• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What constitutes a ski day?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m pretty easy, if I put skis on and skied that day, it’s a ski day! :smile:

It could be at a resort, it could be backcountry, it could be cross country, it could be in my front yard, it could be inside a mall in New Jersey.

The vast majority of my downhill days are around 6 hours on snow, but there are exceptions and out of resort activities are variable.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Maybe 3 for me? I don't think I've ever had a "ski day" with that few runs, though. However, I'd count it for fewer if there's rehab / skill progress / overcoming fear / "Acts of God" involved! Never-evers and beginners get credit for even just one run! Or riding the lift! Or walking across the parking lot in ski boots!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No special amount of runs for me. Like @MissySki I count it as a ski day if I skied at all that day. XC or alpine. But I don't live super close to a ski area that I go to, so I usually ski a minimum of 2 hours on any given day in early season and then 5+ as the season goes on.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I think it’s a ski day if I am out for more than an hour. Because at that point, it’s one of two situations. I packed it in because I started struggling, which means I was saving my body from risk and avoiding bad habits OR I found flow and didn’t stop/only stopped when the people got annoying and not entertaining. Here in the Midwest we cannot get away from the people if they are there. LOL.

The days where I’ve been out, done 5 runs and gone in (2 days this season, when my IT band was not doing well) I have not counted.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On non work days I sometimes only ski a few runs, because I am often skiing with a dear friend for whom that is a "ski day". I am a firm believer that it is up to the skier to determine what a ski day is.

If it is heavy spring pow, then it may only be one run, but ooooooooh how divine that one run can be. I am also lucky that one run could be a 4K vertical foot drop of a run. Though, I have also skied one green short run and called it a day before.

In my personal preference book the skiing time should at least equal the prep and travel time.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
If I put myself in the car, drive to the mountain, click in and go up the mountain (lift or skinning), it is a ski day. If I stop after a nominal amount of time, there is a good reason; they all count in my book!

marzNC

Angel Diva
At Massanutten, I count a "ski day" if I go out for even an hour. A run takes about 7 min to ride the lift and 2-3 min to ski down on the blue and black trails. Doing anything else got too complicated.

When I'm out not in the southeast, I rarely ski less than 3 hours, so counting days is pretty straight forward. A short day usually means doing some driving before or after skiing.

For my own records, I split the total between East and West.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Pretty simple flow chart I use...

Did you have skis on your feet today? ---->
NO ----> Not a ski day.
YES ----> Continue to next question.

Did you ski (the act of sliding over snow with skis on your feet)? ---->
NO ----> Not a ski day.
YES ----> Its a ski day.

brooksnow

Angel Diva

NO ----> Not a ski day.

NO ----> Not a ski day.
YES ----> Its a ski day.
This is my criteria too.

I can't insist on only counting days I ride a lift because I often spend days teaching little kids without ever being on a lift. Hanging on to the back of a 12 seat sled behind a snowmobile (aka Moose Caboose) is way more tiring and faster than a lift ride.

Last week I spent a day on the hill that even I couldn't count as a snowboard day because I never strapped in. I got plenty of steps in as I walked down the hill with a bitty kid. The next day I strapped in for one run before he asked me to walk with him. That counted as a day.

Count as of today: 59 on skis, 18 riding, many days both, 63 days total.

kiki

Angel Diva

NO ----> Not a ski day.

NO ----> Not a ski day.
YES ----> Its a ski day.
I use this methodology for counting day…it takes 1-3 hours to drive to the ski hill and an hour of stretching plus time to pack the car before that, so if I make it to the ski hill and get on the snow in skis, that counts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna