• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Northeast mountains for adv. beginner?

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hi Divas,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I'm looking for recommendations for mountains in the Northeast that are good for advanced beginners. I know how to ski & have my own gear, but I haven't been skiing for that long (I learned at 16 and I'm 28 now, I only go skiing twice a season if I can even get out there so I can't even really say I've been skiing for 12 years haha). I can stop, turn, and all that jazz. I finally have a winter where I can get out on the mountain often and I really want to make progress. I usually stick to greens and will do some blues if I'm feeling confident. My husband is an excellent skier and I want to be able to keep up with him (vs. him slowing down with me haha).

We usually go to Stowe once a winter and I've been to Sunapee, Okemo, Jay's Peak, Ski Sundown, and Mt. Southington. I'd love to try new places, but I'm scared that when we get there, I'll find out the mountain is above my ability.

What I'm looking for is two-fold:
  • A mountain where there are plenty of beginner-esque trails to spend a day
  • A great lesson program where I can spend a morning and send my husband off to double black diamonds with his dad and brother

We live south of Boston so ideally if we're making a hike & staying overnight, I'd rather it be to a mountain with lots of trails I can do while lessons would be something within a day trip (less than 3 hours) that my in-laws can meet as at to ski with my husband.

Thank you!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Nice that you're looking for a place with a good ski school. That's really the best way to progress.

Bretton Woods has lots of terrain for your ability, but I'm not sure it would keep your husband very happy, if he wants to ski double blacks. You could also try Stratton, Killington, or Sunday River. All three have plenty of moderate and more difficult terrain, as well as good ski instruction.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It certainly isn't someplace with double blacks, but depending on where on the south shore you are, Wachusett can be good for day trips if you can get out during the week when it is quiet there. It has some nice blues to practice on, and a good lesson program. I'm in Quincy, and often drive up once or twice a week (I get the Bronze weekday pass.) PM me if you want to come check it out with me some time.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We usually go to Stowe once a winter and I've been to Sunapee, Okemo, Jay's Peak, Ski Sundown, and Mt. Southington. I'd love to try new places, but I'm scared that when we get there, I'll find out the mountain is above my ability.

What I'm looking for is two-fold:
  • A mountain where there are plenty of beginner-esque trails to spend a day
  • A great lesson program where I can spend a morning and send my husband off to double black diamonds with his dad and brother

We live south of Boston
Welcome! Between Stowe, Sunapee, and Okemo, which did you like the best? My guess is that your husband and the other advanced skiers in the family much preferred Stowe.

Can you get away to ski midweek? Wachusett has a weekly program for women. The high speed lifts at Wachusett make it easy to get in plenty of runs even in a few hours. Even the long greens are served by a detachable quad. Quite possible to learn fundamentals at a small hill that will translate directly to blues at bigger mountains. There is a Diva who teaches at Blue Hill on weekends.

Note that Stratton is pretty close to Magic. After a good snowstorm, my sense is that advanced skiers who can handle deep powder can have a very good time at Magic. But the nickname for Stratton among experts is not very flattering so not necessarily a good choice if travel plans have to be made in advance.

Wildcat and Attitash are on the same lift ticket. Could make for a fun weekend staying in North Conway. On a nice day, I think lapping the long green from the top of Wildcat would be a great way to get in mileage while enjoying the view of Mt. Washington. There is also a separate beginners area for lessons.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sunday River has two separate base areas with a bunch of green trails you can lap, it's also easy to get to blues once you feel comfortable. There are also lots of options for your husband from double black ungroomed trails on Oz peak, trails under the lift lines, and tons of trees once everything opens. They have a great lesson program as well if you were to be there multiple weekends, you can get a half or whole season program pass where you can do a women's group (which I've done in the past and loved), co-ed, racing, stumps and bumps, etc. I'm completely biased to it as it's my favorite mountain in the east, but it really does have great options for all levels to stay happy.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski Okemo a lot, and have a friend who is getting bored with their greens but not quite confident on their blues. Curious what people say here. Also anybody have experience with how Sunapee compares? I have the epic local so it would be a great option for me

marzNC

Angel Diva
I ski Okemo a lot, and have a friend who is getting bored with their greens but not quite confident on their blues. Curious what people say here. Also anybody have experience with how Sunapee compares? I have the epic local so it would be a great option for me
I have not skied at Okemo. Only spent a short day at Sunapee in early season. I was with someone who used to be an instructor there so he knew the mountain well and could give me a sense of the areas that weren't open yet. On a weekday when the slopes are empty, I think any intermediate would enjoy the Sunapee blues. The former instructor liked the way the greens were set up for beginners but I can't remember exactly why.

The newer lodge at the far side of the parking lot was nice. There is a free bag check.

The views of Lake Sunapee are marvelous.

Sunapee 2014 - 3.jpg

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I pretty much learned to ski as an adult at Sunapee, starting back when they were run by the State of NH. So I have a soft spot for the place. As with Okemo there are blue runs that are fairly easy and a couple that are a little more exciting from time to time. It really depends on the snow conditions, the general weather and the crowds. The thing in favor of Okemo is a lot more terrain. Sunapee is smaller. Their beginner area is totally separate with a dedicated lift and a magic carpet. For someone learning it’s reassuring that someone isn’t going to rocket by while you’re already trying to figure out how not to cross your ski tips! And as MarzNC pointed out, the lake views are beautiful! If you want to branch out and learn how to Kitewing, I can set you up with that in the area!

knolan12

Angel Diva
Welcome! Between Stowe, Sunapee, and Okemo, which did you like the best? My guess is that your husband and the other advanced skiers in the family much preferred Stowe.

Can you get away to ski midweek? Wachusett has a weekly program for women. The high speed lifts at Wachusett make it easy to get in plenty of runs even in a few hours. Even the long greens are served by a detachable quad. Quite possible to learn fundamentals at a small hill that will translate directly to blues at bigger mountains. There is a Diva who teaches at Blue Hill on weekends.

Note that Stratton is pretty close to Magic. After a good snowstorm, my sense is that advanced skiers who can handle deep powder can have a very good time at Magic. But the nickname for Stratton among experts is not very flattering so not necessarily a good choice if travel plans have to be made in advance.

Wildcat and Attitash are on the same lift ticket. Could make for a fun weekend staying in North Conway. On a nice day, I think lapping the long green from the top of Wildcat would be a great way to get in mileage while enjoying the view of Mt. Washington. There is also a separate beginners area for lessons.

Stowe is my favorite, but I learned to ski there so I think I'll always have a soft spot. I also love skiing down Toll Road and that I can switch it up at the bottom often for blues to get some more practice in. The husband and in-laws actually love Sunapee, but I think more for the location. They love Sunday River, but the annual trip has somehow gotten cancelled the last few years due to weather (I think I'm the jinx, it's when I started getting the invite hahaha).

For North Conway, would you recommend Attitash/Wildcat over Bretton Woods? We were talking about doing a weekend up there.

knolan12

Angel Diva

I think Sunapee is a little more accessible of a mountain. I haven't skiied Okemo in a while, but it was never my favorite (I always felt like I was like stuck on the mountain haha Once you're on, you're on vs. skiing to the bottom). I thought the blues at Sunapee were good for someone who's still getting comfortable. I did one black diamond which wasn't bad (a few quick, steep hills with a great lake view) and did fine until I realized it was a black diamond and got mad and crossed my skis haha It does get pretty busy on the weekends as it's not far from Boston.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They love Sunday River, but the annual trip has somehow gotten cancelled the last few years due to weather (I think I'm the jinx, it's when I started getting the invite hahaha).

Yeh, depending on what the trip was scheduled there were some pretty lousy conditions at SR the last couple seasons. I took my daughter Thanksgiving one year and there were only two lifts with skiable trails, no beginner terrain at all, and couldn't ski between the open sections. But when SR is open, it's good for all ability levels.

For North Conway, would you recommend Attitash/Wildcat over Bretton Woods? We were talking about doing a weekend up there.
Have only skied a day at Wildcat but going to check out BW in Dec. Maybe @liquidfeet could comment. She's going to be a BW instructor this season and has lots of experience teaching adult beginners. I know she's skied at Wildcat a fair amount, as well as Cannon and other places in driving distance of north Boston.

elemmac

Angel Diva

I can't speak much for lesson programs, but I can touch upon the trail map.

I'd consider Wildcat and Bretton Woods opposites when it comes to trail types. The Cat is a lot of really good advanced terrain, with a sprinkle of beginner trails mixed in. B Woods is mostly really good beginner/intermediate trails with a dash of advanced terrain.

I would consider Wildcat better for the "I'll take this trail, you take that one, and I'll meet you at the bottom", since all of the terrain really funnels down to the same lift. Whereas, Bretton Woods, is much wider, so would be more of a "I'll do my thing, you do yours, we'll meet at lunch".

I haven't been to Attitash in quite awhile, but if I recall correctly it's a lot of classic New England trails, long, windy, tree lined trails, with a biased towards intermediate terrain.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread for what you're looking for in a resort. I'll echo Sunday River, and Killington (mainly due to their size they really do offer everything, and have pretty solid ski schools). I'd also add Loon to the mix, lots of good terrain across the board.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have only skied a day at Wildcat but going to check out BW in Dec. Maybe @liquidfeet could comment. She's going to be a BW instructor this season and has lots of experience teaching adult beginners. I know she's skied at Wildcat a fair amount, as well as Cannon and other places in driving distance of north Boston.

I'll speak up for Bretton Woods for advanced beginners. Here's why.

1. Most of Bretton Woods' groomers are wide and low pitch. The snow quality stays good because the mountain is situated geographically in a "no wind" spot. So you probably won't be skiing trails with an icy skied-off surface. You'll find good grip, and lots of wide open space to make wide round turns that offer speed control.

2. There are no steep groomers at Bretton Woods. There are some steep pitches at the top of the mountain, but they are short and turn into blues or greens once one gets down the steep part. The trails are laid out so that a novice or tentative skier can go around those spots.

3. Since there are no steep groomers, the skiers that steep groomers attract stay away from Bretton Woods. That means you won't get buzzed by skiers zooming by you, showing their speed off to their buddies. This is a real benefit, as fast skiers rudely passing too close can be quite unsettling, not to mention dangerous.

4. A true beginner, needing to stay on greens exclusively, can ski off al but one the lifts at Bretton Woods. If you're willing to tackle a short blue drop, you can ski off all the lifts. So Bretton Woods offers lots of green and green-blue groomer options. So you'll find variety and won't get bored.

5. If there is a lot of snow and you are feeling somewhat adventurous, Bretton Woods has extremely easy glades with very low pitches and widely spaced trees. Be sure to ask a ski instructor or ski patrol which glades are the easiest before venturing in; don't rely on advice from a local skier because they may not understand what "easy" means. These glades usually fill up with snow pretty early in the season.

6. If you are accompanied by more advanced skier friends, they can stick to the glades. They are plentiful, pull off every lift, come in all levels of difficulty. Caveat: they are mostly short. True experts looking for a day of expert terrain to challenge themselves are not going to find much at Bretton Woods. Go to Cannon for that, nearby. Or Wildcat.

7. The trails were laid out by a professional trail-layer-outer. There's logic in these trail lay-outs. The views are beautiful, on a clear day.

8. If you bring kids on a weekend, there's a climbing wall inside the main lodge.

9. There are hair dryers in the ladies' bathroom downstairs. Just sayin'.

10. For apres, you can go across the street to the Mt. Washington Hotel. The lobby is well worth the visit. Go in ski clothes; you'll be one of many.
6842049166_848093373a_b.jpg

Last edited:

knolan12

Angel Diva
9. There are hair dryers in the ladies' bathroom downstairs. Just sayin'.

This is an excellent perk haha

I'm sold - I definitely want to visit Bretton Woods and my husband will be happy enough just being on the mountain so he'll be okay on the lower level trails. If the family heads back up to Sunday River for a weekend, I'll definitely take advantage of their lessons.

I missed last season due to a broken foot so I was already excited to get back out there and even more so now!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm sold - I definitely want to visit Bretton Woods and my husband will be happy enough just being on the mountain so he'll be okay on the lower level trails. If the family heads back up to Sunday River for a weekend, I'll definitely take advantage of their lessons.

I missed last season due to a broken foot so I was already excited to get back out there and even more so now!
Looks like a group lesson at BW is only $45 for 1.5 hr. I'm guessing the lesson that starts at 10:00 is less busy. Given that you are getting back on the slopes after missing a season due to injury, probably a good idea to start with a lesson or two. Really is worth the investment of time and money to have lessons as a beginner and even an intermediate. Skiing is a lot more fun when blues are not intimidating. Opens up a lot more options of where to go, especially on busy weekends.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm the instructor at Blue Hills! If you ever want to get in a lesson close to home let me know! I can do pretty much any week night (I'm there Tuesday and Thurs for a 4:30 school program but can teach after (hill closes at 9pm on week nights) we could also coordinate a weekend day too if that works better for your schedule but BH after 5:30pm on a week night is empty!

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I second Mt. Sunapee as a great beginner's area. Mt. Snow in Dover, VT has lots of beginner/intermediate terrain and the North Face area for expert skiers. Waterville Valley in NH also has great beginner's terrain and a front face full of blacks and double blacks.
How do the crowds on weekends compare between Mt. Snow and Waterville Valley? Snow seems to have more people driving from NYC or CT, while Waterville Valley is easier to reach from Boston or RI.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How do the crowds on weekends compare between Mt. Snow and Waterville Valley? Snow seems to have more people driving from NYC or CT, while Waterville Valley is easier to reach from Boston or RI.

I can't speak about Waterville Valley, but as the most southern large ski resort in Vermont, Mount Snow gets plenty busy. People from NY or CT get over the state line and STOP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly