• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the Pandemic

MissySki

Angel Diva
The biggest thing that has me peeved about pandemic skiing are the idiots who skin and don't know how to do it safely. Thanks to the resort's liberal uphill policy, people are skinning all the time. Some people stop in places where they can't be seen; others are traversing without regard to downhill traffic. I sure hope that Sunday River takes a lesson from Saddleback, which has banned uphill traffic and intends to open a dedicated uphill travel trail or begins to limit skiing to 1 hour before and 1 hour after lifts open.

3 times now I’ve been scared silly on Ecstasy coming around a blind corner to people skinning up on skier’s left. Never expect that to happen since it’s one of 3 trails that’s specifically called out in the uphill policy as not allowing uphill. Now I’m really careful skiing there. I’m okay with people skinning during the day, I just wish SR would have more standard procedures for people to follow. For example, it’d be nice to call out which side people should be on and also be more obvious with labeling the trails that don’t allow uphill on the mountain. I’m told there are signs saying no uphill on the specific trails, but i’ve never noticed them myself..

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I just wish SR would have more standard procedures for people to follow. For example, it’d be nice to call out which side people should be on
Agreed! I skin up on the right (skiers left) because that is what I have seen the majority of people do. Wish there were additional details in the uphill policy, especially for those of us that are just starting out.

Jilly

Staff member
Skiing is essential! It’s mental health! No way to catch a virus skiing down a mountain.

There is a statement about exercise.....you're allowed out to exercise....does that mean I can drive to Quebec and ski? Ontario shut down skiing on Christmas day. Now it's going to be Family Day (American President's Day) before we can ski here. There are many small Mom and Pop resorts that are not going to make it!!

Wish I lived closer to the Quebec border. My friends in Ottawa are only 15 min and they are over. If the authorities don't catch them out, they're good once they hit that bridge till 8pm...

elemmac

Angel Diva
I’m told there are signs saying no uphill on the specific trails, but i’ve never noticed them myself..

I noticed a random “No Uphill Skinning” (or something like that) in the Locke lift line the other day....seemed like a really odd location for it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
There is a statement about exercise.....you're allowed out to exercise....does that mean I can drive to Quebec and ski? Ontario shut down skiing on Christmas day. Now it's going to be Family Day (American President's Day) before we can ski here. There are many small Mom and Pop resorts that are not going to make it!!

Wish I lived closer to the Quebec border. My friends in Ottawa are only 15 min and they are over. If the authorities don't catch them out, they're good once they hit that bridge till 8pm...
If you get to the condo before Thursday night you can claim you got caught on the wrong side of the border and had to stay . . .

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gore is doing a very good job I think. I'm only there midweek so not crazy busy. Everyone I've seen is respectful there are mask police in the lodge, out on the patio, at the lift line entrance. and even in the top warming hut/bathroom. guests will motion to others to pull up their mask. I feel quite safe. This video just came to me, explains it all quite well an what works as a mask and what doesn't. there is an extra booting up tent, midweek I can boot up in the back room w/windows open and limited seating.

https://www.adirondackhub.com/story...pJobID=1920954007&spReportId=MTkyMDk1NDAwNwS2

MissySki

Angel Diva
I noticed a random “No Uphill Skinning” (or something like that) in the Locke lift line the other day....seemed like a really odd location for it.

Interesting! I keep meaning to look for them, but forget when I’m actually skiing.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Interesting! I keep meaning to look for them, but forget when I’m actually skiing.
I have seen that one several times on the Locke lift, but it also says No Snowboarding, lol. It was turned around the other day and looked like it was being used to block an aisle as opposed to communicate information.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have seen that one several times on the Locke lift, but it also says No Snowboarding, lol. It was turned around the other day and looked like it was being used to block an aisle as opposed to communicate information.

Have you seen the ones for Ecstasy, Grand Rapids, or Kansas?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Have you seen the ones for Ecstasy, Grand Rapids, or Kansas?
No - just one at the lift which makes zero sense, especially the snowboard piece?! This is Sunday River not MRG.

Jilly

Staff member
If you get to the condo before Thursday night you can claim you got caught on the wrong side of the border and had to stay . . .

Don't think I didn't think like that...except it would have to be today!! Goes into effect at midnight. But there is work to do here, so I'll get it done. Then I might just take a week off later when we're allowed to move farther afield. I can probably get to the cottage, but it's not really operational. Though it would only take a day to get it there. And get the neighbour to plow the road in.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If they're not actively policing, I'd just go. But if they require a signature/affavit from me saying I'm something I'm not, for example an essential worker in the healthcare industry, I'd have a problem doing that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If they're not actively policing, I'd just go. But if they require a signature/affavit from me saying I'm something I'm not, for example an essential worker in the healthcare industry, I'd have a problem doing that.

In MA essential workers have to have an official form from their employers. My significant other was instructed to keep it in his car at all times when we had been more in a stay at home advisory with only essential businesses allowed to open. However, no one was being stopped either, at least that I heard about.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The potential fines or consequences for any American travel restrictions are quite different than in other countries. Think I heard that even jail time is considered a possibility in Canada.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The potential fines or consequences for any American travel restrictions are quite different than in other countries. Think I heard that even jail time is considered a possibility in Canada.

Very good point!

Wasn't Summit county or some ski areas in CO threatening jail time if people didn't follow the rules regarding multiple households sharing rentals etc.? That likely gets people's attention more than a fine, especially some skiers who may have plenty of disposable income.

newboots

Angel Diva
Somehow there is a tendency to feel these rules apply to others, not ourselves. We saw this at Thanksgiving when prominent politicians were seen dining with non-household members at The French Laundry, a very highly-regarded restaurant that requires reservations sometimes months in advance. We see it in the people refusing to wear masks. We saw it over the holidays, in amazing numbers.

And I've seen it in myself - thinking that if I pop across the border to go to Trader Joe's or connect with a friend, no harm will come from it. My NY license plates haven't arrived yet, and I know I could go across to Vermont with little fuss. I toyed with the idea of meeting friends at Mt. Snow. I shop at the supermarket although my daughter wishes I got curbside. We all feel as though we are the exception, we won't catch it, and won't give it to others.

Of course, there are two problems with all of this. First, at any time, I could be Covid-positive without knowing it. Second, millions of us have done this, particularly over the holidays, resulting in the horrifying numbers of cases and deaths we see now. None of those people thought they were spreading the disease!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah we all know about the governor and his dinner at french laundry...

newboots

Angel Diva
NY Governor Cuomo, after finishing another speech where he continually implored New Yorkers to stay home on the holidays, announced his 90-something year-old mother and his two adult daughters would be coming in for (Thanksgiving or Christmas, can't recall). This immediately resulted in a backlash and a change of plans.

I think it literally didn't occur to him. I think almost all of us have this feeling, that we are somehow not obligated to follow the rules, to some extent. Even I, after this sanctimonious couple of posts, spend time at my daughter's house. Her husband teaches in-school part time and the little one goes to daycare. Technically, I should stay alone in my apartment, or we should eat outside!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna