• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

NH/ME 2018-19

marzNC

Angel Diva
In the past, Sundays have been less crowded. However, they did introduce a new pass this year, the "Bronze Plus"...the Bronze is weekdays only, and the Bronze Plus adds Sundays to the mix. It'll be interesting to see if the addition of that pass adds to the skier crowds on Sundays. I hope not ::fingers crossed::
Interesting. My home mountain in VA has a Special Value Pass that includes Sat night skiing and Sundays, along with anytime M-F. The other ski resort in VA has a season pass for people who don't own property there that is blacked out on Saturdays and Sunday mornings, but includes Sunday afternoons.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you are interested in views, Bretton Woods, when it's fully open, has them. You can look down on the Mt. Washington Hotel from its summit; that's a rush. Wildcat has great views from its summit; you can just barely see skiers hiking up Tuckerman Ravine on a clear day. Cannon, from its summit, gives tremendous views of Mt. Lafayette across Franconia Notch whenever it's not socked in with fog.

As a rule, Sundays are less populated at all New England mountains.
In general, Sundays are less crowded at every ski resort. Especially after lunch. Even for destination resorts like Alta or JH or Taos or Telluride or Squaw/Alpine, it makes a difference when the locals can make it to the mountain on weekends. Meaning on a regular winter day that's not a powder day.

Saw the view from Wildcat during early season in Dec 2014. It's fantastic! One of the reasons to ski the long green from the summit in my opinion. That was the first season after the new pole guns were installed. Very quiet and there was plenty of cover on the entire trail.

Wildcat 2014 - 3.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Apparently there is an annual ski swap in Concord, NH in early Dec. The Capital Ski Club swap will be Dec. 1, with stuff being accepted starting the Thursday before.

Capital Ski Club’s annual ski sale finds a new home, for now

". . .
Club president Cheryl Haydon said the group has secured a spot at 54 Regional Drive, near the Concord airport for the sale to be held on Dec. 1, the first Saturday of the month.

For the past 50 years, the Capital Ski & Outing Club has held its annual Ski and Skate Swap, which offers loads of used and new winter equipment and clothing, including snowboarding equipment, hockey gear, snowshoes and cross-country skis and boots.
. . ."

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another NH ski swap- Crotched is having one this coming weekend, October 27. I saw it posted on CL, of all places. For other ski swaps @ski diva also posted a list by region in a recent blog post.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just up at Bretton Woods, where I'll be teaching this upcoming season. The gondola will be done when they open the mountain for skiing; it's almost done now. It will definitely be used during ski season to deliver skiers to the summit. In the past it took two lift rides to get to the higher summit; the gondola will make that a shorter ride.

With the gondola in the game, there will be three lifts within walking distance from the lodge that get skiers to blue terrain, plus a beginner lift to beginner terrain. I'm guessing that weekend lines should be shorter. On weekdays there are no lines.

BWoods usually opens before Thanksgiving. They blow a ton of snow on grassy (not rocky) slopes, so it doesn't take them many cold nights to get terrain open. They offer those early December cheap tickets every year, for a limited time, just to get people there before Christmas vacation. I'm not sure you can still buy those tickets, but if they are still available, it's well worth it. But of course it's a gamble on how much terrain will be open before Dec 15.

If you are interested in views, Bretton Woods, when it's fully open, has them. You can look down on the Mt. Washington Hotel from its summit; that's a rush. Wildcat has great views from its summit; you can maybe just barely see skiers hiking up Tuckerman Ravine on a clear day. Cannon, from its summit, gives heart-stopping views of Mt. Lafayette across Franconia Notch -- whenever it's not socked in with fog.

As a rule, Sundays are less populated at all New England mountains.

I was wrong about when Bretton Woods' gondola will be functional. There have been unanticipated delays in getting parts. It will not be working when Bretton Woods opens in mid-November. The towers, the cable, and the cars are not yet in place. The loading station is done. It's right in front of the lodge. They hope to get everything finished and have the thing functional by mid-January.

Unfortunately this means skiing terrain will be impacted while trucks and cranes and so on go up and down the mountain - during ski season - on snow. I heard a description of what will be closed in order to allow construction vehicles access to the work areas but it was confusing to me.

I did get the impression that during Nov-Dec terrain will be more limited than normal. Should be "interesting."

MissySki

Angel Diva
I was wrong about when Bretton Woods' gondola will be functional. There have been unanticipated delays in getting parts. It will not be working when Bretton Woods opens in mid-November. The towers, the cable, and the cars are not yet in place. The loading station is done. It's right in front of the lodge. They hope to get everything finished and have the thing functional by mid-January.

Unfortunately this means skiing terrain will be impacted while trucks and cranes and so on go up and down the mountain - during ski season - on snow. I heard a description of what will be closed in order to allow construction vehicles access to the work areas but it was confusing to me.

I did get the impression that during Nov-Dec terrain will be more limited than normal. Should be "interesting."

Dang, bet they aren't happy it won't be done aherad of at least Christmas vacation week!

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

The gondola line is going in through the mountain's busiest green trails. This is going to have huge impact on the target clientele, beginner/intermediate family skiers.

Selfishly, I'm excited this may mean opening up more interesting earlier than usual due to lack of other options...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They will open the Zephyr and the West Mountain chairs first, and will get all the West Mountain trails fully open as fast as possible. At least that's what I heard two weekends ago when I was there. Rangeview will be first, as it always is.

I have a feeling that the main green trails coming down from the summit restaurant and all trails left of them will be inaccessible until this thing is finished. I'm not sure whether the Bethlehem Express will even be running, nor do I know about the trails between it and the Zephyr lift. Dunno about Crawford's either, but they need it for the boarders who want jumps.

The learner's quad and its trails should be open. There are green trails coming down from the Zephyr and West Mountain chairs.

@MsWax do you work at BWoods?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like the nor'easter might bring some (wet) snow to Wildcat on Saturday, and just plain ol' wet on Sunday.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They will open the Zephyr and the West Mountain chairs first, and will get all the West Mountain trails fully open as fast as possible. At least that's what I heard two weekends ago when I was there. Rangeview will be first, as it always is.

I have a feeling that the main green trails coming down from the summit restaurant and all trails left of them will be inaccessible until this thing is finished. I'm not sure whether the Bethlehem Express will even be running, nor do I know about the trails between it and the Zephyr lift. Dunno about Crawford's either, but they need it for the boarders who want jumps.

The learner's quad and its trails should be open. There are green trails coming down from the Zephyr and West Mountain chairs.

@MsWax do you work at BWoods?

My guess is that they will run the Bethlehem to get people to the restaurant...they want to make money. There is a green trail from there (Sawyer's Swoop) to the bottom that beginners should still be able to use, and then others can access the summit via the Rosebrook lift (once there is snow to support it).

I don't work there, but we ski there a fair bit. Cannon is our home mountain, but the glades there are too tight for me, so when the powder is good and I want to ski trees, we go to BW (but only on Sundays b/c lines...)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sunday River got a foot of snow! They are open with 1 lift and 4 trails. The Locke Mountain Triple is the only lift running. Day tickets are $35.

Mountain Report on 10/27/18
Today at Sunday River

The Yeti is stirring. We are in full force after Wednesday's whiteout, which gave us a foot of snow to play with. After the storm and tons of snowmaking, we added more terrain for top-to-bottom access. You can expect wide coverage and grooming on T2 and Upper Sunday Punch.

Mid-loading is still available on the Locke Mountain Triple, with skiing back to the base on Sunday Punch and Lower Punch. Below the midstation, some walking may be required on Lower Sunday Punch. The Locke Mountain Triple will start spinning at 8AM and the last chair, loading from the base, is at 3:15PM. An early-season park will be on Upper Sunday Punch, with a few rails to slide down on.
Lift tickets are $35 for all ages today, or just $28 with a Threedom Pass. Barker Lodge is open with skier services including lift tickets, food, and après-ski beverages, while South Ridge Lodge is your hub for season pass pickup, the ski shop, rentals, and the Mountain Grocer.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 9.56.59 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like there is a lot of snow on the ground in Maine after the recent storm went through. Made a mess in the NYC area for sure.

From another thread to help out a newbie who is thinking about buying her first pair of skis:
For consignment used skis (always clean stuff, Lionel makes sure), try Happy Tunes in Carrabassett Valley. The Sugarloaf Outlet store in Kingfield can have some nice deals on both new and used skis.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skied at BW with the kids on Monday. They had a decent selection of trails open, and then snow was pretty nice on all on of them! Looking forward to Cannon opening this weekend.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unexpectedly, given what I was told several weeks ago, Bretton Woods is blowing snow mid-mountain. To access that terrain (and the restaurant at the top of it) they'll have to open the Bethlehem Express, which I'd been told would stay on hold until more progress with the Gondola. My guess is that this lift will be open Saturday, maybe even Friday.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SR is amazing right now! Unfortunately it is scheduled to rain tomorrow, but nonetheless we will have managed 3/4 days of skiing for this long weekend. Gorgeous place. Love Maine!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking good for the post-Thanksgiving storm at Sunday River. Since I'm meeting up with Divas there mid-December, will be fun to watch more terrain open in the next few weeks.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 7.31.37 AM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna