• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
We’ve been discussing just that in the goals for 2017/2018 thread!

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...the-2017-2018-season.22069/page-9#post-366417

Currently brainstorming names for signature drinks ;)
Goodness we're all delightfully weird! I googled it the other day and there's not another pub with this name, although there is a Hobble Inn at Stowe, I think. I was also thinking about drinks, and we probably need to include a piratical element in the whole enterprise.

If I was an artist, which I am decidedly not, it would be fun to draw what our pub should look like.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, maybe this is wrong, but I'm doing it anyway.

Went to see the second doctor today. He has done surgery on several people I know and they all highly recommend him. Talked to him about it - they do 2-3 surgeries a week like this, or similar to this, vs 4-5 a year from the other guy. He spoke positively of the other doctor, too.

Anyway, when we got down to talking about how long they were scheduling out, turns out they had a cancellation for tomorrow and I took it. I've been reading, getting recommendations, thinking, etc. etc. and the next dates they had weren't until at least the end of June (217th and 29th) and I don't want to think about it any more. I'm taking it as a positive sign that the world was ready for me to have this done.

So there. I feel kind of nauseated - my need to research is great, but my knowledge isn't, so all I'm going to do is get paralyzed with indecision if I keep going.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Sometimes you have to go with your gut. Sounds like this is one of those times.

Sending good thoughts and healing vibes...check back and let us know how it goes!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also, do pain meds always constipate people? I hear ugly rumors .
I've seen the ads on tv, but my only experience with it was when my dog had a fentanyl patch when he had surgery. But I think he was too doped up to notice, fwiw.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So, maybe this is wrong, but I'm doing it anyway.

Went to see the second doctor today. He has done surgery on several people I know and they all highly recommend him. Talked to him about it - they do 2-3 surgeries a week like this, or similar to this, vs 4-5 a year from the other guy. He spoke positively of the other doctor, too.

Anyway, when we got down to talking about how long they were scheduling out, turns out they had a cancellation for tomorrow and I took it. I've been reading, getting recommendations, thinking, etc. etc. and the next dates they had weren't until at least the end of June (217th and 29th) and I don't want to think about it any more. I'm taking it as a positive sign that the world was ready for me to have this done.

So there. I feel kind of nauseated - my need to research is great, but my knowledge isn't, so all I'm going to do is get paralyzed with indecision if I keep going.

I'm all for getting stuff like this over with as soon as possible, so to me, this is good. Best of luck to you.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think this is an excellent choice, Jenny. You know this surgery is the sooner, the better.

Mineral oil will help, but so would prunes, psyllium, or any of the stool softeners they might offer in the hospital. If you do something low key like that as soon as you start eating, you won’t have to go to the hard core laxatives that make life miserable!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Can't eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight tonight. And I don't even have to report to the surgical center until 1:00. Gonna be a long morning . . . And I have to go into work for a few hours, because there are a couple of things that need to be done, so I can't sleep in.

I'm planning second dinner at about 11:00. Should do wonders for my sleep quality tonight.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my walkabout this morning, I saw a woman at a car, futzing with a Frankenboot. "Oh, you look like @Jenny, taking the boot off to drive, putting it back on to walk." Yep. She said she has plantar fasciitis, compounded by bursitis. Said the boot really does the job and has made it pain-free (the walking part, not the boot-on/boot-off part). She said, "Once you get the full diagnosis and get started on the right treatment, things get so much better." That's where you'll be tomorrow, @Jenny ... started down the path to "So Much Better".

Jenny

Angel Diva
I like that path.

Unfortunately, I have PF in the other foot, and it's going to take a beating for a while some it'll be the only one I can stand on. Maybe I should put the boot on that one while the cast is on the other one!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, I'm alive, and my foot is still attached. And I’d suggest buying stock in the people who supply surgical dressing material. I think this guy used everything in the OR - the nurse even made a comment about how this doc loves his dressings.

Low on details - DH either didn't ask or didn't remember - so I have no idea yet how big the incision is or how many stitches. What I DO know is that I’m glad I took the cancellation appointment.

Damage seems worse than he anticipated. Part of the bone was removed, I think the part that pulled off - the word dead was used. And he was surprised at the size of that chunk, too. Pretty sure that's the piece he was talking about, but it's possible that it was the non displaced talus chunk.

Also, I believe that the split tendon couldn’t be repaired, so there was some magical stuff with tendon transfer. What I google it, everything I find is exactly opposite what is written on the chart that the nurse let us take a picture of, even though she wasn’t supposed to.

The ligament thingy that sounds like it belongs in your eye (retinaculum) was repaired.

He assured DH that I’ll be able to do everything I could before.

So now it's ice, elevate, rest, and eat ice cream. And write down all these questions. I'd like to have some solid answers as to exactly what he found and why right now, but DH is taking good care of me, so I can't fault him for not remembering.

Comfortable right now, but not so eagerly anticipating when the nerve block wears off.

How innocent I was in the first post of this thread, when I hopefully said it was probably just a sprain!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna