• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

New England Travel Restrictions (other than VT)

marzNC

Angel Diva
On my way home from Lake Placid after driving up yesterday to help my friend pick up her daughter from boarding school. Staying in VA tonight and will be home in NC tomorrow.

There are no signs on the borders of NY or PA saying anything about travel restrictions. The special signs in NY were about the new law requiring seatbelts for back seat passengers. Also a few electronic signs that said something like "COVID IS STILL A RISK. MASK UP!" We were in NY for less than 24 hours and only drove through PA so didn't need to do anything special.

There was a sign at the motel in NY about the travel restrictions. Only question asked by the person who handled check in was if we knew that NY had travel restrictions. Didn't ask if the NY Travel Form had been filled out.
Got home in NC after a pretty uneventful drive. Seemed like more traffic than a usual Sunday in VA on US29, which I assume is because there are people driving for Thanksgiving. There were a fair number of non-VA plates. Plenty of Highway Patrol out looking for speeders, per usual for a holiday period.

To be clear, my friend's family did fill out the NY Travel Form online within a day before we crossed the border into NY. It's mainly collecting info related to potential contact tracing.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Going to cross my fingers that VT stays on the list of "lower risk" states for Massachusetts for at least a couple of more weeks. We are trending ~slightly~ lower than last week and our test percent positivity rate has dropped 0.5% from its peak of 2.1%.

My mom is self-quarantining/isolating for the next 2 weeks - she and my dad live together but are basically roommates and don't eat together or sleep in the same room - and I'm hoping to be able to pick her up in 2 weekends. I do not trust her to drive around here and don't want her to have a car here. I live on a dirt road up a hill that ices over frequently.

The plan is to drive to Massachusetts, load the car, then turn right back around. I've already mentally mapped out the restrooms closest to the Vermont/New Hampshire border and am hoping that I get a good night's sleep the night before so I don't need to caffeinate or hydrate too much, hah!

Mom will stay with us for the next 2 months which is really nice. My MIL is moving into the in-law cottage forever (and what a nightmare that's been - our ex-tenants were psycho) so Dr Pugs had zero grounds to object. She will be safer than around my dad who has been very irresponsible during this pandemic. Hopefully Dr Pugs will be eligible to get the vaccine early on (he has an ICU leadership position on top of his duties as a surgeon) and the risk to our household will be greatly diminished.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Going to cross my fingers that VT stays on the list of "lower risk" states for Massachusetts for at least a couple of more weeks. We are trending ~slightly~ lower than last week and our test percent positivity rate has dropped 0.5% from its peak of 2.1%.

My mom is self-quarantining/isolating for the next 2 weeks - she and my dad live together but are basically roommates and don't eat together or sleep in the same room - and I'm hoping to be able to pick her up in 2 weekends. I do not trust her to drive around here and don't want her to have a car here. I live on a dirt road up a hill that ices over frequently.

The plan is to drive to Massachusetts, load the car, then turn right back around. I've already mentally mapped out the restrooms closest to the Vermont/New Hampshire border and am hoping that I get a good night's sleep the night before so I don't need to caffeinate or hydrate too much, hah!

Mom will stay with us for the next 2 months which is really nice. My MIL is moving into the in-law cottage forever (and what a nightmare that's been - our ex-tenants were psycho) so Dr Pugs had zero grounds to object. She will be safer than around my dad who has been very irresponsible during this pandemic. Hopefully Dr Pugs will be eligible to get the vaccine early on (he has an ICU leadership position on top of his duties as a surgeon) and the risk to our household will be greatly diminished.

I'm confused about what your concern is on the exemption. Are you worried about coming here to pick up your mom if VT is taken off of the list and being required to test or something? I would consider your driving in to pick someone up and then leaving immediately essentially the same thing as just passing through. I surely wouldn't stress about that.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I'm confused about what your concern is on the exemption. Are you worried about coming here to pick up your mom if VT is taken off of the list and being required to test or something? I would consider your driving in to pick someone up and then leaving immediately essentially the same thing as just passing through. I surely wouldn't stress about that.
I just didn’t want to be stopped at the border and asked where I’ve been! But as you mentioned in another thread, looks like that’s unlikely...

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just didn’t want to be stopped at the border and asked where I’ve been! But as you mentioned in another thread, looks like that’s unlikely...

I feel this would fall under the “transitory travel” exemption. I’m driving to ME Wednesday and returning Sunday, happy to update on whether there were any issues at the border since I pass through NH. I don’t expect that to be the case at all though.

RI has been off of MA’s exempt list for months now, is in much worse shape than NH, and connects to multiple points in MA.. there are no border checks or issues. I can assure you that MA and RI people cross the border constantly for much more than traveling through, I’ve done it plenty myself.

Your plan sounds very reasonable regardless. The only wild card is if the post holiday rates spike like crazy and forces more drastic enforcement I guess. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Skivt2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
VT is on CT’s list. We quarantined from 11/3 to 11/18 to go to VT. We will be living in VT this winter and decided we needed to move in two steps. So we are going back to CT for two weeks soon and then back to VT for at least a couple months. The two weeks we will be in CT was originally contemplated at necessary to return to VT but ironically it’s now required by CT because we travelled to VT. At least both quarantines can overlap.

newboots

Angel Diva
The two weeks we will be in CT was originally contemplated at necessary to return to VT but ironically it’s now required by CT because we travelled to VT. At least both quarantines can overlap.

Just reading this is giving me a headache. Has someone written a computer program to help the confused know where they can go, and doing what which when (why?)? I’m beginning to agree that a regional approach would have been preferable.

I’m just staying in NY so I don’t have to quarantine. I’ve gotten quite good at mask, social distancing, hand washing, and general germophobia. My brain can’t handle more and still remember all the ski gear and snacks!

alr

Certified Ski Diva
VT is on CT’s list. We quarantined from 11/3 to 11/18 to go to VT. We will be living in VT this winter and decided we needed to move in two steps. So we are going back to CT for two weeks soon and then back to VT for at least a couple months. The two weeks we will be in CT was originally contemplated at necessary to return to VT but ironically it’s now required by CT because we travelled to VT. At least both quarantines can overlap.
Every state is on MA quarantine list except for HI now, and to me that makes no sense because you have to take a plane and mix with all kinds of people to travel from HI to MA. When we go to NH to ski, we are just going to test upon our return. Hopefully NH continues to make it easy for the outbound trip.

heatherrrrz

Certified Ski Diva
I just want to go skiing this year, but with all the restrictions it looks like my only options might be here in CT. I was just in Maine in October when there was literally no one in the drive thru testing area and now I'm sure all of them are full every day

MissySki

Angel Diva
Back in line for the same good ole testing site :thumbsup: Today when arriving 2 hrs early for site opening I’m only around 20 cars back whereas last Tuesday I was at least 50. I was kind of surprised that the rush of after holiday testing seems better than the pre-holiday one last week considering people are supposed to test or quarantine when returning from pretty much everywhere. Though there are plenty of people behind me now as well. Brought some appropriate reading with me to pass the time!

A36F639D-C2F0-4F75-B7D2-7BFF771DB4B7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in line for the same good ole testing site :thumbsup: Today when arriving 2 hrs early for site opening I’m only around 20 cars back whereas last Tuesday I was at least 50. I was kind of surprised that the rush of after holiday testing seems better than the pre-holiday one last week considering people are supposed to test or quarantine when returning from pretty much everywhere. Though there are plenty of people behind me now as well. Brought some appropriate reading with me to pass the time!

View attachment 14225

At what ungodly hour did you have to get there to still be 20 cars back?!

MissySki

Angel Diva
At what ungodly hour did you have to get there to still be 20 cars back?!

6:13 am to be exact haha. A few minutes later than last week when I was ~50 cars back though so I was happy when I pulled in. Wasn’t sure what I’d find when arriving today. I was out by 8:17am and back home now. Works well as a “before work” activity at this site for me. When I was leaving they had the entrance temporarily blocked and were not accepting anymore cars because they were full inside. The site opens officially at 8am, so rude surprise for anyone thinking they’ll show up just after opening.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
You had to show up TWO HOURS EARLY to get tested??? I would probably have planned on just skiing Wawa the whole season! :yardsale:

MissySki

Angel Diva
You had to show up TWO HOURS EARLY to get tested??? I would probably have planned on just skiing Wawa the whole season! :yardsale:

This is my 3rd week and yes that seems to be the best option to get out early enough to not cut into my work day. It really isn’t that bad honestly, and if I could just remember to check the sites that require appointments at the correct time then I can start doing that too. The appointment site I want opens slots 3 days in advance and I forgot to check it Saturday. I’ve just resigned myself to it for now. Amazing how quickly something can become a habit.

Ummmmm no way lol. Have you skied Wachusett? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice local option for sometimes (and is my backup if needed this season), but I get bored with too much grooming there. I like terrain variety and bumps and trees if at all possible haha. My preference most days is to not leave ungroomed terrain except to get to more ungroomed terrain when conditions allow. It’s a very small price to pay for a free test to sit in my car playing online or reading a book for a couple hours per week early morning until I just stay in ME for longer periods when more snow comes.

This is what I was referring to on your other post regarding showing up later in the morning to park at Killington and finding lots full though. People who are from out of state and jumping through the hoops I am to comply and be allowed to go up and ski are likely to be darn sure to get to the mountain at or before opening time for a good parking spot too. Not saying any of this is really rational lol. The 4 days I just skied in Maine were more than worth it though. :dance:

MissySki

Angel Diva
My negative test result came through email and into my patient portal at 3:30am, so only ~19 hours to receive it this time!

I’m so impressed with the Broad Institute’s throughput and fast turnaround times. I mean the 19 hours is from me leaving a sample, they don’t actually have the samples at that point for analysis. I’m so curious of their overall process such as getting samples from each site to them, when this takes place each day, and how labor intensive the sample extraction is etc. Given the fact that my test results came in at the wee hours of the morning, they must have people working around the clock. I wasn’t sure previously since the last two weeks my results came through midday the day following sampling.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m so impressed with the Broad Institute’s throughput and fast turnaround times.
Thanks for the reports about your testing experience!

Broad Institute was doing regular testing for many colleges in New England starting back in September, especially those within a few hours drive of Boston. Meaning testing of all students, faculty, and staff more than once a week. That was only going to help if the turnaround was very quick. Obviously can't ask people to self-quarantine for days after every test in that type of situation.

Availability of quick and free or at least low cost testing makes a huge difference to any region, large or small.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the reports about your testing experience!

Broad Institute was doing regular testing for many colleges in New England starting back in September, especially those within a few hours drive of Boston. Meaning testing of all students, faculty, and staff more than once a week. That was only going to help if the turnaround was very quick. Obviously can't ask people to self-quarantine for days after every test in that type of situation.

Availability of quick and free or at least low cost testing makes a huge difference to any region, large or small.

RI is going to be partnering with the Broad now for some of their testing as well. Anyone following RI knows that they are in some serious trouble compared to the rest of New England right now. Their state lab is unable to keep up with an appropriate demand levels and their hospitals are just about at capacity. My friend is an emergency room doc in RI ( though usually pediatric), and she is super concerned about the current situation there with the field hospital addition etc. She’s not one to get overly excited about anything with facility capacity this whole time, so I definitely took note of her fears this week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna