• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Pandemic

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
People with in-state plates can travel elsewhere and return too. There are plenty of people at Sunday River coming up from Portland, ME which has COVID stats very similar to MA.
Fact check:
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
All Boston metro counties, including Hillsborough, NH, have significantly higher rates of COVID per 100k than Cumberland County, ME.

Additionally, testing volume in Maine is robust, and mask compliance is high, especially in the more populous counties.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
All Boston metro counties
Yes, Boston Metro is high. I don't come from Boston Metro and neither do other people I know that come here...we come from small towns 30+ miles west of Boston; my town doesn't even have a grocery store. Yes, my county is high - it includes the 2nd largest city in New England - we are guilty by association. Mask adherence is huge in comparison to what I am personally witnessing in the area of Maine I am in. Testing in MA, for all those like myself that have waited hours in our car in line, is also being heavily utilized in order to be compliant. I have been in Maine, except for one week, since before Thanksgiving and I tested in both directions when I had a round trip to MA and back to ME. Those I know going back and forth are also testing. Perhaps I just know super conscientious people.

I stand by my assertion that I am far more comfortable sitting on the chair with a masked person from out of state that tested to come here than a "local" person that did not. The guy I shared a chair with from Portland did not need to test and he promptly pulled down his face covering while we were on the chair. I will not make that mistake again.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Yes, Boston Metro is high.

If you're looking at totals per 100k, it's high. But if you're looking at 7-day averages...totals aren't too much different for Boston-area vs. Southern Maine. Source: Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I've been on jobsites in Mass, Maine, NH, and VT over the past few months...I'd agree with you that mask compliance I've experienced is higher in Mass than any of the northern New England states. Though, it's gotten significantly better everywhere.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also not from the Boston metro area, though I know everyone always thinks "Boston" when I say I'm from MA when out of state. Haha I am an hour's drive away from Boston. I live in the same county as @lisamamot so also have a high county rate due to another major city outside of Boston, but that city is a 30 minute drive from me and I never go to either of these areas so not really telling in the least for my situation :noidea:. I've tested weekly for the last 8 weeks (well 7 times since I stayed in ME over the holiday week) and I'm happy to do that and feel most comfortable with other MA folks who I know are doing the same. I also know for a fact that our mask compliance in MA is WAY better than what's happening in the towns around Sunday river..

I get my overall state data from https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/ which MA also uses to set our travel restrictions etc. I've pulled out some of it below for comparison of MA, NH, and ME. This is as of 12/30/2020. My real head scratcher is why NH is still allowed into ME without any restrictions, you'd think that would be the more alarming one for locals versus MA where we've seemed to stabilize a bit even though numbers are high in general, but whatever.

Overall though, I don't go inside almost ever when I'm in ME and I'm not overly concerned with riding chairlifts spaced out and standing in lines with people from wherever who are masked outside. I also know my status as of this morning is negative after 8 days straight of skiing over the holiday week. Yay.

Massachusetts

14 day trend of Covid+ -1%Flat
% of test target 56%
ICU occupied 74% Elevated
New cases per million per day 677
Covid+ rate 5.4% Flat

Maine

14 day trend of Covid+ 50%Increasing
% of test target 54%
ICU occupied 69%Normal
New cases per million per day 321
Covid+ rate 5.6%Increasing

New Hampshire

14 day trend of Covid+ 16%Increasing
% of test target 27%
ICU occupied 60%Normal
New cases per million per day 587
Covid+ rate 11.1%Increasing

yogiskier

Angel Diva
From my reading of the Mass.gov site, to follow the rules after a day trip you should fill out the travel form and quarantine until you get a negative test result, but you can get tested after your return. So basically, self- isolate except for going out to get tested until you get the result.

Other states’ travel restrictions include exemptions for trips that last less than 24 hours. Does Massachusetts have a similar exemption?

• No, there is no specific exemption for trips that last less than 24 hours. Such short trips may be covered by exemptions like the ones for transitory travel or commuting for work or school. The full list of exemptions is here. Travelers arriving from places other than lower-risk States must fill out the Travel Form and self-quarantine or obtain a negative test result if they do not meet one of these exemptions.

Thanks @diymom ! I've scheduled my test for tomorrow morning :smile:

Jesski

Certified Ski Diva
I am looking forward to trying again after the vacation ends. So lucky to be able to ski midweek and avoid the crowds!

My experience thus far at Hunter was not promising. I skied both the day before, and the day after, the huge Northeast snowstorm. (Remember that? It was right before the even-more-huge rainstorm that washed away much or all of the snow.) The day before was nice, no big crowds, people generally acting human. The powder day was a bit nightmarish. Much of the mountain wasn't open, crowding the lifts terribly, and the human factor was, er, problematic. Starting next week, I'll be sampling Hunter, Windham, and Belleayre with the Hudson Valley Ski Club, including a free lesson! Here's hoping!
Hi! I'm new here and saw your post and was wondering if you had any takeaways from skiing at Belleayre? We are going for the first time from NYC this week after our Hunter trip was cancelled (mountain closed) and wondering how crowds might be etc. Looking to gain confidence on easy slopes right now (was flattened by a snowboarder at Hunter last year from behind who didn't see/pay attention to the signs to slow down at the end/bottleneck of a crowded run and would love to not repeat that!) . Any tips/info would be great!

newboots

Angel Diva
Funny! I just discussed some of this on the other thread, the one about crowds and reservations, I think. Where you posted! :laughter:

Other thoughts: you can boot up in the lodge and put your stuff where they check bags.
It’s crowded inside at lunch. We avoided it.
It was a luxury to boot up indoors!

The rest rooms (downstairs) are clean and were uncrowded.

I wrote a little about the trails on the other thread. Most were icy on the steep parts, but we weren’t on the snow at first bell. The news the night before had distracted us a bit! :eek: Earlier would be better, but it seemed to be a pretty solid base that was likely quickly skied off. However, you and I are Eastern skiers so no whining in this post.

I was trying to comment on some of the trails but I can’t read the names on the map, and I don’t remember them. (I only have my phone.). But it’s likely different ones will be open anyway.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Went out again today and this time I tried to pay more specific attention to what people were wearing on their faces. It seemed that if people were making some sort of effort that was good enough - the only person I saw getting told about masks was totally bare faced, and had to even dig for the buff/gaiter to pull up over his face.

That said, however, it did seem that the majority of people had something covering their faces, including noses most of the time. Likely as good as it’s going to get.

But today's outing brought our cost down to $50 a day and it's still early January, so plenty of time to work that down more!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had my 1st day at Loveland this week. I've been watching their base webcam to see when lift lines would decrease.

First observation -- Booting up in the car is a no-go. I can get the ACL brace on fine, but not the boots. At all. It was mid-20s, sunny, and not windy, so changing outside was not that bad as long as I and the occupants of the next vehicle coordinated our door openings. I stashed slippers and gloves in my pockets so they wouldn't be ice-cold for the drive back. I hate having stuffed pockets. Small lockers seem to be accessible near the restrooms, so I'll do my brace-and-bootup inside and pay the $8 for the convenience.

Second observation -- Last season, I was able to ski onto lifts a lot mid-week. Day 1, I could do that only on Lift 2 which serves the easiest green at the Basin area so I just lapped that. If there is no place to take even a 10-minute warm-up break, my ski day will be shorter and I'm not willing to spend a larger % of a shorter day standing in line, masks or no masks. My choice of trails this season will be governed by lift lines.

Next Friday, I start private lessons with the instructor I met last season. I'll go at least once before then to try out the locker situation and get my timing down so I'm ready for a 9 AM lesson. Later on, if I find out I can actually get parking late morning, I'll probably opt for afternoon lessons instead.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI - I find that all people are wearing masks at Okemo. The ones that don't are politely but firmly asked by lift attendants (or others) to put one on/pull it up. Lines are sometimes slow and get a bit long because, of course, they are loading fewer people to keep the spacing. Overall, as a ski instructor, I'm comfortable with the protocols in place. Vail has been very clear about safety first.

Yes, the ski areas are understaffed without the J1 workers and without many of the older workers. I'm grateful for the ski instructors who agree to run the "magic carpet" and check passes for reservations. We all pitch in.

I'm also pleased to hear things like this: One instructor I know had a lesson cancelled because her guests went home unexpectedly. They had found out that a neighbor had tested positive back home. They packed up and left the same day. Good for them!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stashed slippers and gloves in my pockets so they wouldn't be ice-cold for the drive back. I hate having stuffed pockets.
Get an insulated cooler bag to put your slippers, gloves, ear muffs, etc. in the car while you ski. It will prevent them from getting cold. You can also add one of those microwaveable heat pad in there before you leave your home and that will keep your stuff toasty warm when you return!!

newboots

Angel Diva
Good for Schweitzer! Sounds like the evening crowd is somewhat obnoxious.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Get an insulated cooler bag to put your slippers, gloves, ear muffs, etc. in the car while you ski. It will prevent them from getting cold. You can also add one of those microwaveable heat pad in there before you leave your home and that will keep your stuff toasty warm when you return!!
Ooooh - never thought of this!

Jilly

Staff member
I think there are 8 resorts around Montreal and MSA at Quebec City that will not be having night skiing for the next 4 weeks. No sliding nights at Tremblant and no tubing in St. Jovite. Curfew.

I like the message on the Tremblant site: "Maintaining operations is based on joint compliance with sanitary measures."

In other words....do it right, or we might get shut down!!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where do you ski? At Okemo, both group lessons and privates use a separate lessons line.
At Loveland.

The lessons I took last season were midweek. The lift line was 6 or 8 deep, so there wouldn't be a lot of benefit to bypassing that. But I didn't a sign for ski school.

With the potential for delays, they may handle it differently this season. We'll see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga