• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
Whine time - I was prepared for pain, which hasn't been bad at all. Stopped the Percocet today and no noticeable increase in pain, so I haven’t taken anything else yet. What I wasn’t prepared for was just how uncomfortable I am! Numb, tingly, foot - the dressing has a hard spot on the back right where my leg rests when it's elevated - my butt is sore - and I’m sick of the couch!

On the plus side, since I quit the narcotic I should be safe to have a drink of the Watermelon Hard Cider we bought today, which is yummy and delicious and summery.

Only a week and half to go in this dressing, then into the cast, which will probably feel great at first but only because it'll be something new. Then we'll have another post where I whine about that. Something to look forward to . . .

Has anyone ever tried the hands-free crutches?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Misery and whining seem to be indicators that your recovery is right on track.

I imagine doctors listening to these complaints, nodding, showing sympathy ... all the while, in their heads, going "Yes! Another success!" because if you weren't feeling good, you'd just pop pills and be a lump.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Ah, thanks, @vickie. Went to work yesterday and picked up some stuff I can do at home, so I’ll feel productive again, which should help immensely.

Three of my toes are no longer tingly, which I guess means the nerve block remains are still wearing off.

Gotta try trussing up the leg for a shower today or tomorrow, too. We're headed to Cleveland for a quick trip to visit my aunt and uncle. Wouldn't do it now except he is not doing at all well with cancer so it can’t be put off. Have figured out how to ride in the car so I can keep the leg elevated, but it should be a test of how well I think I’m doing, and probably make me happy to see our couch again when I get home.

Jilly

Staff member
My suggestion would be the back seat, sitting sideways. Seat belt might be a problem. Not sure how long a drive it is. Or seat back as far as it goes and a box for your foot.

Just remind DH, no fast braking!!

Jilly

Staff member
My book keeper had her ankle fused a few years ago. So I just asked her how she got around after the surgery. She did the back seat thing with a pillow under the foot.

Also some things to look into....Scooter for the surgery leg. The knee rests on the platform, the foot over the end. I'm sure you can just rent one from a medical supply place.

https://www.kneewalkerscanada.com/s...MIrI_V97TT2wIVUr7ACh3kNgcvEAQYASABEgJFXfD_BwE

Also you might be able to rent a shower seat, depending on the shape of your shower/tub.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish you were closer to Saratoga Springs. I have a scooter and a lift for it. The lift goes in the trailer hitch on the car and the power connects through a 7 pin trailer connector. You drive on to the lift, press a button, raise it up and drive away. My mom used it for years and it's just sitting in my garage.

BTW, the Knee Walker is a great alternative to crutches. When I needed crutches for my knee, I used the forearm crutches. Much more comfortable than the armpit ones.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And one more tip for a DIY foot rest - a package of 12 rolls of paper towels. Wrap it in plastic cling wrap for extra strength. You can modify the height and size by adding or subtracting rolls. Use it in the car or at your desk.

Jenny

Angel Diva
For the car I can lay the passenger seat all the way back then sit behind the driver and rest my leg on the console and a wedge on the passenger seat. I haven’t tried sitting completely sideways in back yet. My legs are too long for the passenger seat - the dressing is so bulky that I can't fit it up under the glove box. Can't remember if I posted a picture of it - so here you go.

I also have a prescription for the knee walker, but I haven’t gone to get it yet. Hadn’t thought about the forearm crutches. Maybe when I go to the medical supply place I’ll try those out, too. And I’m going to ask about the hands-free crutches, although I’m not sure I’m coordinated enough to handle them.

While I’m posting pictures, here's my nest, too.

AE4519D9-85C6-4EA3-BC07-4BDFAD4AA354.jpeg685E1F70-0784-4B8A-A507-68816CDA9D69.jpeg

Last edited:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Using a mega-cup for watermelon hard cider, I see ... :thumbsup:

Re: showering -- I bet that dressing could soak up pounds of water. Get that thing wet, you might need someone to help carry your leg! Bath might be easier. Get situated in a dry tub. Add water, bathe, drain water. Get out of relatively dry tub. Especially easy if you have a hand-held shower head.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Using a mega-cup for watermelon hard cider, I see ... :thumbsup:

Re: showering -- I bet that dressing could soak up pounds of water. Get that thing wet, you might need someone to help carry your leg! Bath might be easier. Get situated in a dry tub. Add water, bathe, drain water. Get out of relatively dry tub. Especially easy if you have a hand-held shower head.
The thing already weighs pounds on its own - and if I filled that mug with hard cider there would be a lot less whining about discomfort, partly because I'd be passed out and/or unable to type coherently!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used one of these https://amzn.to/2LN9UBt when I had a cast on my leg. I'm not sure it will go over the huge bandage right now, but keep this in mind for later. The vacuum that it makes keeps the water out. I showered with this daily for 8 weeks with no leaks.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I used one of these https://amzn.to/2LN9UBt when I had a cast on my leg. I'm not sure it will go over the huge bandage right now, but keep this in mind for later. The vacuum that it makes keeps the water out. I showered with this daily for 8 weeks with no leaks.
That's interesting - thanks for the link. I should probably order it right now, so I’m ready. Someone said something about asking for a waterproof cast but this seems like it would be better because you wouldn’t have to worry about drying the inside.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
My colleague just had foot surgery that required no weight at all on that leg, and she said the knee walker was amazing and made it so much easier to get around.

Hope you're healing well.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And on a VERY personal note...I had problems getting up from the toilet on one leg. Arrrrgggg. I can't believe I wrote this.

I bought a simple galvanized screen door handle from the big box store and screwed it into the wall next to the toilet. I pulled myself up when needed.

When I was back on both feet, I took it off the wall, patched and painted.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just thought of one other thing that might help you. We all know what a wheelchair is, but it's heavy and won't fold well for the car.

The alternative is a Transport Chair. You should be able to find one on Craigslist for cheap. New, they cost $150-170. They have 4 small (6-8") wheels and really should be pushed rather than you propelling yourself. Although, you can scoot a bit with your good leg.

It's perfect if you need to go a longer distance like shopping or museum, etc. Buy it used and resell it. Your net cost will be really low.

Jenny

Angel Diva
And on a VERY personal note...I had problems getting up from the toilet on one leg. Arrrrgggg. I can't believe I wrote this.

I bought a simple galvanized screen door handle from the big box store and screwed it into the wall next to the toilet. I pulled myself up when needed.

When I was back on both feet, I took it off the wall, patched and painted.
I've been lucky in this respect - can bend my knee, which helps, and the counters are close enough to the throne, and on the right side, so I can use them to lever myself up pretty easily.

Will have to look at the transport chair.

Love all of the suggestions, too - thanks!

ride_ski

Angel Diva

Has anyone ever tried the hands-free crutches?
Jenny, When I had a lisfranc sprain last fall, I bought an iWalk crutch. I could never have been NWB for 7 weeks without some option other than crutches. It worked great once you got the hang of it- you can even go up and down stairs. My main downside was that my hip got tight while using it. I was stretching, but probably should have started that sooner.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Jenny, When I had a lisfranc sprain last fall, I bought an iWalk crutch. I could never have been NWB for 7 weeks without some option other than crutches. It worked great once you got the hang of it- you can even go up and down stairs. My main downside was that my hip got tight while using it. I was stretching, but probably should have started that sooner.
Yep, that’s the one I’ve been looking at. Did it,take long to get the hang of it? I keep picturing "stubbing my toe" on that side and trying to figure out how to keep from falling.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna