• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thanksgiving: In the kitchen or on the hill?

pollittcl

Certified Ski Diva
SnowflakeADK, my shifts are currently 24 hrs, 6 days a week, but I finish my current contract next Saturday, and my day off is Friday - hurrah! I'd rather work than cook, anyday.

DawnSuiter

Certified Ski Diva
Quiet dinner at home just the three of us, some movie watching, schlepping around all day in our PJs (a lot like Christmas). I have a rule about going out on Holidays... we don't go out. Of course this'll have to change when we have grandkids, but hopefully they'll live in a ski town ;)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Vail drink is a Manhattan. And my uncle makes them the best so I'll make sure he makes me one (or a few) next weekend. He and I prefer Maker's Mark, my aunt prefers them with Crown.

Okay, honey, I'll definitely be your wingthing ... Manhattans are my favorite, and Maker's is my other favorite. Wild Turkey is my second. DH likes Crown, too, but I prefer the bourbon. (He prefers bourbon, but Crown is acceptable, is what I meant to say.)

Who knew? I seriously had no idea that any other female under 72 drank these.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to my brother's house where my parents and nieces and nephews and son and daughter and her husband and friends will gather. (My dad is 93---and we'll have a couple of Jack Daniels on the rocks with him). I'll ride my bike to the dinner, about 10 miles, unless it's raining/snowing (which is in the forecast).

I will watch the weather. If it's snowing, I'll take a few runs at Brighton in the a.m.. Or, I may run a 5K near my house.

It will be a mix of me time and family time---the best.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
We just got the word that we will be meal delivery people, starting at 10 a.m. on T-Day. Should be interesting! We'll have to get some coolers ready to keep this food warm. Not sure how big the "route" is -- guess we'll find out soon enough!

Our passes aren't blacked out after all (always were in the past), so I guess we'll brave the masses and head out to ski on subsequent days.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing!! (Unless my husband has his way and we head over to Moab for the weekend.)

I've cooked T-Day dinner for years, so I'm not doing that this year. If we are in town (i.e., if I win :D) then like MSL we'll likely volunteer our efforts at the community Thanksgiving dinner. (Which, being in a ski town means it's not until well after the mountain closes for the day.)

I found out that my mid-week pass at Okemo is valid on Thanksgiving, so I've changed my plans for the day.... Assuming conditions are good and driving weather is safe, I'm skiing! Will ski the first half of the day and then head home to cook a laid back Thanksgiving meal to enjoy with my DH. He works in a hospital and apparently the folks who are scheduled to work on Thanksgiving are bringing food in that day (pot luck style) so he won't be too hungry that evening....

Sierra

Certified Ski Diva
Okay, honey, I'll definitely be your wingthing ... Manhattans are my favorite, and Maker's is my other favorite. Wild Turkey is my second. DH likes Crown, too, but I prefer the bourbon. (He prefers bourbon, but Crown is acceptable, is what I meant to say.)

Who knew? I seriously had no idea that any other female under 72 drank these.

No Manhattans for me, but DH is a fan. My only use for bourbon is to make a coat for the turkey with mustard and brown sugar. I use Wild Turkey for it, which he considers sacrilege, so every T-Day we have this fake "fight" with me guarding the booze while I cook (mind you: it is pretty early in the morning for Manhattans!)

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We will be having a small family dinner at home with my family visiting. We would love to be on the mountain especially since we spent last Thanksgiving skiing. My son found pictures of us skiing and brought them to us yesterday ad my husband commented on the date --it was 1 year ago today! No skiing yet in WA:(

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're driving 11 hours on Monday to visit my family for the week. It's still not snowing here so our mountain won't open in time anyway and I'm not keen on driving 2 hours to ski a WROD.

The bonus is that my son is flying down from Bozeman to spend the week with us at my parent's house. I'm really looking forward to seeing him. I'm still not used to only seeing my kid 2 or 3 times a year!

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am driving up to NYC tomorrow and hopefully avoiding some traffic. There are approximately 30 of us :faint: coming in from various parts of the east coast. We are attending the Macy's Day Parade (a cousin is in it) and then we'll all trek over to Queens for dinner at a cousin's.

So I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Albany, NY and he has talked me into driving up after dinner to go skiing Friday morning. (Trust me, it didn't take much to convince me!) Now I have to decide what's good and where to go!! Okemo? Hunter? Killington?

Okemo's website says it has the most terrain open in the Northeast, but dang $72.00 for a lift ticket to a mountain that is not even half open, what is up with that???? and 2 hr drive to boot hmmm :mad2:

I may have to do Hunter instead.

I don't know I can't decide.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just checking out the Hunter Mt. website which led me to a video---it looked crowded. It's snowing like crazy at Killington right now, 12" in the past 24 hrs.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We're roasting a turkey, baby! My family is coming over to help us eat it. I'm passing on a local Turkey Ride, which looks like a pretty cool tradition. Maybe next year, if one of my brothers will host then. :becky:

Probably no skiing for me this weekend at all. Kirkwood would like to open Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm sceptical, as the weather has been so warm the past couple weeks.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I'll be up at the mountain -- it's opening day for ski school. Dinner's getting cooked in advance; DH and DD will put everything in the oven, we'll have a mellow dinner at 5:30 or so, when I return.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Something new for the GG family this year.

Both my sons are not coming home from school this year, they are pretty far away- I am in WA, one is in CO, one in AZ. So it's just me, DH and his disabled sister.

If DH weren't recovering from collarbone surgery I might be doing something for the three us of, but between his shoulder and mine neither of us will be able to get her up the stairs this year. So, we are going "out" to one of the local buffet deals. I wish we could do the really really nice one at the fancy hotel downtown (The Davenport) but $60 for three of us, forget it.
I'd blow the whole thing off and get a sack of tamales from the Mexican deli and stay home and watch movies, but the sis really puts a lot of emotional stock (baggage?) into the holidays. Maybe next year we can go serve at the mission.

I will do the infamous upside down turkey will all the fixins at Christmas time, when all the boys are home. MM mm, turkey, stuffing and cranberry leftovers...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am driving up to NYC tomorrow and hopefully avoiding some traffic. There are approximately 30 of us :faint: coming in from various parts of the east coast. We are attending the Macy's Day Parade (a cousin is in it) and then we'll all trek over to Queens for dinner at a cousin's.

So I just got off the phone with my friend who lives in Albany, NY and he has talked me into driving up after dinner to go skiing Friday morning. (Trust me, it didn't take much to convince me!) Now I have to decide what's good and where to go!! Okemo? Hunter? Killington?

Okemo's website says it has the most terrain open in the Northeast, but dang $72.00 for a lift ticket to a mountain that is not even half open, what is up with that???? and 2 hr drive to boot hmmm :mad2:

I may have to do Hunter instead.

I don't know I can't decide.
Go to Okemo, its worth it! Stop in the ski shop and say hello to SkiDiva while you're there. :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Something new for the GG family this year.

Both my sons are not coming home from school this year, they are pretty far away- I am in WA, one is in CO, one in AZ. So it's just me, DH and his disabled sister.

If DH weren't recovering from collarbone surgery I might be doing something for the three us of, but between his shoulder and mine neither of us will be able to get her up the stairs this year. So, we are going "out" to one of the local buffet deals. I wish we could do the really really nice one at the fancy hotel downtown (The Davenport) but $60 for three of us, forget it.
I'd blow the whole thing off and get a sack of tamales from the Mexican deli and stay home and watch movies, but the sis really puts a lot of emotional stock (baggage?) into the holidays. Maybe next year we can go serve at the mission.

I will do the infamous upside down turkey will all the fixins at Christmas time, when all the boys are home. MM mm, turkey, stuffing and cranberry leftovers...
To make a long story short, we're doing much the same here.
I used to host family thanksgiving dinner at my house every year, alternating between his fam and mine. A few years ago his cousin suggested dinner at the Grand Traverse Resort, so we went. My family dinners remained the home variety, but alternating between sisters houses, and moms.
This year for the first time, his family and mine are getting together to do dinner at the Grand Traverse Resort.
Breaks a lot of tradition, but I'm looking forward to a relaxing time and having everyone together.

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wouldn't miss Thanksgiving in the kitchen--even skiing (plus we have zero snow, so no decision really!). Thanksgiving is my very favorite holiday and the turkey's already been in the over a couple of hours. We've got the parade on (are you marching? these bands are so much fun to watch!), we'll have a traditional dinner early afternoon, then sack out to watch football. All in all, a wonderful day to count your blessings with loved ones.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanksgiving day, I'll be celebrating with the small contingent of family I have in the PNW. My cousin is a FABULOUS cook. I'll be bringing some brownies. Friday, I'll be hiking with a local hiking club. So much more appealing (to me, at least) than shopping. And Saturday I'll be skiing, taking advantage of the fact that I'll be in Portland, with trusty Mt. Hood, and not in Seattle where no ski areas are open yet!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Neither for me. My leg's not ready to ski yet. Even if it were, my hill closed for today so the employees could spend the day with their families (or however they please) and I'm all for it, let em enjoy the holiday.

As for the kitchen, my family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving, so I'm just gonna take my kid brother to see Bolt 3D. Oughtta be fun. I'll be hitting my friend's grandma's house to see family of hers who're here for the holiday later tonight.

Hope everyone has a great one!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga