• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When you fall, does HE help?

Does your man assist or does he leave you to your own capabilities

• Significant Other Stops to help

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Significant Other Dusts you as he skis past you

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Significant Other Stops to help but only if you are noticably in need

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Significant other is Base Lodge Dad while you Ski

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
My sweetie helped me out BIG TIME when I took a tumble in a near "no fall" zone a few weeks ago. My ski came off and was glaring at me from about 30 feet above my head in a super steep area. He side stepped up and I thought he was going to kill me...but he calmly got my ski, popped my binding, cleared the snow & helped me back into it.

That being said - I wiped pretty bad in 27" of powder on a regular trail on Sunday and he laughed, hooted & kept on skiing. We were flying though, would have been hard for him to stop at all. Falling in that much snow is usually pretty funny anyway.

Hiking for turns or any time otherwise, I always carry my own skis and would never expect anyone else to do it. If you can't haul your own gear - you probably shouldn't be skiing anyway. (Unless you're a little trucker)

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my new "friend" has been helping me to the max, re-training me in the new parabolic style. He always puts my skis in the car, drives, waits for me if he's further down the hill. I'm a pretty good skiier but not as heavy as him, and not nearly as good as him, so he's usually ahead of me. he's super considerate...I would not want him to think I was taking advantage by having him carry my gear.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine helps when he's around. He's speedier than me, so he usually is history when I've fallen.

I stopped yesterday to help a little girl whose mom was trying to help gather her and her gear and help her find her way up. Mom was in a kind of bad spot to help, and I managed (a bit surprisingly, considering how badly my skis were behaving yesterday) to stop in just the right place to offer a hand to haul her up. Sitting on the tails of your skis is a hard spot to get up from!

It reminded me a little bit of a situation I saw the other day when we were out that ALMOST had me climbing back up the hill!

Mom, Dad, and son, off trail in some steep, powdery stuff. Dad was below, mom above. Son had fallen, and was pretty much laying on his tails. Mom offered to come down to son and take his poles, so he could ski without worrying about them (all this was taking place loudly) and Dad was encouraging kid to get up. Seemed cool, y'know, so I went a bit farther down hill, and this being one of those that I have a mental block on and find myself traversing the first bit down, I stopped across the way, after a quick turn to put myself where I could see who was coming down before jumping back into their way.

The situation up there with the family had devolved. Mom was now below son with Dad, holding son's poles. Son was still laying on the snow, wailing loudly now. Dad is hollering up that son should get up NOW! And Hurry Up about it. Kid was claiming he couldn't do it.

Now, Mom, having stopped close enough to son to take poles from son, could have hoisted him back to his feet, couldn't she have? And why didn't she? He wasn't that big a kid, and Dad was "teaching" like DH teaches me! (good thing he did better with the kids!)

Kano

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I promised to post this for MR.SKIDIVA, Jon Clinch. I was skiing with him, my hubby, and THE Diva, Wendy. Well, Jon fell down and Wendy went whizzing by. My hubby stopped to help Jon with his skis and I skied down to where Wendy was stopped to let her know Jon was ok.

"Did you see that fallen skier? Where's Jon", Wendy asks me.

"That was Jon", I said. " You skied right by him."

So to answer this poll, Jon stops for Wendy, but....:wink:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I promised to post this for MR.SKIDIVA, Jon Clinch. I was skiing with him, my hubby, and THE Diva, Wendy. Well, Jon fell down and Wendy went whizzing by. My hubby stopped to help Jon with his skis and I skied down to where Wendy was stopped to let her know Jon was ok.

"Did you see that fallen skier? Where's Jon", Wendy asks me.

"That was Jon", I said. " You skied right by him."

So to answer this poll, Jon stops for Wendy, but....:wink:
I bet, if there were powder she'd have dusted him too!:ROTF:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IN MY DEFENSE:

It was very foggy out. :redface:
By that, are you saying you were unable to yell out a score because you weren't sure how awesome the crash was?:laugh:

Jilly

Staff member
By that, are you saying you were unable to yell out a score because you weren't sure how awesome the crash was?
So we'll never know if it was a perfect 10?? :noidea:

robynb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha ha ... my skis over my left shoulder, 2 pr kids' skis over right shoulder, one pair of poles in each hand (between thumb and forefinger), and the last four poles carried between my pinkie/ring/middle fingers. I had only about 150 yd to walk, or I wouldn't have even tried.
what a hoot!

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe what I'm reading !! The thought never even occurred to me to expect DH to carry my stuff. In his defense, he's a bit of a slow poke (what am I talking about....he's a REAL slow poke) so I'm usually halfway to the chair before he's even out of the car.....

As for stopping when I fall, he's a much slower skier than I am (due to a car accident many, many years ago that left him with a bad leg) so I never fall when I'm skiing with him.

When he falls, I always check on him and generally have to help get him to his feet LOL....

In any case, he is a good sport and given the remnants of his car accident he's a good sport to even come skiing and I wouldn't want to interfere with that.

On the other hand, for the days that I don't ski with him I'm with Jilly ..... QuiverQueen, have you got any brothers ?!?

SkiMave

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I forgot to mention.

A little off track, but I actually appreciate this more than DH carrying my gear.......at the end of a long day of skiing when we're at a ski resort, inevitably he will kick out early. We say our 'see ya laters' and arrange to meet at the bar after my last run.

I come off the hill, kick off my skis, go in to said bar and can always count on having my beer and single malt scotch waiting for me..........now that's a nice touch !!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No he doesn't. He once even skied past my yard sale slowing down enough to let me know that: "That's one of those falls that's gonna hurt somewhere new everyday for awhile."

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't believe what I'm reading !! The thought never even occurred to me to expect DH to carry my stuff. In his defense, he's a bit of a slow poke (what am I talking about....he's a REAL slow poke) so I'm usually halfway to the chair before he's even out of the car.....?

Awww, I just saw this I know the pain. Sadly my husband has been sidelined by a back injury and his doctor told him today he could start/not go/but start thinking about skiing again. We were so excited, we have missed him, but then I remembered sitting in the driveway waiting for him for 20 minutes. Then there are always 2-3 more trips back inside, I never knew a guy could forget so many things. And I pack his ski gear for chris sake!

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband is usually so far ahead of me that he doesn't even know if I fall.
I'm basically on my own.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I come off the hill, kick off my skis, go in to said bar and can always count on having my beer and single malt scotch waiting for me..........now that's a nice touch !!

What chivalry!!!! :beer:

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
: - ) Everybody stops to see if I'm okay, and most of the time I don't need help. I good deal of the time I'm ahead of my husband, and he will stop...but no drama is allowed! I have three grown sons who will also stop, but live by the "no drama" rule. My youngest is a girl, and she has learned that rule as well.

As far as carrying skis...I usually have my skis, my poles, my boots, AND the lunch cooler. My second son has a g/f who's a fabulous skier. Apparently their deal is when/if she gets pregnant, he'll carry her equipment!

Last March, I skied with a male friend who offered to carry my skis for me. I was so surprised that I was just short of rude when I said "no, thank you!"

It's all good. : - )

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband is usually so far ahead of me that he doesn't even know if I fall.
I'm basically on my own.

Me too. Although if it's a crowded run and I'm picking my way down, he'll stay behind me so if I fall, he can 'guard' me from other riders 'til I reassemble myself again.

Mariem

Certified Ski Diva
Ha ha ... my skis over my left shoulder, 2 pr kids' skis over right shoulder, one pair of poles in each hand (between thumb and forefinger), and the last four poles carried between my pinkie/ring/middle fingers. I had only about 150 yd to walk, or I wouldn't have even tried.

That's a lotta skis. : - )

Now that my kids are grown I only have to do my skis, my boots, his boots AND the lunch cooler. I AM a pack mule.

I skied with a male friend last year who offered to carry my skis. After he picked me up off the ground, and I stopped laughing, I tried to be a bit more polite when I said, "No, thank you!"

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband usually laughs at me because my falls are pretty funny. My kids are usually very concerned and try to help which turns into a big tangle of legs and skis and poles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna