• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you get to Cannon yet?
We made it to Cannon yesterday. The rain kept people away, but it mostly cleared up around 10am. The snow was FANTASTIC. There were some snowmaking whales in some REALLY inconvenient places (why don't they groom these out???), but overall it was pretty great. I was stuck on the all the blue and green trails while the 5-year-old finds his ski legs again (and loses the wedge), but DH and the older boys were all over the mountain. We had to drag them off around 3 to go home!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@MsWax - they can't groom out whales until the water drains out of them. Otherwise, it's a dandy mess. Obviously, they blew them recently in the cold, then came warmer temps and drizzle. No va.

Maine is expecting up to a foot of snow starting tonight with Winter Storm Bruce. Sugarloaf is in the 12-18" zone! :yahoo:And it's still only November!!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MsWax - they can't groom out whales until the water drains out of them. Otherwise, it's a dandy mess. Obviously, they blew them recently in the cold, then came warmer temps and drizzle. No va.

Cannon seems to leave the whales for a LONG time after they make them. There are a lot of people who enjoy the extra obstacles (my older boys included), but the 5-year-old wanted nothing to do with them, and unfortunately, they were at trail junctions he couldn't avoid.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sunday River reporting 14 inches from the latest storm. Plenty of cold weather in the forecast for round-the-clock snowmaking. I'm hoping to be able to explore more terrain when I met up with Divas mid-December. I only get to SR during early season and have yet to get beyond the basic lifts that open first.
Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.56.24 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
I saw reports of people in the woods already. If things hold up I think you'll have much more to explore this time around, fingers crossed!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf is reporting 86 trails, 385 acres, including (first time this season) the east side.

And it's still November. :eek::thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf just passed 18", still coming down.
468 acres open.

Unfortunately, the major north-south 2 lane highway between Sugarloaf and "civilization" (a relative term...) is closed for some incident or other. DH and DS have been stuck in that traffic back-up for an hour. Thankfully, they're in a diesel truck that idles for hours. But....road could be closed for hours. So they are turning back and taking a seriously long detour.

I can't even use my tv to find out something, as the satellite dish is snowed in. Better go dig it out. :becky:

We are buried. This is insane. Good any time in the winter - but...it's still NOVEMBER.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Sunday River reporting 14 inches from the latest storm. Plenty of cold weather in the forecast for round-the-clock snowmaking. I'm hoping to be able to explore more terrain when I met up with Divas mid-December. I only get to SR during early season and have yet to get beyond the basic lifts that open first.
View attachment 9655

As long as we don’t have any dreaded r-word in the near future, and the temps stay reasonably cold, the coverage is currently better than I’ve ever seen it at this time of year, and on par to what we normally see mid-January. It’s incredible.

I would post photos from today but apparently I had the “live” function on and they’re too large for the site.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I hate that "live" function on my iPhone camera. What were they thinking?

I really like it in certain circumstances. I’ve gotten really good ski or mountain bike photos with it and you can choose which frame to use. But then I forget to turn it off and have snow/landscape photos that have an unnecessarily large file size. You can turn the “live” off once you took the photo, but that doesn’t change the size of the file.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf reporting 125 open trails, 759 acres open, INCLUDING Brackett Basin: earliest opening in its history. This.Is.The.Place.
46912905_10155590651726879_1132408160980566016_n.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf reporting 125 open trails, 759 acres open, INCLUDING Brackett Basin: earliest opening in its history. This.Is.The.Place.
Hmm, as long as there isn't a lot of snow on the roads, guess I should be seriously considering at least a day to check out Sugarloaf after Sunday River in a couple weeks. It's on the Ikon pass after all. :becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ugh I really want to check out Sugarloaf too, I've never made it there when it wasn't a sheet of ice previously! So many places, so little time!! Lol

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like there will be a few Divas at the Loon Demo Day on Fri, Dec. 7.

@Sparky : I drove to Loon in my NC minivan with no snow tires in early Dec a few years ago. Was not worried out it at all. Although it was tricky driving through Franconia Notch when I left Loon headed to Sunday River. There was a mini-blizzard just where I-93 narrows down. Even though the snowplows were on the road, it was coming down so fast that there wasn't any clear pavement. I was very happy when I got off onto US3 that is cleared up completely. The snow clouds were only on top of Cannon.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sounds like there will be a few Divas at the Loon Demo Day on Fri, Dec. 7.

@Sparky : I drove to Loon in my NC minivan with no snow tires in early Dec a few years ago. Was not worried out it at all. Although it was tricky driving through Franconia Notch when I left Loon headed to Sunday River. There was a mini-blizzard just where I-93 narrows down. Even though the snowplows were on the road, it was coming down so fast that there wasn't any clear pavement. I was very happy when I got off onto US3 that is cleared up completely. The snow clouds were only on top of Cannon.

That section can be REALLY dicey, I've had a couple of fun times up and down there when driving between SR and Loon actually!

But right for @Sparky just going up 93 from MA to Loon it's A-okay.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Burnt Mountain cat skiing starts Saturday at Sugarloaf.
:thumbsup:
ESu_NcIZoS5kCSaSDfkwuRRYe7dSsz-ZTroplCSbfnjHjOWzgLT_5UiENRzI4nINNA8=s0-d-e1-ft

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Cool! @MaineSkiLady will you be trying it out on opening day??
Alas, no. Not sure I'm quite up to that level - certainly not now, if ever? It's flat-out expert terrain. (I'm dealing with some physical problems right now that are regrettably restricting...)
I am, however, sending a family representative: my son, the flat-out expert.
He's booked for the 12:30 "ride" on Sat, Dec 1. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Alas, no. Not sure I'm quite up to that level - certainly not now, if ever? It's flat-out expert terrain. (I'm dealing with some physical problems right now that are regrettably restricting...)
I am, however, sending a family representative: my son, the flat-out expert.
He's booked for the 12:30 "ride" on Sat, Dec 1. :smile:

How cool, you'll have to let us know what his experience is like!

Can you expand on the type of terrain that it accesses? I can look on the Sugarloaf site later, I assume they must have a description or some vidual representation of the area?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna