:30pm update. The heavy rain went east of the mountain, which is pretty common. The temperature stayed at 32 or below the whole day. Should be good tomorrow!

Mnut is right about at the "b" in Harrisonburg. It's at the end of a range and sticks up out of the valley. The slopes are north facing sort of inside the mountain.
Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 5.15.53 PM.png

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We hit up Bear Creek. I'd say they had about 4 inches by the time we left? At least that's about how much was on our car.

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We hit up Bear Creek. I'd say they had about 4 inches by the time we left? At least that's about how much was on our car.
Jealous....we had things keeping us from going out yesterday. We woke up to go out this morning and everything was covered in a sheet of ice. Guess we have to wait for the thaw. :(

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jealous....we had things keeping us from going out yesterday. We woke up to go out this morning and everything was covered in a sheet of ice. Guess we have to wait for the thaw. :(

Ice is lame. It was raining on our drive home last night. Probably about 28 - 30 degrees out. Yuck.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A little on the icy side today at Mnut. The soft snow was groomed after closing last night, then it got cold and stayed cold. So frozen granular for a while, then lots of ice patches after that was skied off by afternoon. Blue skies though.

Had a good time with Walter for the Silver Clinic. One other student. A man who is trying to improve now that he has some used shaped skis. Fascinating watching a Level 3 instructor try to figure out how to get an intermediate to learn some fundamentals when there are ingrained bad habits as well as technique from learning to ski on straight skis. We worked on pivot slips a bit, then Walter moved to more basic stuff. I went back after dinner to practice a bit, but couldn't do too much on the ice. Probably <10 people on the slopes at 7pm braving the cold.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Something fun planned for Blue Knob on March 9. There is going to be a Xtreme Vertical Challenge sponsored by SkiExtreme, a competitor to Skiers Edge. The idea is to rack up as much vertical as possible in 5 continuous hours. Vertical registered based on passing through a gate at the top and the one at the bottom. Sounds like a bit flexible in between since open to any ability level from "good" and up. Racers get priority for loading the lifts. All in fun, the blurb ends with "Challenge your friends to see who is the most Xtreme or the dumbest skier on the mountain!"

https://www.skixtremeworkout.com/VERTICAL_CHALLENGE.html

Also doing this at Mad River Glen on Feb. 28. I'm keeping that in mind since I'm driving towards Stowe for Diva Week East around that time. Might be fun to watch.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yippee! The warm snap is over! Mnut had snow guns on around midnight. Blowing all over the slopes this morning. Kept enough base on the core slopes to stay open in spite of the hot weather in the high 60's all weekend. Should be in good shape again for the post-Christmas crowd.

Friends who skied at Mnut on Friday and Saturday said conditions were pretty good all things considered.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whitetail is making and has made a lot of snow in today and yesterday. DH and I heading there tomorrow, hopefully conditions will be pretty decent.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Whitetail is making and has made a lot of snow in today and yesterday. DH and I heading there tomorrow, hopefully conditions will be pretty decent.
Have fun!

Mnut had snow guns on a lot today. Temps stayed cold enough. They limited the blowing on the lower slopes once more people got out. Could have everything open tomorrow that was open before the thaw.

Wintergreen is starting to work on more trails in the Highlands.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten and Wintergreen are in good shape for the rest of the holidays. Have everything open that was open before the thaw. Wintergreen added a few blue and black trails but have quite a bit more work to do for the Highlands (all black, separate lift, no lights).

Should be good conditions for Jan. 10-12 when Mnut has special clinics for women planned, as well as a free demo tent 9:00-3:00 on the weekend. Will be a meet up for Divas in the area. Looking forward to meeting new people.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Massanutten and Wintergreen are in good shape for the rest of the holidays. Have everything open that was open before the thaw. Wintergreen added a few blue and black trails but have quite a bit more work to do for the Highlands (all black, separate lift, no lights).

Should be good conditions for Jan. 10-12 when Mnut has special clinics for women planned, as well as a free demo tent 9:00-3:00 on the weekend. Will be a meet up for Divas in the area. Looking forward to meeting new people.
Yay! I'm excited!
The conditions at WT were great, but I didn't have a good ski day because I hadn't had a chance to see bootfitter about my boot issues (heel lifiting, foot moving up in the boot+a bit too tight in the bony area in front of the toes). I thought I'd try a few small fixes on my own (ski socks padded at the heel, tightening the buckles more and playing with inflating the air bladder in the boots), but that wasn't a good fix cause my feet got numb when buckling even first buckle. :( It's incredible how boot issues can mess with your skiing. And these boot fit me fairly well when I stared skiing in them first few days. Sigh, will try to see a bootfitter at a local shop tomorrow and then if I don't get good help ther will make appointment with one of the bootfitter srecommended by Marigee at DC Ski Center over the weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yay! I'm excited!
The conditions at WT were great, but I didn't have a good ski day because I hadn't had a chance to see bootfitter about my boot issues (heel lifiting, foot moving up in the boot+a bit too tight in the bony area in front of the toes). I thought I'd try a few small fixes on my own (ski socks padded at the heel, tightening the buckles more and playing with inflating the air bladder in the boots), but that wasn't a good fix cause my feet got numb when buckling even first buckle. :( It's incredible how boot issues can mess with your skiing. And these boot fit me fairly well when I stared skiing in them first few days. Sigh, will try to see a bootfitter at a local shop tomorrow and then if I don't get good help ther will make appointment with one of the bootfitter srecommended by Marigee at DC Ski Center over the weekend.
Snowmaking is quite impressive with the right conditions.:smile:

The guy from Freestyle who I expect to handle the demo tent is a boot fitter. Not that he would have any time to do anything that weekend, but you could talk to him if there are any remaining issues. Tightening buckles is rarely a solution.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A brief warm spell this weekend and back to awesome cold weather around 30-31st. We'll probably go to WT on the 31st or 1st. I went to the local bootfitter today and he put in footbeds which helped a lot! Now I can actually feel my heel pressed into the back of t!he boot in the heel pocket! Hope it translates to more confidence on the slopes!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Can't wait for the Freestyle demo days at Mnut Jan. 11-12, 9am-3pm. Looks like with the cold weather coming, the slopes should be in good shape. Glad the demo tent will be open both Sat and Sun because I found out that there will be Wild Bells, Temptation 82, Temptation 88, Savory 7, Superific, Superglide, and Lunas . . . in my length range. Women looking for 150-166 will have plenty to choose from. Tall women will have choices in unisex and men's skis, including the Volkl RTM81 and RTM84. I assume the selection for men will be equally broad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly