• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Pandemic

marzNC

Angel Diva
I always had the impression that New England folks ski no matter what, that they aren't snow snobs that will sit the day out because it hasn't skied for a few days. But maybe that's just the tough and accomplished women here. :smile:
You're correct that there are plenty of folks in the northeast who head out to the slopes in less than ideal conditions. However, there are also plenty of other city folks who are more likely to add in an extra day midweek or take another weekend trip after a good snowstorm that isn't followed by r*** and a hard freeze.

My guess is that after a snowstorm in the cities in the upper midwest, there are more people who decide to go skiing. Those people ski is far colder temps than in New England or the Rockies, including during night sessions.

lucy

Angel Diva
So true. Cold is relative. I thought I was a hardcore skier girl until I skied Banff.

Snowbird has a strict mask policy, no gaitors or buffs allowed without an actual mask. Masks are required in all public areas, on the lift, and in the tram. But attendance is moderate due to cold, dry conditions; challenges with the new parking reservation system; and steep day pass prices. On a bluebird day, the masks usually get dropped while skiing and then yanked back into place at the bottom of the run.

Snowbird staff is highly visible as they check for mask compliance and they are ever ready with a stash of spare, complimentary masks. So far, there’s plenty of room to spread out, tram is capped at 25 people, and you can choose to share or not share a chair with others.

newboots

Angel Diva
Sounds like Snowbird has their act together! I hope all resorts can follow suit.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't really agree with the blanket no gaiters or buff policy. There are plenty now made for this athletic purposes with multiple layers and also plenty of regular masks that are complete crap so.. I feel like it's a holdover from the debunked study that came out months ago on buffs and not really a valid restriction. As long as people are covered without holes, I'm happy. I personally like some buff type of face coverings that have ear hoops to easily keep them in place while allowing the easy up and down access if chosen while skiing. Some days I can ski and just leave a mask or buff up the whole time, and others when we are skiing hard and doing lots of bump runs etc. I heat up and need some fresh air/deeper unrestricted breathes before getting to the lift line area where I need to cover up again.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied with a mask on the whole time yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. I didn't even think of it. No goggle fogging issue. Pretty comfortable. Unexpected benefit that I didn't need to use any sunscreen.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
From my reading of the Mass.gov site, to follow the rules after a day trip you should fill out the travel form and quarantine until you get a negative test result, but you can get tested after your return. So basically, self- isolate except for going out to get tested until you get the result.

Other states’ travel restrictions include exemptions for trips that last less than 24 hours. Does Massachusetts have a similar exemption?

• No, there is no specific exemption for trips that last less than 24 hours. Such short trips may be covered by exemptions like the ones for transitory travel or commuting for work or school. The full list of exemptions is here. Travelers arriving from places other than lower-risk States must fill out the Travel Form and self-quarantine or obtain a negative test result if they do not meet one of these exemptions.
My understanding is that is Ma resident goes to NH for recreation then you have to quarantine/test upon return. Exceptions are for essential travel. It’s makes no sense in that you can eat inside a restaurant in Ma and not quarantine but someone like me who doesn’t go indoors but goes skiing in Nh is technically required to quarantine/test after going to NH. I live very much in the inner ring of burns by Boston. Our infection rates locally are much lower than some out of the way burbs. I never see massless people in my immediate town.

Jilly

Staff member
We just got stay at home orders for 28 days starting Thursday.....no travel except groceries, medical, work....

elemmac

Angel Diva
Not to be a broken record, but I sure do appreciate my line skipping privileges on weekends in the core part of the day right now.

I normally have no problem with lessons skipping lines, but the other weekend was ridiculous. I think it was the adult program, that must’ve just been kicking off for the morning, and they hadn’t split off into smaller groups. The lift attendants let, maybe 30-40 people skip the line in a row (it felt like 100 people...but I know I’m overestimating with that). Normally they let one group go at a time, which is a maximum of like 10 people. Another smaller group came up right behind and they let them go after one rotation through the “public” lines.

Beyond frustrating to be in line when that happened. I was ready to shoot off an angry email as I was standing in line, but decided against it. If it happens again, I’ll definitely be voicing my opinion.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I normally have no problem with lessons skipping lines, but the other weekend was ridiculous. I think it was the adult program, that must’ve just been kicking off for the morning, and they hadn’t split off into smaller groups. The lift attendants let, maybe 30-40 people skip the line in a row (it felt like 100 people...but I know I’m overestimating with that). Normally they let one group go at a time, which is a maximum of like 10 people. Another smaller group came up right behind and they let them go after one rotation through the “public” lines.

Beyond frustrating to be in line when that happened. I was ready to shoot off an angry email as I was standing in line, but decided against it. If it happens again, I’ll definitely be voicing my opinion though.

In normal years the adult program meets at North Peak and the groups all head out in different directions from there, which eliminates the issue you are describing. This year they are having us meet at Barker (not really sure why this is to be honest, and how it helps with Covid stuff?). So at 9:30 am when the groups set out they all end up going up Barker and dispersing from there.

I think you are correct that there are probably 30-40 participants this year, usually it's around 60 but many opted out for pandemic related reasons. I agree this would be frustrating to stand in line for (definitely take note of the 9:30 am time for Barker!). I think it's probably the same sort of thing at any base where group programs meetup though when they head out? So at least it's only once in a day that this would happen at Barker anyway. Other than that throughout the day each group I've been in usually only takes 2-4 chairs due to not filling them and people's comfort levels. I don't recall a pause for public lines when we've left in the morning because often people are all mixed and then break back into their smaller groups at the top. I haven't really paid that close of attention to that though to be honest. I am pretty sure it hasn't been a break every 10 people though.. I usually just shuffle along and go or stop when I'm told to and I don't recall much of a wait. I'll have to pay more attention this weekend when we go to leave.

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think it's probably the same sort of thing at any base where group programs meetup though when they head out?

I’ll definitely note that 9:30 start time...that sounds about right for when we were waiting. Normally I feel like they let one group go (2-10 ppl), then let a round of the “normal” lines go, then another lesson group...and so on. This was by far the most I’ve ever seen go at once...at any mountain for that matter.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
The biggest thing that has me peeved about pandemic skiing are the idiots who skin and don't know how to do it safely. Thanks to the resort's liberal uphill policy, people are skinning all the time. Some people stop in places where they can't be seen; others are traversing without regard to downhill traffic. I sure hope that Sunday River takes a lesson from Saddleback, which has banned uphill traffic and intends to open a dedicated uphill travel trail or begins to limit skiing to 1 hour before and 1 hour after lifts open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna