• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thanksgiving: In the kitchen or on the hill?

Rossi

Certified Ski Diva
Really tried to pass Thanksgiving off to one of the kids, no such luck. It's my B-day so don't feel like cooking since I've been doing it for years and having people over. Their suggestion, we'll go out to eat, but I have to admit I love the smell of turkey in the oven all the leftovers and sitting around watching football,going out is not the same. So I'll be cooking! This weekend is opening day at MT Snow so hopefully will find some time between shopping for TG to go skiing.

OuiSkiToo

Certified Ski Diva
Heading to the ski house Wed. night with all the fixins! Thursday morning make stuffing while watching the parade, put the turkey in the oven & hit the hill!!! Woohooo!!! Can't wait! It's such a great day to ski - slopes are usually empty!
After a couple Bloody Mary's in the base lodge, back to a warm, cozy, great-smelling ski house & a great dinner w/other friends that have no family in the area.
We started a tradition we call the "Orphan's Dinner" back in the 80's when there were about 10 of us with no family on the East coast. Turkey dinner @ the ski house!! We're psyched :smile:

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No skiing yet for me and hearing reports of different mountains opening, it's already starting to get on my nerves. :mad:
We'll be spending the holiday with my in-laws, since my family is back in Canada. I will contribute a home made pumpkin pie.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, y'all can thank my ancestor, Sarah Josepha Hale, for your day off. :smile:

I will be driving up to Vail Thursday morning and depending on snow conditions either skiing with family or doing my first 5k. Oddly, Eagle-Vail's Turkey Trot starts about 5 houses down the lane from my family's place and is being organized by neighbors. I'd drive up Wednesday night but my coach plans to work us hard Wednesday night to give us more room for turkey dinner. :laugh:

After that we're having dinner with family friends. I'm taking my favorite chipotle mashed sweet potatoes. :D

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. There is something so satisfying about it all coming together after the last big push at the end. It was a big right of passage among the (slightly overcontrolling, micromanaging...love you mom and grammy) women of our family to be the one in charge of delegating responsibility. Usually DH skis or goes for a hike during the day, but I always want to be in the kitchen with my mom and grandma who are two of my favorite people in the world.

This year we will be with DH's parents in the country. My MIL has an enormous kitchen with a double oven. I can't wait!!! I end up preparing all of the meals with DH's family, so I'm sure I'll do most of the cooking next week. I'm cooking all of my MIL's recipes though, instead of my own, so we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck.

altagirl

Staff member
I also love cooking an enormous Thanksgiving dinner. Usually I still manage to ski though - I start cooking before 5am, get everything ready to go, then pop the turkey in the oven and head up to ski for a few hours, come home and finish the rest of the cooking. Lately we're up to 2 turkeys, so I do one the day before, carve it up and stick all that meat in the fridge and do the second one on Thanksgiving day.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just firmed up our plans. Going to sis's on T-day, the heading north from there to ski Fri-Sunday - luckily lots of cold weather so there is tons of snow making. Hubby and I really really wanted to have a quiet one at the ski house, just us and kids...but kids don't really eat the big turkey meal, and they really wanted to see cousins, etc... Blowing off my 25th HS reunion this weekend.

MSL - you are wonderful to help all the rural folks. I wonder how some people can make it up there. Thankfully oil prices have fallen - THAT would have been incomprehensible to me. Lots may not make it w/o help like yours. Nearly every time I hit the Bethel IGA I put in a couple bags of food in the food pantry box. I work so much I can't give time, so have to give stuff and $ instead...some day I hope to give time. Feel fortunate to still have good jobs, so part of my work effort is spread to those who don't.

Sierra

Certified Ski Diva
In the kitchen. No hill for me yet. We are hosting T-Day on Saturday to accommodate some folks coming from Ottawa). So the plan is as follows:

Thursday: Turkey Trot 5k, bake pies, take it easy. Eat anything but turkey.

Friday: Swimming and probably Black Friday shopping. What can I say... I am a better at handling crowds without skis attached.:redface:

Saturday: Early rise, put turkey in the oven, remind my DH that the bourbon is for the turkey's glaze:nono:. Big dinner with friends and family. Nap.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe with my dog, Avalanche, in the mornning, a few runs at Breck depending on the crowds, cook a veggie dish for a gathering at my friend's house in Dillon. Off to a hut trip over the weekend in the moutains above Leadville. A perfect Thanksgiving weekend.

That does sound perfect, with an added turkey!

I'm going to my aunt & uncles (and a bunch of little cousins) for mid-day T dinner. It should be a lot of fun...when I asked Aunt Lynn "what should I bring or do" she replied "keep the kids occupied!" So, I will. : ) I love other people's kids! I'll try to get some skiing in over the weekend, too.

Let it :snow: Let it :snow: Let it :snow: !

Christy

Angel Diva
We were planning on skiing up at Mt Baker, which is usually open on T day, but unless we get some big storms this next week it doesn't look like we will! We thought about a last minute trip up to Whistler, but their mid-mountain base is only 20". There's still lots of fun stuff we could do with a long weekend, like maybe head up to Vancouver and binge on great Chinese food. We don't feel like hanging out with my relatives so we're skipping that no matter what. :smile:

If we stay in town I'm sure they'll need extra help at the city's animal shelter, where I volunteer with the dogs, to cover the out of town volunteers, so I'd do that.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
remind my DH that the bourbon is for the turkey's glaze:nono:. Big dinner with friends and family. Nap.

Our favorite holiday drink is the "Scarlett O'Hara" (I probably mentioned this somewhere else as well):

Southern Comfort over a bit of ice
freshly squeezed lime juice
cranberry juice cocktail

YUM, warms ya right up after a nice brisk walk or ski in the refreshing winter air!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Vail drink is a Manhattan. And my uncle makes them the best so I'll make sure he makes me one (or a few) next weekend. He and I prefer Maker's Mark, my aunt prefers them with Crown.

jwcomputergirl

Certified Ski Diva
Caribbean Thanksgiving

We'll be on St. John, USVI. By BFF lives there so we'll be cooking up a storm at her house and slurping down rum punches. I know it's not skiing, but somehow I'll manage to get through it. :smile:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have a great time snorkeling with the green sea turtles! I've been there once, it's beautiful.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Until yesterday, I had planned to be on the hill. Last night I called Mom just to check in, and she said she's doing Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in a veeerrrry long time. This may be the last Thanksgiving I have to spend with Grandma, so that's where I'll be - with my closest friends and family. She said she'd make it worth my while (like she needs to :rolleyes:) by making Corned Beef and Cabbage (I'm allergic to bird), and by paying for my gas. Sweet! :thumbsup:

Then.....
Skiing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!!!!

pollittcl

Certified Ski Diva
Although I'm originally English I always celebrated Thanksgiving when my parents lived in the US - usually by watching the parade on TV and having a proper meal at lunchtime (the turkey was usually saved for Xmas as is traditional in the UK). One my own in the US I usually get invited somewhere by various friends which has been interesting at times!

This year I'll be working - in Dubai! But I will probably ski at the snowdome on Friday or Saturday.

I find the holiday season fairly difficult - I'm usually in the US while my family is in the UK. We try to celebrate our family when we are together which is usually during the summer when I use my parents house as my work base. And working in the snow industry means I work winter holidays anyway. Actually, I usually end up working most holidays anyway - my work doesn't stop because it's a holiday.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Neither for me. I'm working 12 hr shifts both Thuresday and Friday. :hurt:

I don't exactly loooooove cooking (no domestic diva here) but spending time w/ the family around the table makes it worth it. Anyway...much better than the alternative....WORK....dirty four letter word!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga