• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Pandemic

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Greater Sacramento (somehow that includes Lake Tahoe) has lifted their stay at home order for visitors. However, Bay Area (somehow includes Santa Cruz County) has extended theirs. And, I was skiing last week. So there's that.

Jilly

Staff member
If they're not actively policing, I'd just go. But if they require a signature/affavit from me saying I'm something I'm not, for example an essential worker in the healthcare industry, I'd have a problem doing that.

Thought I might have had an excuse....got a call from a customer in Ottawa, he's short some items. And they would fit nicely in my SUV. Damn he found them. So much for that idea. Ottawa is about 10-15 min from the Quebec border. Once over....
The potential fines or consequences for any American travel restrictions are quite different than in other countries. Think I heard that even jail time is considered a possibility in Canada.

I've heard, $750, then $1000 and up to $6000. And could be 1 year jail.

As for stay at home and not doing it.....politicians and CEO's of hospitals...lots of people going to get warm...Hawaii, Florida, Greece...There is a interesting article about an Alberta politician that went on vacation, yet a little boy couldn't go on he's "Make a Wish" trip to Disney because of Covid. The kid might not make it to go as he's sick with something terminal.

But this is getting too political....back to skiing..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I couldn’t decide in which of the various threads to post this. WSJ in Tahoe City and Truckee, CA. https://on.wsj.com/3q9NEps
Good video thanks for posting. As of a couple of days ago, Lake Tahoe and the Greater Sacramento area lifted their shelter in place orders and visitors are now allowed as well as outdoor dining. However, those in the Bay Area down to Santa Cruz and Monterey are still operating in a shelter in place mode. There is no enforcement though.......

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I just watched the Weather Channel doing a Skype interview with the Killington communications manager. Looks like it’s snowing at Killington, at least! It looks like it has stopped outside my window. As long as it’s not rain I can handle it stopping snow!

newboots

Angel Diva
I spoke to Mr. Blizzard. The power was out and he says it's heavy, wet snow. But good news! The polar vortex promises snow and cold in late January and in February.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will be curious to hear your experience with the lesson at Loveland! I've been up there ~10 times so far this season, and haven't seen a dedicated lessons line, but maybe lessons can skip in via the ski patrol entry? Otherwise, you get a lot fewer runs for your money during the lesson.

I noticed that you stuck with Lift 2 -- did you check out Ptarmigan or Lift 6? When I went up on one of the holiday Saturdays, the lines were absolutely unmanageable on both, but Sunday last week we did well on Ptarmigan and Lift 3, while Chet's was mobbed. We really need a couple more good storms so that they can open up Lift 8 and get folks more spread across the mountain.

I skied at Loveland on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week. Friday was the lesson.

Monday, I skied off of Lift 2, 6, and Ptarmigan, depending on lift lines. There was about a 1- to 3-chair wait on those lifts. Based on that, I decided a 10-chair wait was my limit for Chet's. Only one time did I see Chet's line looking like less than a 10-chair wait. I wasn't in position to get over there, so I rode up Lift 2, skied down, and Chet's was backed up again. A 10-chair wait is not that long, but with the pandemic, I'd rather spend less time in the line and more time on a slower lift.

Wednesday, there was little wait at any chair. I skied off of Chet's, 2, 6, and Ptarmigan. The biggest wait of the day was my standing in Bennett's Bowl, trying to figure out in the flatt-ish light which path had the least bumps in it. There were some serious skier-made moguls back there. Ugh.

Friday, there was little wait. We skied off Chet's and Lift 6 and didn't wait more than 3 chairs. My ski lesson started at 9 AM. The real lesson started at 5:30 when I had to get up. I'll be doing afternoon lessons from here on out.

Regarding booting up ... Ugh. Just Ugh. I mentioned using their lockers so I could avoid putting on brace and boots at the car. I tried one day ... No go. Yes, the lockers are accessible in that you can touch them. But they're shut off, so you can't use them. I was not going to trek all the way out to the car and back to store my regular boots and gloves so they could get ice-cold. There are signs stating you can't leave personal items anywhere, but I found a tiny spot in a building where I thought they'd be left alone. I won't make a habit of it, but it worked for that one day. Prior to doing that, I checked with an employee. He offered to turn his back while I dropped them behind some pole or something outside. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that they'd be cold when I picked them up and that I'm more sissy than that.

I have noticed -- and appreciated -- that the guys directing parking are leaving a lot more space between vehicles. That's really helpful with all of us dressing and booting up out there. Probably also helps them limit the number of vehicles.

newboots

Angel Diva
I wanted Yak Trax because they were supposed to be easier to put on, but there were none to be found. But the Cattrax that I did find said to soak them in hot water, put them on, and keep them on in the cold. They remain stretched out and were not difficult to put on at all. FAR easier than my microspikes or Yak Tracks for shoes. There are still CatTrax out there. Just remember to take them off before you try to click in! :rotf:

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied at Loveland on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this week. Friday was the lesson.

Monday, I skied off of Lift 2, 6, and Ptarmigan, depending on lift lines. There was about a 1- to 3-chair wait on those lifts. Based on that, I decided a 10-chair wait was my limit for Chet's. Only one time did I see Chet's line looking like less than a 10-chair wait. I wasn't in position to get over there, so I rode up Lift 2, skied down, and Chet's was backed up again. A 10-chair wait is not that long, but with the pandemic, I'd rather spend less time in the line and more time on a slower lift.

Wednesday, there was little wait at any chair. I skied off of Chet's, 2, 6, and Ptarmigan. The biggest wait of the day was my standing in Bennett's Bowl, trying to figure out in the flatt-ish light which path had the least bumps in it. There were some serious skier-made moguls back there. Ugh.

Friday, there was little wait. We skied off Chet's and Lift 6 and didn't wait more than 3 chairs. My ski lesson started at 9 AM. The real lesson started at 5:30 when I had to get up. I'll be doing afternoon lessons from here on out.

Regarding booting up ... Ugh. Just Ugh. I mentioned using their lockers so I could avoid putting on brace and boots at the car. I tried one day ... No go. Yes, the lockers are accessible in that you can touch them. But they're shut off, so you can't use them. I was not going to trek all the way out to the car and back to store my regular boots and gloves so they could get ice-cold. There are signs stating you can't leave personal items anywhere, but I found a tiny spot in a building where I thought they'd be left alone. I won't make a habit of it, but it worked for that one day. Prior to doing that, I checked with an employee. He offered to turn his back while I dropped them behind some pole or something outside. I couldn't bring myself to tell him that they'd be cold when I picked them up and that I'm more sissy than that.

I have noticed -- and appreciated -- that the guys directing parking are leaving a lot more space between vehicles. That's really helpful with all of us dressing and booting up out there. Probably also helps them limit the number of vehicles.

Thank you for sharing! We were up at Loveland today and the lines were longer than you had during the week (to be expected during a holiday weekend, I guess), but mask adherence was also better than it has been, which was really good to see. They've also added a staff member to supervise the line at Ptarmigan (which never has much of a line in a normal season), which was a big improvement.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loveland has an employee posted at the stairway from the parking lot to check for mask compliance. We are required to wear masks even when we're outside and not in lift lines.

I wear a cloth mask and pull my neck gaiter up over it. That works well for normal days. It didn't work as well during the lesson. I'll probably wear the gaiter lower during lessons so my speech is not so muffled. Sometimes I feel as if I'm yelling. Yelling is associated with negative emotions. I don't want to inadvertently trigger negative or stress responses in my brain or muscles during lessons.

@StayWarm -- I feel for you, having to brave the weekend/holiday crowds. I am retired and have a midweek pass. Even with that, I watched the webcams to see when the holiday madness was over before I started my season.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I finally braved the resort and went up to Brighton the other day. I must say, masks were worn by all in the lines---no rebels, no problems and no one was forced to ride with someone they did not drive up with.

Snow pack was thin (about 33 inch base) but fresh snow made for some fun runs. I've been x/c skiing all season, so my quads were not ready and I felt the burn!

I miss my routine as I would hang out at the clinic (family ties) and meet up with folks in the lodge... But masking is not an issue----except for the goggle fog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna