• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jenny injures her ankle at Mammoth

Jenny

Angel Diva
I don't know, makes me nervous.
I bet it’s really weird to get used to. Some reading I did said you needed training, especially if you were used to a manual transmission, because of being used to a clutch with that foot.

I think it's more meant for people with permanent conditions, and the portable kind is so you can share a car with someone who doesn't have right leg issues.

It's pretty interesting what's out there that you don’t know about, in general.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
Yep, that’s the one I’ve been looking at. Did it,take long to get the hang of it? I keep picturing "stubbing my toe" on that side and trying to figure out how to keep from falling.
Sorry for the delay..."stubbing your toe" is the biggest issue (and that's exactly what I called it ) It didn't take that long to get used to it. You set the height a little lower at first until you get the hang of it. The best thing I found to do was to go to a store and walk behind a shopping cart. It gave me an opportunity to get into the rhythm of walking but having something to hold onto while doing it. I did this a bunch of times- it really helped. I never fell while on the crutch. When you stub your toe, it caused a jerky motion and you can catch your balance. the most important thing is to take it slow. Most balance issues happened when I was rushing. See if you can find a pharmacy that carries them and is a "certified fitter". I did that and was able to try it before buying so I could make sure I wouldn't fall flat on my face. I must admit, I was REALLY unsteady the first time- that is when I had DH walk in front of me and I held onto his shoulders. They sold it for the same price as Amazon.

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Well, picked up my wheels yesterday. Now to deck it out with tassels, a bell, cup holder, license plate, and a card in the spokes!

Tomorrow is the first follow up with the doctor, and a change from my gigantic dressing to a hopefully less bulky cast.

I have to say, I was not prepared for all of the feelings that have been going on under this dressing. Electrical impulses, tingling, tightness, pulling, etc. not to mention the feeling of things scraping against the incision area and all around my ankle, kind of like I imagine handcuffs would feel. It's all kind of disconcerting.

Anyway, positive thoughts for when they remove the stitches or staples (whichever I have) tomorrow. The papers I was given say "this may be uncomfortable for you". Hope I don't shriek/cry/swear/throw up!

newboots

Angel Diva
I hate it when they say, “You might experience some discomfort.” Just telll it to me straight!

But you, Jenny, will channel your Inner Skier and think of it all as part of the healing process. I hope it doesn’t hurt!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope it all goes well and you're progressing on the road to recovery, @Jenny .

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'm alive! Staple removal wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't horrible, either. And I don't think my husband's hand is broken from the squeezing . . .

Foot actually looked like a foot - no remaining bruising. Felt good to get some air on it, too. If a leg can be claustrophobic, mine was getting there.

I did take a quick glance at the incision, with the staples still in, but only a quick one. DH took a picture in case I want to look more. Incision is 4-5" long and had 16 staples.

I am now in a pretty purple cast, and have 6 more weeks of total non weight bearing to go. Did you know that means I can't even rest it on the ground when I sit? I did not know that until this little adventure. And, of course, the moment the cast went on I had an itch on that foot. Purely psychological at that point, but I know it will come. There's always something to look forward to.

marzNC

Angel Diva
not sure if this gizmo was shared..
Very interesting! Invented by a farmer in Ontario in the 1990s. Certified in Canada as a medical device after medical professionals at the Toronto’s Sunnybrook Health Science Center got involved. Later approved by the U.S. FDA and in Europe. Apparently Harrison Ford used one while he was filming a Star Wars movie in 2014. The company has dealers worldwide.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been reading the board lately because you know, summer but I popped on today and wanted to say I'm sorry to hear you are still working on getting your ankle back to normal Jenny. Healing thoughts coming your way.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@CarverJill - thanks!

@nopoleskier - that gizmo is the hands free crutches I was asking about, that ride_ski used.

@2ski2moro - got my cast condom today - worked great! Felt good to shower again. Might go borrow the shower chair from my friend's mother, though. Keeping heel completely off the shower floor from the lower position on the cooler wasn't easy. And I’d forgotten that when I did it before I could step out of the tub with the bad foot - also a little more difficult this time.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Halfway through the cast portion of recovery! Borrowed a wheelchair from a friend's mom and was pushed through an art fair yesterday. Used the knee scooter for one a couple of weeks ago, but this one was much bigger and my friends offered to push, so who am I to refuse? Honestly, the worst part of this at the moment is how many people make comments and want to talk about it! I'm not much on talking to people I don't know so it's kind of exhausting.

Had my first tiny accident today. Was outside, sitting down, doing some light gardening. Tried standing up to scoot the chair and got off balance - put my bad foot down, with weight on it. Didn't hurt, just tingled a little, and was no worse than usual during the day so I think all is ok. It was bound to happen at least once during recovery so I'm glad it took this long. But now I’m not 100% compliant, darn it!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly