• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Ughh. Soft tissue injuries are so difficult to deal with, especially since it's not unusual to see 5 different health care professionals and get 5 different opinions on how to best treat them. I hope your doctor's advice checks out! Get well soon!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I can’t handle five different opinions! That would send me over the mental edge.

Well then don't go see 5 different doctors! :wink:

That said, at least with an MRI your diagnosis is a lot more precise than without. So hopefully it'll just be 2 or 3 opinions max.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
sorry to hear! hoping it's a tendon issue, yes they take longer to heal than bones.
Sure Wish we were closer to 'wine' with you. Hang in there!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Soooo, here's a question -

Who here thinks it's a good sign when the doctor you have an appointment scheduled with on Thursday calls and wants you to come in today instead?

Anyone?

Yeah, didn't think so.

Happy thoughts!!!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I actually did come up with that, too, but it was not my first thought. But I do tend to think of/plan for the worst so that if it doesn’t happen then I’m happy. And if it does, then I’m prepared.

It did sound more like he just wanted to get me the info ASAP, since he knew I had already called them on Friday.

His verdict, as suspected, surgery. Three main issues - one torn ligament in the top, bendy part of the ankle; a longitudinal split in the peroneal tendon; and then the peroneal tendons are subluxing, because the tissue piece that holds them in their proper place (retinaculum) is gone.

I asked every question I could think of, but the main thing I’m fixating on at the moment is that he only does 4 or 5 of these a year. I have no basis of comparison until I see one of the other doctors I made appointments with, but that doesn’t sound like many at all.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm sorry to hear that @Jenny ....still surprised this happened while your foot was inside a ski boot.... BF Jimmy is STILL on crutches from injury March 21 for tibial plateau fracture while we were skiing HEAVY snow at Heavenly. He's hoping to get rid of them on next appointment with orthopedic surgeon June 4. Apparently they don't do surgery for non-displaced fracture. It's a wait and see kind of thing. Definitely good to get other opinions. Hang in there!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
All this time non-weight bearing? Ugh! He must be getting really good at them.
Hmm yes and cranky b/c he is used to getting a lot of exercise and can't walk, run, bike, or anything..... just hobbles along on crutches...

Jenny

Angel Diva
Hmm yes and cranky b/c he is used to getting a lot of exercise and can't walk, run, bike, or anything..... just hobbles along on crutches...
You'd think I was a huge exerciser from the thinking I’ve been doing about it, trying to figure out what I'll be able to do this summer. Will probably all come to nothing, but I've decided arms and core should be doable.

mustski

Angel Diva
Ugh! This is terrible news, Jenny! I am sorry to hear that surgery may be in the near future. Somehow, I managed to miss this thread update until today. I thought I was caught up and that it was good news. Drat. Drat. Drat!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your arms are going to get lots of exercise as it is ... crutches, y'know.

You might find some leg exercises, like various leg lifts, you can do safely to maintain muscle mass. And if you learn to let swear words rise up from your gut, your core may get all the workout it needs.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Sorry to here about the surgery :( Hang in there - i guess, upper arm workouts - maybe lots of canoeing and kayaking this summer?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Sorry to here about the surgery :( Hang in there - i guess, upper arm workouts - maybe lots of canoeing and kayaking this summer?
Wouldn't be until incision is healed and can get wet - even then I might think twice about putting it into a river. Not to mention trying to get in/out of one of those things when I'm non weight-bearing! That just asking for another injury, albeit one with probably a pretty good story, and maybe a video if DH is thinking ahead . . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga