• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When you fall, does HE help?

Does your man assist or does he leave you to your own capabilities

• Significant Other Stops to help

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Significant Other Dusts you as he skis past you

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Significant Other Stops to help but only if you are noticably in need

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Significant other is Base Lodge Dad while you Ski

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe the Family forum area is not the place for this poll but I thought since its about Skiing couples, its kind of about a family of 2.
There has been a lot of talk about capable women skiing and being a formidable force in the skiing industry.

When I started skiing with my husband(then boy friend), he used to help me get my boots on, carried my skis for me, and always stopped to help if I happened to fall while skiing. Not so much any more, and I'm fairly confident I DON'T want his assistance.

In fact while discussing this, I realized that my husband doesn't even attempt to assist me with equipment, and when I fall, he's far more likely to pass me by and dust me with snow while I'm trying to get up.
Of course, he gets the same treatment from me.:D

So, Divas, Does your SO stop to help or do you get a dusting?

Jilly

Staff member
Last year we had friends visiting for a ski weekend. The man helped his wife with her boots both mornings, carried her skis, all those things like your husband used to do. My husband has NEVER carried my skis, (except when I sprained my thumbs) and never put my boots on for me or even assembled them after drying. He is just like my father - if you can't carry it or do it your self, you don't need it!!
As for picking me up - only if I'm hurt and I don't think he'd do it then even!! But he would call patrol.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I created a flawed poll.:(
I should have included..
Significant Other yells out "wipe out scores" from the chair lift.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband does not help me with my equipment but he does stop when I fall. At our age, we help each other. I stop when he falls too.
Neither one of us can afford an injury.

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband falls more than I do and is ready to call it quits sooner. If he can get us moving faster by carrying both our skis to the car and then coming to pick me up, he does. I base this scenario at Elk Mtn where the parking is a pain.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lynn, are you saying that you dust him as you ski past when he falls, and maybe even yell out wipe out scores from the chair lift?

:cool:

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My H will definitely stop and assist when I fall and I will for him. We don't fall that much.

Sometimes he carries my skis. :smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I ski with my sweetie all the time. And when one of us goes down, the other always stops to make sure there's no damage done.

As for carrying my stuff, I'm on my own. :D

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't pick any of them. Usually, if we're in the same area, and he notices that I'm down, he'll stop and wait for me to give him the ok signal, then he'll continue. He's on a board, so running back up the mountain to help me would be difficult, and plus I'd probably yell at him. :smile:

Last year I fell and gave myself one heck of a black eye. He stopped when I fell, but when I got up continued... when we got to the bottom he felt kinda bad because my eye was all swollen and bruised, but what could he have done? He did hold my skis while I stopped at the First Aid to make sure I didn't have a concussion....

K.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We will always stop to help each other, I do fall more often, but he's usually too far in front to do much else than watch from the bottom of the hill.

We both do it with strangers too, always pull up to make sure someone is ok after a big dust-up, or to retrieve lost equipment.

Last year in Breckenridge, we watched a guy do a huge yardsale the entire length of Horseshoe Bowl, both skis were the first to go, and he slid the entire way down on his stomach. Before he got to his feet, my husband had found both skis, shouldered them and skied down to the poor guy, who was dumbfounded with gratitude that someone would do that for a complete stranger.

Maybe it's just an Aussie thing.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its not just an Aussie thing. We stop too even if the person down is a stranger. a couple of times we even needed to go for the ski patrol. we would want somebody to help us if we were injured.

When Lola was hurt one of the teens with the teen who took Lola out raced for help while the others stayed with us until help arrived. It was very comforting.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad I waited

I must be one of a fortunate few. My sweetie carries my skis and the rest of the heavy gear--I'm lucky if I get to carry both pair of poles. He hustles up/over/down to check on me if I fall and reminds me to ice my knee at the end of the day. He also treats others with the same degree of kindness and respect. Unbelievable.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shellski said:
... I do fall more often, but he's usually too far in front to do much else than watch from the bottom of the hill.

Yep, same with my husband here. He usually waits at the bottom on most slopes, but if it's a tricky or technical section, he'll make sure that I get through it ok.

I just told my husband, "Honey, some of these women have husbands who carry their skis and boots to and from the lodge for them!" (Hint, hint.)
He gets this quizzical look on his face, then says, "Do they carry their husbands equipment, then?" :p

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lori_K said:
I just told my husband, "Honey, some of these women have husbands who carry their skis and boots to and from the lodge for them!" (Hint, hint.)
He gets this quizzical look on his face, then says, "Do they carry their husbands equipment, then?" :p
ROFLMAO!!

When it comes to my equipment, I take better care of mine than he does with his, so I'm just as happy if he doesn't help me carry my stuff.
When it comes to skiing, we ski at the same level, though there are some things I do better and some things he does better. So its not surprising that it isn't always convenient to stop and help if one of us is out in front of the one who falls.

Now a true story of my husband's Chivalry(sp).......
Spring of 2005, last day of skiing for the season, we'd been skiing and racing each other all day. Sun was out, had lunch with friends on the hillside. Great day!
Just about 2 hours before close, we were skiing nearly side by side, when my ski tip caught a slush pocket. I immediately went into Cartwheel activity(not a good thing with 170 cm skis attached to your feet). Can you spell G-A-R-A-G-E S-A-L-E! Of course he was well past me by the time he realized I was no longer with him so he went up the chair, and conveniently yelled out, "I'll give you an 8.5 on that one. you'd have gotten a 10 but you didn't lose both gloves!!!"
By the time he skied back down to me, a friend had already stopped to help me get my "garage sale finds" assembled, SO, instead of stopping to help, he went by fast laying up a snow(slush) spray that you would not believe.

And that, your honor is how the ski pole ended up his butt!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
There's not a jury in the land that would convict you! :D
Like the new doo, Ski Diva!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine stops only to make sure I'm laughing and not hurt. Usually, I'm laughing so hard, I can't even get up...he just shakes his head, then dusts me as he goes by.:smile:

He doesn't fall very often, but when he does it's usually really hard, so I always stop to make sure he's ok.

And yes, he usually carries the skis and bags while I get the poles ;) .

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
volklgirl said:
Mine stops only to make sure I'm laughing and not hurt. Usually, I'm laughing so hard, I can't even get up...he just shakes his head, then dusts me as he goes by.:smile:

He doesn't fall very often, but when he does it's usually really hard, so I always stop to make sure he's ok.

And yes, he usually carries the skis and bags while I get the poles ;) .
The whole "carrying the equipment" thing really doesn't count with you and me, because we park within 30 ft of the first chair lift.:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna