• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many days have you skied so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Very newbie question, but what counts as a ski day? If it's at least hitting up a few runs then I'm at 11 days.

Everyone has different definitions as to what constitutes a ski day. For me, it has to be four runs, minimum.

I think I'll start a thread about this. We may have had one years ago, but lord knows where it is.

Go here for the thread.

shadoj

Angel Diva
#32, back at Welch Village. "Aftermath"

The "snow" was very loud and pivoty. Yes, you could sideslip uphill. Actual skiing wasn't as bad as one would think; it was a patrol training night, anyway. The ice pond around the patrol shack at the base needed a double-black diamond rating, though!

Heading out again tomorrow for a day shift. Temps should be pleasantly wintry, and we might even get more sunshine!

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 It's a vicarious ski season for some, and a journal for others... I like posting here! I'm really amazed at how much I've gotten out on the hill this year for a Midwesterner!

#33 today, @ Welch Village

Crispy 8F morning rising to ~31F when I left; blue sunny sky. Amazing what the grooming crew did since ice-rink Wednesday! Skied two shifts in the "back bowl" (our "expert" terrain) with an awesome snowboard patroller who transferred in from New Mexico. Lots of very-small-radius, narrow-corridor turns on the side of steeps was the best strategy, though nothing really ever got too icy, just a little scraped. I felt really smooth with my turns the entire day, woohoo!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 It's a vicarious ski season for some, and a journal for others... I like posting here! I'm really amazed at how much I've gotten out on the hill this year for a Midwesterner!

#33 today, @ Welch Village

Crispy 8F morning rising to ~31F when I left; blue sunny sky. Amazing what the grooming crew did since ice-rink Wednesday! Skied two shifts in the "back bowl" (our "expert" terrain) with an awesome snowboard patroller who transferred in from New Mexico. Lots of very-small-radius, narrow-corridor turns on the side of steeps was the best strategy, though nothing really ever got too icy, just a little scraped. I felt really smooth with my turns the entire day, woohoo!
Glad to hear that you like this thread.

Yesterday was one of those super cold days for us. Starting with the first tracks at -6. It only went up to 6. Today was another story entirely. Started out at 4, but went up to 26. It was a beautiful day like yesterday regardless. Got on my slalom skis and there I went on so much corduroy.
So grateful.

shadoj

Angel Diva
#34 and #35, yesterday and today at Welch. Slightly too warm and overcast. Survived President's Day holiday. Made nice turns. Stayed injury-free. Helped out with some patrol stuff... met some nice folks on the lifts.

We might get 1.5-2ft snow here in the next few days! Whoopee!!!

shadoj

Angel Diva
#36: Tuesday. Welch Village.
Nice day, skied with a fellow patroller candidate and some day patrollers; we worked on some drills, practiced some toboggan runs, and free-skied a bit. Still working on solutions to my loaded-toboggan-driving woes, but we've made partial headway with some ideas... tail roping is getting much more automatic and I quite enjoy it. Got a couple inches of fluffy snow at the end that would eat your tracks from one run to the next. That's kinda fun.

... Intermission: The blizzard that didn't exactly happen ...

Yeah, the wind blew, and it was cold-ish, and we got 12"+ of snow over a couple days, but... mostly a shoveling/plow-pack annoyance, more than anything. I'll take it, though.

#37: Today (Friday). Welch Village, of course.
*-8F* when I left my house ~8am this morning; 12F when I left the hill around 5pm. Brrr.

First part of the day was spent drilling bamboo and fencing into the snow, along with flagging rope and attempting to mark dangerous off-trail areas that folks had cut into because "new snow!!! and I see tracks!!!" *sigh*

Missed the freshest powder on Thursday evening frontside, but had second-shift dibs on the back bowl (left ungroomed post-storm) this morning... so, slightly settled chop with a few untouched chunks. Was starting to get moguled-up by mid-shift. Attempted to keep my downhill (new inside) leg soft, and my form improved quite a bit throughout the day as the moguls shape-shifted into afternoon speed-check scrape/pile zones. A couple steeper runs actually managed to form some nice bumps, but guessing those will be turned into a groomed base for the Saturday crowd. Hoping they'll keep the one blue run which has formed natural moguls as-is on the front for the season!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Delayed bumps from today! This almost never happens at our midwestern hill, so here you go:

KIMG4352.jpg
Adam's Abyss. A double-black (here).

KIMG4359.jpg
Carter's Cliff (rated black). Everyone must go down this run to get to Chair 6.

Like usual, a lot steeper looking up top! Quite a few folks who were in for a challenge today (me included). The first one is Winch-Cat terrain. Had a great time :smile:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know how to fix it but anyway day #50 yesterday was spent in the trees looking for leftover untouched snow from our big snowstorm. I would have skied after work on Thursday when it happened but I was so exhausted from shoveling all stinking day I ran out of energy.

IMG_20230224_164151690.jpg

shadoj

Angel Diva
#38: Welch Village, again. 18F to 38F while I was there!

Bluebird day and sunshine made for some softer snow by midmorning, and the steeper "back bowl" terrain even held up pretty well throughout the afternoon. Met some nice folks on the chairlifts. Helped someone with boot-snowballs get back into their bindings. Not as much mayhem as expected, given the crowds.

My turns were feeling really smooth, and the bumps were left on Dan's Dive! Woohoo! I'm getting so much more confident on attacking erratic lines :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna