• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New England Travel Restrictions (other than VT)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now hearing that VT has started to be restricted by other states for needing to quarantine or test before entering. So is it only NH and ME who remain unrestricted everywhere in the Northeast? Doesn’t it start to get ridiculous to say one needs to test and/or quarantine ahead of going both in AND out of each state in the region now? If you are restricted in both directions it could be that you have to quarantine for up to a month in some cases or test twice with or without some quarantine in other cases. Oh what a mess, and further evidence of the absurdity of not having regional standards. Now that almost every state in the Northeast is meeting the criteria for restriction (though it varies what that restriction level is in each place) why would we not have a larger perimeter versus state by state ones? We are tiny states in comparison to much of the rest of the country.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The New England travel restrictions have been such a headache and I completely agree that a regional approach would make more sense. I'm in RI, and haven't been able to go to Massachusetts since early August. Yet over the summer, we were able to go to CT, as long as we stayed less than 24 hours.

I bought the new Bronze weekday season pass at Wachusett this year in the hopes that I might be able to make it a few days, but as things get worse, I am truly not hopeful that I'll be able to ski at all this season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The New England travel restrictions have been such a headache and I completely agree that a regional approach would make more sense. I'm in RI, and haven't been able to go to Massachusetts since early August. Yet over the summer, we were able to go to CT, as long as we stayed less than 24 hours.

I bought the new Bronze weekday season pass at Wachusett this year in the hopes that I might be able to make it a few days, but as things get worse, I am truly not hopeful that I'll be able to ski at all this season.

I’m impressed that you’ve been following that restriction in RI, it doesn’t seem like most others do in either direction between MA and RI. Would it be easy to test when you want to go ski Wachusett? I know that might be more effort than it’s worth for a day trip there though.. I have a bronze pass there as well.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m impressed that you’ve been following that restriction in RI, it doesn’t seem like most others do in either direction between MA and RI. Would it be easy to test when you want to go ski Wachusett? I know that might be more effort than it’s worth for a day trip there though.. I have a bronze pass there as well.

THANK YOU for suggesting this - my understanding was that MA required a 14 day quarantine in the state regardless of testing prior to travel, which might have been true over the summer, but now I see a test within 72 hours + completing the travel form is an option. RI's testing capacity is strained, it was pretty easy to get a test over the summer but I'm hearing now that it's difficult to get an appt even a week out. Would definitely be a headache for a day trip, but at least it's a possibility.

Some folks just moved into my neighborhood and have two cars... one with RI plates and one with MA plates. I am following the rules, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, LOL.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
THANK YOU for suggesting this - my understanding was that MA required a 14 day quarantine in the state regardless of testing prior to travel, which might have been true over the summer, but now I see a test within 72 hours + completing the travel form is an option. RI's testing capacity is strained, it was pretty easy to get a test over the summer but I'm hearing now that it's difficult to get an appt even a week out. Would definitely be a headache for a day trip, but at least it's a possibility.

Some folks just moved into my neighborhood and have two cars... one with RI plates and one with MA plates. I am following the rules, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, LOL.

Back in early August both Governors Baker and Raimondo agreed that one could cross state lines for things such as grocery shopping and banking. I have been doing that since then. I go once every other week. The state line in East Providence Rhode Island to Seekonk Massachusetts is less than 8 miles from my house. The same stores in Rhode Island would be more than 20 miles. I go to BJ’s in Seekonk during senior hours. It is less than half a mile into the state of Massachusetts. So I figure I am not gaming the system too much but I am definitely being ecologically better by driving less.

I do sort of agree with Missy that New England could try and come together with a regional plan. But hotspots do spike up so perhaps that will remain impossible until we finally can get a vaccine in place. Since we know lots of people choose not to follow guidelines! Infuriating, eh?!

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in early August both Governors Baker and Raimondo agreed that one could cross state lines for things such as grocery shopping and banking. I have been doing that since then. I go once every other week. The state line in East Providence Rhode Island to Seekonk Massachusetts is less than 8 miles from my house. The same stores in Rhode Island would be more than 20 miles. I go to BJ’s in Seekonk during senior hours. It is less than half a mile into the state of Massachusetts. So I figure I am not gaming the system too much but I am definitely being ecologically better by driving less.

Given how small our states are, I think this makes sense, and I know folks doing the same. I used to live on the Maryland/DC line (could walk over it), so I really do understand.

I'm far enough down in RI that I'd only be going to MA for recreation (hiking and skiing). It's a bummer knowing people are going back and forth for all kinds of reasons, many of which involve much closer contact with other people than outdoor recreation, but I understand why the restrictions are in place. I agree that we won't see regional coordination in terms of opening up until we are much closer to a vaccine.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I do sort of agree with Missy that New England could try and come together with a regional plan. But hotspots do spike up so perhaps that will remain impossible until we finally can get a vaccine in place. Since we know lots of people choose not to follow guidelines! Infuriating, eh?!

That's kind of the point though, most of us are on a pretty level playing field now. Sure, there are hot spots, outliers, and people who don't comply everywhere, even within each state. What does that do though? I don't necessarily avoid towns within MA that have double the positivity rate of the rest of us for example. I just behave the same anywhere I go, and that is to act like every person and place you encounter is full of Covid. We know how to protect ourselves now versus back when this whole thing started, not to say any of it is full proof. I can see keeping travel restrictions of quarantine/testing for overnight visits, but for those coming in and out for an outdoor area especially I just think it's overkill at this point. I mean this is the strategy taken between some states in the Northeast, that 24 hour visits are exempt but overnights aren't, unfortunately even that can't be agreed upon with all of the Northeast together. So I know it won't happen, it's just unclear to me why it couldn't on a rationale level unless there was somewhere that was like April in NYC bad. Even once a vaccine comes we'll have to wear masks and follow the same protocols for quite sometime until it's widely available and some large percentage are inoculated. That's not going to be an insignificant timeframe after it's simply approved for use unfortunately.

marzNC

Angel Diva
FYI for those who live north of NJ/NYC, PA is starting travel restrictions based on individual testing soon. That will have the same impact on skiers in the Washington DC and northern VA (DC/NoVA) area as the VT travel restrictions do for CT/MA folks. Many DC/NoVA skiers consider Whitetail or Liberty as their home mountain. Along with Roundtop, those three resorts were sold by the long time owner Snowtime to Peak, which means they are now owned by Vail Resorts and on the Northeast Epic and other Epic passes.

PA travel restrictions are not quite the same as NY, but there are common elements such as requiring a negative test with appropriate timing to avoid self-quarantine. There are exceptions for people who live in PA and work in NY and vice-versa. But PA is not allowing neighboring states to be exempt in general. Not a surprise given that PA borders OH. Although right now parts of PA are worse than parts of OH, as well as WV and MD.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sure, there are hot spots, outliers, and people who don't comply everywhere, even within each state. What does that do though?
Off-topic a bit, but perhaps not for skiers. Colorado developed a county-level approach with key measures that trigger certain types of restrictions such as limiting hours for restaurants and bars. That's why Summit County and Eagle County have a different status right now. ABasin, Loveland, Keystone, and Breck are in Summit County. They are all open. Vall and Beaver Creek are in Eagle County. Vail plans to open this weekend.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Off-topic a bit, but perhaps not for skiers. Colorado developed a county-level approach with key measures that trigger certain types of restrictions such as limiting hours for restaurants and bars. That's why Summit County and Eagle County have a different status right now. ABasin, Loveland, Keystone, and Breck are in Summit County. They are all open. Vall and Beaver Creek are in Eagle County. Vail plans to open this weekend.

Massachusetts does this in an even more granular way down to the town level. There were times (maybe even now, I'm not sure since I don't eat out indoors) where the hot spot cities were not allowed to proceed to higher capacity limits for indoor dining and other restrictions that others were allowed to move on to for example. We didn't say that people in the state couldn't travel in and out of those areas in any way though.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massachusetts does this in an even more granular way down to the town level. There were times (maybe even now, I'm not sure since I don't eat out indoors) where the hot spot cities were not allowed to proceed to higher capacity limits for indoor dining and other restrictions that others were allowed to move on to for example. We didn't say that people in the state couldn't travel in and out of those areas in any way though.
Are the differences driven from the state level or by local authorities? In the southeast and other regions there are many states where local authorities have made separate decisions from the state. For instance in Kansas, the Governor deliberately left it up to counties to make the decision about a mask mandate. I view that as different from what Colorado has set up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Are the differences driven from the state level or by local authorities? In the southeast and other regions there are many states where local authorities have made separate decisions from the state. For instance in Kansas, the Governor deliberately left it up to counties to make the decision about a mask mandate. I view that as different from what Colorado has set up.

It’s from the state. They have mandates that say something like if a town is in our “red” criteria for a certain number of weeks they have to pull back this or can’t move forward on that as restrictions have ebbed and flowed. There have also been times where towns have gone above and beyond when necessary as well, particularly Boston since they’re so populated and have had higher rates in their area the whole time. They will sometimes wait an extra few weeks on things.

MissySki

Angel Diva
As an update, I got my test results back by email just now. I was negative obviously, and you can also tell because they will call if you are positive versus emailing. So I gave my sample at ~9:30am yesterday and just got my email right after 12pm today. Better than expected turnaround even though the process itself was disorderly and annoying. Serves its purpose. I know someone who went to a Framingham site Monday and had results in 18 hours. These are all run by the Broad Institute so they have a high throughput lab for this. I have heard Quest labs is a nightmare and taking over a week right now, so if you have the option don't use a facility who is running through Quest right now.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

You should check out the Wachusett thread. There are a bunch of us. https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/wachusett-2020-21.24926/page-3#post-420858

MissySki

Angel Diva
In MA's press conference today they specified that 2 of our neighbors are expected to be added to the naughty list here this week. Right now the only ones not on the list already that are neighboring states are VT, NH, and ME.. so we'll see who gets added Friday.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
In MA's press conference today they specified that 2 of our neighbors are expected to be added to the naughty list here this week. Right now the only ones not on the list already that are neighboring states are VT, NH, and ME.. so we'll see who gets added Friday.
Well as I’m all geared up to ski Bretton Woods this season, I sure hope that NH doesn’t put MA not enough naughty list which we well deserve with the numbers as of late...

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, Mass just added NH and ME to the list of states where you either need a negative cover test or a 14 day quarantine.

Reactions: alr

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, Mass just added NH and ME to the list of states where you either need a negative cover test or a 14 day quarantine.

Yep, as expected. Lucky for me I don’t leave the house much (and can easily stop it altogether as necessary in MA), so I think I can just do a test once per week and comply on both ends if I time it right.

Reactions: alr

alr

Certified Ski Diva
What’s kind of odd is that MA is saying we do not need to test to return if we go to VT only VT doesn’t want us.... also I saw a news article that NH is finally instituting a statewide mask order (finally), but then was exempting people exercising in a gym or otherwise? I need to go to the source since it was a MA Patch article... but well 1 member of my household is tested weekly for work and also we never go anywhere and can get free tests with planning in town, so we can comply with MA for our trips to NH. I think this MA update for travel restrictions is trying to make people be more careful for the thanksgiving holiday which I think is a good thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
On my way home from Lake Placid after driving up yesterday to help my friend pick up her daughter from boarding school. Staying in VA tonight and will be home in NC tomorrow.

There are no signs on the borders of NY or PA saying anything about travel restrictions. The special signs in NY were about the new law requiring seatbelts for back seat passengers. Also a few electronic signs that said something like "COVID IS STILL A RISK. MASK UP!" We were in NY for less than 24 hours and only drove through PA so didn't need to do anything special.

There was a sign at the motel in NY about the travel restrictions. Only question asked by the person who handled check in was if we knew that NY had travel restrictions. Didn't ask if the NY Travel Form had been filled out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna