• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

newboots

Angel Diva
I strained my wrists using crutches wrong. Get instructions!

Sigh. How long is the recovery?

I agree with trying to find a surgeon who does lots of these!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I strained my wrists using crutches wrong. Get instructions!ari g

Sigh. How long is the recovery?

I agree with trying to find a surgeon who does lots of these!
First guy said 4-6 weeks non weight bearing cast/boot, then another 2 weight bearing in cast/boot, then out of the fancy footwear and PT.

I've got a week until my first alternative dr appt and then another five days after that for the second.

In the meantime, I can now read about how tendons die or become unrepairable if you wait too long, with no details yet as to how long is too long. Good times!

newboots

Angel Diva
[QUOTE="Jenny, post: 367398, member: 808"
In the meantime, I can now read about how tendons die or become unrepairable if you wait too long, with no details yet as to how long is too long. Good times![/QUOTE]

Oh dear. Read theskidiva, Outdoor online, Powder, or People Magazine instead of tendon articles! Oh dear. But, better by ski season!

Jenny

Angel Diva
[QUOTE="Jenny, post: 367398, member: 808"
In the meantime, I can now read about how tendons die or become unrepairable if you wait too long, with no details yet as to how long is too long. Good times!

Oh dear. Read theskidiva, Outdoor online, Powder, or People Magazine instead of tendon articles! Oh dear. But, better by ski season![/QUOTE]
It's summer - there's not enough activity on ski diva to keep me occupied all the time! And it's at least better than watching surgery videos. (Which I would never, ever, ever do!)

I stumbled on the tendon death thing while not so idly wondering if I was way worse off for the wait, or whether it's really ok. They were a little too descriptive in the little bit I read. But I think that was when the thing is ripped in two pieces with no blood or whatever keeps tendons alive. (Actually, I think the problem is that they don't get blood. I dunno.). My split is lengthwise, so I don't think it’s an issue. But I’m too spooked to go back and check!

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ll bet you’re right about blood supply. But what do I know?

A quick google revealed that tendons don’t have a really great blood supply, but they do have some. And folks are doing research on stem cell therapy to help tendons regenerate!

https://eur03.safelinks.protection....dPUJ8e6lwhB0P5/Of4skS3TSPgY2CPoGk=&reserved=0

Sorry for the ridiculous length of the link. I don’t know how to fix it on my phone.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny what a shame. From experience tendons, muscles, sprains hurt more than any break and I think take longer to heal. I have broken bones, had multiple sprained parts, torn mcl, my knees have been wrecked, I've sprained, broken ankles (one they said is permanently broken and I'm too old to try and fix)
I have always opted for no surgery- (I'm a stubborn big baby w/Dr's) I have always done alternative medicine w/exercise for re-hab. I did exercise very slowly what ever was/is broken with help on the proper way to do exercises for the best healing. I also used some collagen producing 'magic' liquid that I believe did help me heal my mcl faster- even if it was a placebo, it worked for me. Belief is a powerful medicine. and of course I used arnica internally and externally.

Having old injured parts, now I know when it's going to rain/snow, no I can't do some extreme things (jumping cornices or mega bumps-yeah that's why I didn't ski that run) I don't ever land on my left leg I know that ankle bone is gone and it has rolled right out putting me on the ground and now that's the mcl w/a tear. But unless I do something extreme, I have no pain when I ski, bike, walk, hike. sure after a good work out I need my arnica and some days the parts are more tired than others. But I can say I'm not gimping Over to the hobble and swear pub, it all has healed enough for me to live life.
Would I feel better had I had surgery? I don't know? But I do know that you can heal and still ski, bike, hike and carry on having fun.

I hope the alternative Dr. gives you a good path or combo idea if you do have surgery, I agree, look for a more active surgeon in that field. Hang In there!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry, Jenny. I'm late to the topic but I want to follow your recovery posts.

I do have one question, though. Did you at any time immediately prior or following your injury, take Levaquin or any Fluoroquinolone antibiotic for an (unrelated) infection? Although it is often associated with Achilies tendon injuries, it can affect other tendons as well.

After 3 days on Levaquin for pneumonia in 2011, I developed bi-lateral plantar faciatisis that lasted 4 months. I never ever had had a foot problem before or since. The doctors had problem diagnosing that, believing it was everything from Lyme disease to Lupus.

Another friend had shoulder tendon problems after Levaquin. Just recently, another friend requires surgery for a ruptured Achilles tendon, with a very long recovery period - also after Levaquin.

I'm not a doctor and I only mention this as a heads up that might alter your diagnosis. It's a well known side effect of the drug, not just an anecdotal internet thing.

Good luck!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@2ski2moro sorry about the plantar faciatisis but I'm glad you mentioned the effects of this antibiotic to raise awareness for others. I too have a friend who took this and kept exercising - totally unaware that it would affect their achilles tendon in a major way.

Jenny

Angel Diva
So sorry, Jenny. I'm late to the topic but I want to follow your recovery posts.

I do have one question, though. Did you at any time immediately prior or following your injury, take Levaquin or any Fluoroquinolone antibiotic for an (unrelated) infection? Although it is often associated with Achilies tendon injuries, it can affect other tendons as well.

After 3 days on Levaquin for pneumonia in 2011, I developed bi-lateral plantar faciatisis that lasted 4 months. I never ever had had a foot problem before or since. The doctors had problem diagnosing that, believing it was everything from Lyme disease to Lupus.

Another friend had shoulder tendon problems after Levaquin. Just recently, another friend requires surgery for a ruptured Achilles tendon, with a very long recovery period - also after Levaquin.

I'm not a doctor and I only mention this as a heads up that might alter your diagnosis. It's a well known side effect of the drug, not just an anecdotal internet thing.

Good luck!
Nope - I am safe there! Haven't had any antibiotic in quite a while - years, I think.

ETA - according to the MRI my achilles tendon is unremarkable.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sorry to hear that @Jenny ....still surprised this happened while your foot was inside a ski boot.... BF Jimmy is STILL on crutches from injury March 21 for tibial plateau fracture while we were skiing HEAVY snow at Heavenly. He's hoping to get rid of them on next appointment with orthopedic surgeon June 4. Apparently they don't do surgery for non-displaced fracture. It's a wait and see kind of thing. Definitely good to get other opinions. Hang in there!
All this time non-weight bearing? Ugh! He must be getting really good at them.
Hmm yes and cranky b/c he is used to getting a lot of exercise and can't walk, run, bike, or anything..... just hobbles along on crutches...

I thought @santacruz skier's bf somehow managed to walk on his leg with the fracture, before it was diagnosed, and so the time frame for being NWB appears longer to accommodate the late start? How one can put weight on a tibial plateau fracture despite the pain is beyond me.

Interesting - I was told to start stationary biking way long before I was allowed to put weight on my leg again. Same thing - non-displaced fracture, but younger, which theoretically helps with healing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I thought @santacruz skier's bf somehow managed to walk on his leg with the fracture, before it was diagnosed, and so the time frame for being NWB appears longer to accommodate the late start? How one can put weight on a tibial plateau fracture despite the pain is beyond me.
He walked for over a week before getting MRI results. Used a ski pole as a crutch.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, so technically he wasn't NWB the entire time. But still injured. :smile:
Yes indeed. As a matter of fact, the day after he was injured I went to Mammoth, and he went back to Northstar and had to shovel 6 ft of snow off the front stairs and porch... so 10 days of WB before MRI did not help.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@2ski2moro sorry about the plantar faciatisis but I'm glad you mentioned the effects of this antibiotic to raise awareness for others. I too have a friend who took this and kept exercising - totally unaware that it would affect their achilles tendon in a major way.
That's crazy. Thanks for the warning post.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna